Cold Day Blues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cold Day Blues in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well I'm afraid these negative degree days here in Colorado are taking its' toll on my '06. Starting it up ...
    ImEpayne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Cold Day Blues

Well I'm afraid these negative degree days here in Colorado are taking its' toll on my '06. Starting it up in the morning I have a serious power steering pump wine for about 20 seconds. I'm getting a chirp that won't go away from my water pump pulley. And my clutch goes down but comes back up very, very slowly for the first 3-5 minutes. None of these symptoms were present on warmer days, and once warmed up these symptoms go away (except for the pulley chirp).

Are these symptoms I should worry about failures in the future or is it just having an attitude towards the weather. She's got about 93k on her and completely stock.

Anyone else getting some funny things happening with this chill?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Re: Cold Day Blues

I am nowhere near as cold as you but have noticed similar things when it gets cold enough down here in Texas. The clutch thing I noticed the other night when it was in the teens and that was the first time it felt a little off to me. and the only so far. I had a power steering whine once when it got very cold and noticed my fluid was low so put more in and it went away instantly.

BDV

I do have a slight PS leak, but the fluid is where it should be at. Hoping the pump isn't going bad...

Redxped1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v 04 cts-v

Mine did the same thing back in late nov when it started getting cold I parked it for the winter. Very happy i'm not driving it in this -20 windshields

tophat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Pulled the V out of the underground garage yesterday for an hr, temps -20 with -30-50 windchills, clutch pedal was pretty stiff as it was last year when I drove it thru the winter....I had the PS whine once last winter also.....I would not be too worried the cold weather does lots of funny things to every car, just make sure the fluids are fresh and you warm the car up before putting lots of stress on the motor and you should be fine.

Thanks for the re assurance ladies and gents. Glad to see similar symptoms.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Was -16 this morning here, -4 right now, but my car is doing fine ... been sleeping for nearly three months now with battery tender hooked up.

Don't envy you guys having to drive your Vs in this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I bet those cars are liking the taste of that cold air though.

Wish I could get a drive with those temps on a dry salt free road.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

While it doesn't seem to really cause many problems overall, the power steering pump is working way to hard to push really cold, thick fluid through it when its this cold. The sound it's making cant be good for it in the long run but I'm more worried about blowing a steering rack seal than anything.

Just bought my v and I've heard it make a little noise when it gets down in the 20s but it got down to 4 here last night and she raised hell for about 5 minutes before finally shutting up.

That has sent me looking for a quick solution.

By searching here I discovered GM makes a high performance PS fluid that is good in cold climates but since I live in the south, nobody close by stocks it. Went to advance and the only thing they had that was rated for low temps was some Prestone fluid made especially for Hondas that is rated to -40.

Because I'm working 14 hour overnight shifts on a conveyor line install at a BMW plant here in town, I don't have the time or energy to sit through someone doing it for me and I'm to drained to do it right myself so I've been doing the "turkey baster" method for changing my fluid (using the cheapie Prestone stuff) so hopefully I won't blow the rack seals out of this thing trying to pump cold sludge through it tomorrow morning.

I've sucked the reservoir dry 3 times now by stopping along the way during my commute and once again when I got to work. I'll do it a couple of more times when I go to lunch and by then I will have a cycled 3 pints through it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'll report on tomorrow to let you know if this worked.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Changed PS fluid last summer just because it was the last fluid that I hadn't flushed. Had no issues and it was only slightly brown. I felt a noticeable difference after flushing. Smoother feeling steering. I don't remember which line I pulled, you'd have to read up on that.
    -I just unhooked one of the lines, pushed a piece of clear tubing over it and ran it to a empty bottle. Plugged the port where the line went into the reservoir. Start the car for like 2-3 seconds, refill the reservoir... repeat a few times until clear fluid.

The procedure I saw on here was to jack the car up to unload the front tires, pull one of the cooler lines loose and cycle the steering left to right with the engine off to push as much out of it as you can.

Mine has 160k and my fluid looks like hammered ass.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

When I bought my V the steering was cutting out on cold days and the pump was whining. I flushed the system with Amsoil power steering fluid (over 3 years ago now, it's due to be changed again) and it hasn't given me any trouble since.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    The procedure I saw on here was to jack the car up to unload the front tires, pull one of the cooler lines loose and cycle the steering left to right with the engine off to push as much out of it as you can.

Mine has 160k and my fluid looks like hammered ass.
    I did something similar, except I disconnected the return hose, and put it in a large container. Then I had someone start the engine and slowly turn the wheel left to right as I poured new power steering fluid into the reservoir. Did this until there was clear fluid coming out of the return hose. Took less than 20 minutes and the entire system was filled with fresh, clean fluid.

I was able to use the turkey baster method to flush 4 pints of fresh ps fluid through the system over a couple of commutes, stopping here and there to do it while the fluid was warm along the way.

Although the fluid is still a little darkish, I'm pleased to report that the pump is quiet and seemingly happy at this point.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

IIRC - the V doesn't hold much PS fluid at all. Seems excessive going through pints and pints of that stuff, but maybe you guys aren't paying the exorbitant prices I had to pay. Think one pint cost me about $35 from the local stealership here. Welcome to Canada. I bought that pint of "cold weather" GM fluid last year and "turkey basted" that through the system. All my cold weather squeal completely stopped and has remained quiet through this winter as well. Including some -20ish startups. Ugh..I always cringe when I turn the key on those mornings. But if Wifey is working that morning too, her '04 Mazda3 gets the garage over my car (she leaves well before I do).

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The GM cold weather power steering fluid, (GM Part Number 12345867) which is a synthetic blend, can be ordered online at reasonable prices (e.g. Pace Performance). Incidentally, this fluid is supposed to provide better high-temperature performance as well so it is not a seasonal product. I suspect other good synthetic blends will provide good results (e.g. the Amsoil already mentioned).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.