Replace Oil Pan?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CTSV_Rob
  • 1 Post By ajedwardsjr
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Replace Oil Pan? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I went to a new shop that I had never been to before (with this car) and they discovered a ...
    ajedwardsjr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Replace Oil Pan?

I went to a new shop that I had never been to before (with this car) and they discovered a problem with my oil drain plug.

The last shop that I had been using, for maybe about 50,000 miles or so, maybe about 10 or 12 oil changes, had apparently stripped the threads from the oil pan, and had done some kind of makeshift repair by coiling a spring about the drain plug, so that it would stay in. Really shoddy makeshift repair. This shop, the old shop, never mentioned this to me. Didn't mention that they had stripped the threads. Didn't mention that they had temporarily solved the problem that they had created.

The new shop recommends that I get a new oil pan. Yikes! About $600 for the part, and another $1200 or so for labor. I understand why it's so labor intensive - they are going to have to both drop the exhaust and hoist the engine. Big job.

But, do I really need a new oil pan? Seems like overkill. Is there not some way to weld in a new plug on the pan? To repair the pan, in other words?

And, most important, who pays for this?

Me?

Or the old shop that stripped the pan in the first place?

And how do I prove their negligence?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Replace Oil Pan?

Any good shop should be able to install a heli-coil , which looks like a spring.

You sure that wasn't removed?

Entirely possible. Maybe the shop put that in and thought it was a good enough fix that they didn't need to tell me about it. They didn't charge me for it. Strange, though, they that didn't tell me. As in, "Hey, look, we inadvertently over-torqued your oil pan drain plug and stripped the threads. But, we have a really first class repair part, a heli-coil, which we'll install for free because it's our fault, and we'll guarantee it for as long as you own this car."

Instead, they just put it in?

I'll look into this.

Thank you for your input.

Heli-coils are very reliable and should not come out very easily.

Maybe they stripped the threads and that is what you are looking at (removed threads).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhM5AAT5NV4

Miles Davis?

Nice video, anyway.

It does look like a heli-coil had been put in. But, maybe the same thing happened to my car as to the vehicle in the video.

It looks like a repair is very doable, and that this whole idea of a new oil pan needs to get shit-canned.

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

Perhaps too many oil changes? Seriously if your on syn wait for the 10K.

But the heli-coil should be fine.

What do you guess think about putting in an expansion plug?

I really am not interested in buying a new oil plan. That just seems silly.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

There are several very good repairs that can be made to a damaged oil drain plug with the pan in place. You need to find a mechanic that can actually fix something. There are Heli-Coil inserts, Tap-Lock inserts, custom made bushing inserts as well as welded repairs that can be made. This is no big deal for a mechanic that can find his a$$ with both hands.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by ajedwardsjr View Post
    What do you guess think about putting in an expansion plug?

I really am not interested in buying a new oil plan. That just seems silly.
    I think the video was made by a guy who had an expansion plug.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

The heli-coil is a trusted and proven way to fix this problem if it is installed right. Your old shop knew this but weren't sure if you would understand so instead of telling you and taking the chance that you would freak out and insist on a new pan, they just fixed it and went on.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

It is interesting that your new shop didn't know what it was, That would have me concerned.

We install Heli-coils on any part that is aluminum where I work. Just makes the part last longer so if installed correctly, this is better than factory. If installed incorrectly (IE, not tapped properly) then you could potentially scrap the part. Hope you can save her, $1,800 to fix this is nuts.
    lollygagger8 likes this.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Agree w/rob. Speaks from experience. There are also "save-a-plug" solutions that are just a bit larger in diameter with self cutting threads that work well if installed properly, but Helicoils, thread certs, tap a thread, etc. are all industry standards and done correctly excellent permanent fixes.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

I need to check out these "save-a-plug" out, they sound cool.

I have used Keenserts in the past however a tap and insertion tool is required, it is not a self tapper.

The only issue I see with these is where the o-ring would land for the plug. You would need to get one with a big enough OD so it would land on the Keensert and then seal the Keensert so it would not leak oil. the other potential problem would be do you have enough aluminum for this plug.

There is risk involved with any of these solutions and I hope you find something that works. Please post the results with pictures.

Very concerned. Concerned that they did't know what a heli-coil was. Concerned that they didn't suggest one of the many save-a-plug solutions on the market. Concerned that they really wanted me to spend $1800-$2000 on a new oil pan.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Is the plug leaking at all? If not, then the fix the first shop did is apparently fine.

As others have said, it's pretty frickin' strange that the new shop doesn't know what a heli-coil looks like. Can't help but wonder if they were playing dumb in the hopes of getting you to agree to a more expensive repair.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.