FML Road debris through my grill! Advice needed.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By aantalis
  • 2 Post By PISNUOFF
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, FML Road debris through my grill! Advice needed. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yeah loads of fun here on the commute home! the pictures do not lie. The car in front of me ...
    Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

FML Road debris through my grill! Advice needed.

Yeah loads of fun here on the commute home! the pictures do not lie. The car in front of me flung this bar of death up and hammered me pretty good... I was hoping for a straddle, but it bounced too high.

The tool poked a hole in my A/C condenser(?)/radiator. Any tips on a replacement? Also I need to take the front facia off to repair the lower grill, any how-tos on removal?

Luckily the radiator and oil cooler look okay so far.

----------

The lower valance paint is all messed up as well... Boo!

... I know, "that ish will buff out".

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Redxped1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v 04 cts-v

Re: FML Road debris through my grill! Advice needed.

you can get the lower grill out with out taking off the bumper but its a pain its a lot easier and safer to just pull the bumper four 10mm bolts and a lot of clips

aantalis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V Stealth Grey 2003 CTS Sunburst

Take the bumper fascia off. Its a learning experience. After a few times you will be able to do it in 10 minutes. And its fun to drive around with it off.
    odla, lollygagger8 and Pillow like this.

This weekends weather looks terrible, but I will keep you all posted as this gets fixed.

The way it looks now, I think I can DIY repair properly. Buff the paint where the "tool" kit the lower valence. Repair or replace the lower mesh insert. And get a new or used A/C condenser and place it in.

I agree rolling without a valance might get some interesting stares.

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    This would be a comp claim which does not affect premium. Why not file the claim. IIRC the lower grill is over 500 from dealer.

... Hmmm, let me check into that then. I haven't had a claim in 23 years, so maybe I am due.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    This would be a comp claim which does not affect premium. Why not file the claim. IIRC the lower grill is over 500 from dealer.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
    ... Hmmm, let me check into that then. I haven't had a claim in 23 years, so maybe I am due.
    All the more reason to file a claim! This sort of thing is exactly why you've paid your insurance company thousands of dollars over the past 23 years.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

69stangscj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 69 Mustang Mach I
    I'll bet you have $1000 in damage there.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    I'd file the claim ... I had my bumper replaced if my memory serves me correct it was more than 500 for just the from bumper at the dealer and besides you can have them fix the other damage and check on the radiator

PISNUOFF Guest

Holy crap!!! That thing could have killed someone through the windshield.
    odthetruth and BigDaddy-V like this.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

That was my fist thought when I saw that thing! That would have been something terrible if it was flying any higher or bouncing around!

BDV

Very true! That bar is heavy and would have been nasty if it hit/went through a windshield.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I'd file claim if ya could... but either way..

Removing front bumper is just something like 8 clips at the top (LEAVE 2 AT THE TOP. ONE ON EACH SIDE), few on the bottom if you still have the under-engine cover (or whatever it technically is called), and 3 in the wheel well. Seperate the wheel well liner, and there's 3 10mm screws and bolts you gotta remove (1 screw, 2 bolts). Use a 10mm deep socket. Probably easiest to get at it by removing side marker. Once you get the bolts loose and the screw out on each side, you push that side forward to disconnect it from the fender. Then you remove the top 2 clips I told you to leave at the beginning, and you take the whole bumper and grill assembly out in 1 shot.

The radiator is 2 bolts underneath and 2 on top if i'm not mistaken, and you'll probably have to disconnect the fan and move it forward a bit to have some play room. I don't remember if I had to do that with the radiator, but I know I had to with the alt.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.