Question for Dreaming or any other Brake Gurus
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Question for Dreaming or any other Brake Gurus in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; What is hands down, no cost concern, the best Dot 3 Brake fluid?...
    slow35th is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Question for Dreaming or any other Brake Gurus

What is hands down, no cost concern, the best Dot 3 Brake fluid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Question for Dreaming or any other Brake Gurus

Quote Originally Posted by slow35th
    What is hands down, no cost concern, the best Dot 3 Brake fluid?
    Castrol SRF or ATE 200 DOT4

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Motul 600 DOT 4

V-Max Guest

I guess it depends on what you mean by best? Just because it is expensive, doesn't mean it is best for your application.

Norm

Dennisscars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

The best: Castrol SRF (518F / 590F -- wet/dry boiling points) - $90/liter

Followed by: Motul 600 (420F / 593F) - $15/liter

DRM recommends Castrol SRF or Motul RBF600 due to their high wet boiling points. All brake fluids absorb moisture, some faster than others. Castrol SRF resists moisture contamination (non-hygroscopic) more than any other fluid we tested, therefore change intervals can be greatly extended.

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    The best: Castrol SRF (518F / 590F -- wet/dry boiling points) - $90/liter

Followed by: Motul 600 (420F / 593F) - $15/liter
    I'm paying $11 for Motul. I'd try the Castrol, but $90 is a bit rich for my blood.

I run Motul also.

I run Motul also.
    FYI guys, Motul is the best however it sucks water like no tomorrow. Extreemly hydroscopic, I used it. It also plays hell with rubber parts. Doesent cause anything to leak but does deform the parts. It has to be changed frequently.

Stick with the ATE or SRF. Best all around street stuff and best bang for the buck is ATE. Read the test reports.

Yep... Lastss hates Motul...

CTS-VPaco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven/Ebony CTS-V

I ran ATE Super Blue in my ITR and never had problems. Great stuff, IMO!

Now, I got a question, maybe y'all answer here for me:

Brake pads and rotors? I want a good pad that dusts less than stock and a two piece slotted (not drilled) rotor. Anyone got any tips on where to look for this?

Yep... Lastss hates Motul...
    I dont hate it ...its good stuff but It makes rubber look like the moon. Ran it for 2 years but had to keep changing it, it was just a pain. Its really for racing where it gets changed often.

V-Max Guest

ATE Super Blue also.

Norm

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

First off, why did the original question specify 'DOT3'? That's history now. What matters is DOT5.1 (the best 'normal' spec) and DOT4. DOT5.1 and DOT4 are chemically compatible with DOT3 fluids - does any automaker still use DOT3 in production?

The problem with DOT3 fluid is the 284degF wet boiling point. Unless you change your fluid every month what matters is the wet boiling point, not the dry. Ford developed a fluid for the GT40MkII program that had a stupendous (for the time) 500degF dry boiling point, and they used this fluid in production for the next thirty years, but it was still only a DOT3 fluid because the wet boiling point wasn't that good.

DOT5 was a spec for silicone brake fluids with a very high boiling point but a long list of problems, for one it's completely incompatible with normal fluids. I know it's used in some show-car trailer-queens and some industrial equipment but it's not what you want for a car that actually gets driven. DOT5.1 is not DOT5. DOT5.1 is a synthetic ester formula.

Castrol SRF is not DOT3, I don't think it's DOT anything, it's not compatible with other brake fluids, for anything but an absolute hard-core racer with no street ambitions it's silly.

Motul 600 is not DOT-anything either, it's got good specs and is good for weekend track cars as long as you change the fluid before every event. I agree with lasstss that it goes 'soft' very quickly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

ATE Super Blue is chemically identical to ATE Typ 200 but while the Typ 200 is DOT4 the Super Blue is not DOT-anything - the spec requires an amber color. Some Porsche/BMW types like to rotate between the two - when you see the new color come out the caliper you know you've flushed the entire system. They're both good stuff, more than adequate for any street use and most recreational/non-race track use.

Castrol LMA was for a long time the only DOT4 fluid you could find in normal parts suppliers, I used it for about 20 years from the late '70s onward, it's still good stuff.

Valvoline Synpower is also very good stuff, and is probably the easiest 'good' fluid to find.

If those aren't good enough then it's one of the DOT5.1 fluids from AP, Wilwood, Motul, etc. (which should be good for the normal two-year change intervals, or more often if you track) or Motul 600 (and change it every two months.)

For what it's worth I use the ATE, Castrol LMA, and Valvoline pretty much interchangeably in the street cars (including the M5 and SHO that see occasional track time), was using the Motul in the track Mustang (and presumably will again when it comes back...)

Motul 600 is not DOT-anything either, it's got good specs and is good for weekend track cars as long as you change the fluid before every event. I agree with lasstss that it goes 'soft' very quickly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.
    In my experience... i have to disagree... i haven't bleed my V brakes for 5 months... and have a Laguna Seca event on the current fluid... no 'soft' pedal.

In the wife's car (Mini Cooper S)... the motul is over a year old... again no 'soft' pedal (no track events in that time)

Wonder if Motul changed their formula in the last few years

Castrol SRF is not DOT3, I don't think it's DOT anything, it's not compatible with other brake fluids, for anything but an absolute hard-core racer with no street ambitions it's silly.
    If money is no object... why not run it on the street? It's not very hydro-scopic... and i dont know what "it's not compatible with other brake fluids" means. It's not silicon based... so a full flush of the current fluid in the car should be sufficient.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.