Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Has anyone travel with a real spare tire in thier V?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave's V 
#1 ·
I have new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on my 2004 V and would like to get a full size spare or emergency spare for long road trips. Any suggestions....

TIA,

PS8411

#5 ·
just drop it in the well (you have to take out the tub---see cadillacfaq.com for that one). The wheel is snug in the well and unless you are doing the Dakar rally, you wont have to worry about it. The cover doesnt fit, so that may be an issue for you...

Florian

#6 ·
I have a spare rim with an EMT on it (and TPS in it) in the trunk (note: I do not have EMT's on the car). The cover doesn't seal like it did before - can't screw it down and the plastic (side down) moves around a bit much for me so I turned it over and all is good now (plastic facing up).

#8 ·
also, what type of jack are you using and I assume you bought a 4 way lug wrench? benjet, I hadn't thought about tps . . . I am planning on using one of my current runflats with the wheel as is as the spare and then buying a new wheel for one of the new tires - I guess I will need to buy another tps for the new wheel?

#9 ·
I'm going with a spare because I do a lot of highway driving and the stock V tire size isn't widely available. Then you can take your tire to the correct shop and have it fixed right.

Mine will also have a TPS installed. The TPS is a great safety feature, plus it will be mandatory on future cars real soon.

#10 · (Edited)
benh said:
thanks; if you put the wheel in upsidedown, can you possibly use the nut to keep it in place and then use the inside of the wheel as a storage well?
Well maybe, I suppose, I haven't tried it. My thoughts on that are that when I go over speedbumps currently I can hear the tire bounce in the trunk (since it's not secured), I would worry about the face of it becoming scratched in some way without a heavy towel or the like under it, heck I think I need to try that anyway.

Also getting the wheel in and out might be a bit of a pain (but not impossible) without the up facing spokes to grab hold of.

As to the jack/wrench I haven't gotten to getting/putting one in the V yet, my flat since the EMTs have been off happened overnight at my house so when I came out in the morning all I needed to do was drag the jack from the house out.

As to the TPS when I had the flat I just swapped the spare on, I did not reset the TPS to show the new tire (the punctured one went into the trunk), so I had the 4th wheel reading 0 PSI (it certainly can read inthe trunk!) for a long time (took me forever to get around to getting another tire), which kept the TC/ST fully engaged at all times. I suppose I could have remedied this by just reseting the TPS to show the new tire, but then I would have had to do it again when I put the spare back in the trunk. Just FYI. So you CAN run without TPS if you want to, just not in the TC/ST off modes.

More info than you asked for.

#12 ·
I just purchased a set of GS-D3s and a Mille Miglia rim to mount the best remaining F1. I had to have a patch placed on one of the F1s while at Sebring and the tire place did not return the locking lug key. I realized this a month later and naturally, the key was forever lost. Yesterday I went to the dealership where I asked them to use their master locking lug kit to remove the three remaining locking lugs (should take 10 min.). I arrive last evening just as the service manager was leaving. I examined the wheels and EVERY RIM WAS GOUGED! :helpless: I asked the service manager why the lugs were broken this way and he said they did not have a master lug lock key set. Just before I handed him the car keys last week I said, “Do not damage the wheels.” To top it off they were going to charge me over $100 (labor) to remove the locking lugs!!! Just another sad tale in a string of incredibly bad service experiences at Val Ward Cadillac in Ft. Myers, FL. I’ll find out today what they intend to do about the rims— I expect a replacement set.

Once this debacle ends, I’ll let you know how the new tires and MM/F1 spare turn out.

#13 ·
thanks, benjet and others; good info all the way around; now I must make the determination of when to swap out the runflats with the GS D3s that are coming this week . . . I want to run the runflats to a little less than 1/2 treadlife, which I am guessing may be about 4K (so I can mount them back before turing her in at the end of my lease - 3yrs), then put the GS D3s on and mount a runcrap on a spare wheel; by the way, how many miles can I expect out of the GS D3s, I am hoping for about 25-30K?

#15 ·
pmsteinm said:
My GS-D3s are almost done at 6k miles (same as the EMTs). Good thing they are on sale.
I was told by my service tech (who is great with the V by the way) that he would never use Goodyears - they just don't wear well. His suggestion - Michelins or Pirelli's. He said the same thing; the GS-D3s won't give many more miles of wear than the F-1's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.