Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  fre1102 
#1 ·
I want a better exhaust note, anyone change just the mufflers to get there? I'm looking for suggestions, brand names etc...I heard LAWFIVE's Corsa, it sounds great! Since I'm not going to do any mods on the car, I just want the LS6 to sound like an LS6.

Thanks

Bob

#2 ·
Bob,

I heard SoCalV's B&B yesterday; it sounded great, too. You guys should get together; he's pretty close to you.

#3 ·
Well, the trouble with a muffler change is the angle the pipe and muffler connect, not to mention the hanger is right at the junction.

I did a mod to the stock exhaust, and am pleased with the results, and many who have heard it in person seem to like it as well.

http://www.karsxtremeperf.com/photo6.html I have a sound clip there.

#4 ·
CTSV05 said:
Well, the trouble with a muffler change is the angle the pipe and muffler connect, not to mention the hanger is right at the junction.

I did a mod to the stock exhaust, and am pleased with the results, and many who have heard it in person seem to like it as well.

http://www.karsxtremeperf.com/photo6.html I have a sound clip there.
Yeah, I had the car in the air today and the mufflers are short and at a wierd angle. The guy at the shop said he could get some Magna Flows in there but I want the car to sound like and LS6 not a '63 Impala.

What did you do to your cars exhaust?

Bob

#6 ·
CTSV05 said:
I opened up the resonator and did some work, but mostly, I took the 3-4 lbs of 'glass out of the mufflers!!!!

You'll need a welder so you can close everything back up nice and tight.
Ya think if I open up the mufflers and rip out that glass that'll work huh? I'm game brother!

Thanks!

Bob

#7 ·
Why, I've seen it happen!!!!LOL!

Obviously this is purely anecdotal, but, I can now turn on the T/C shifting into 4th, when before the exhaust I couldn't.

I like it, 'cuz its still stealth, but when you jump on it, it sounds much more throaty.

#8 ·
Most of the Caddy's I've owned I just cut the rear muffler off and straight pipe it! Nuttin like the BLUB BLUB BLUB of a low output big block!

#9 ·
I cut the stock tailpipe just in front of the rear tire well and used some spare pieces of tubing with 45 degree bends to make my own tailpipe. I then used 2 of the shortest magnaflow mufflers (side inlet, center out) with their shortest polished round tips. The install was done entirely be me at home with hand tools. It was not too hard. The final result is a racier sound, but still (too) quiet, with no freeway resonance. I think it sounds much like the regular B&B exhaust. When I'm around town I wish it was louder (I ran my previous mustang with no mufflers on the street), and when I'm on the highway, it is just right.

#10 ·
JKG said:
I cut the stock tailpipe just in front of the rear tire well and used some spare pieces of tubing with 45 degree bends to make my own tailpipe. I then used 2 of the shortest magnaflow mufflers (side inlet, center out) with their shortest polished round tips. The install was done entirely be me at home with hand tools. It was not too hard. The final result is a racier sound, but still (too) quiet, with no freeway resonance. I think it sounds much like the regular B&B exhaust. When I'm around town I wish it was louder (I ran my previous mustang with no mufflers on the street), and when I'm on the highway, it is just right.
Clearly you like your cars very loud (i.e. mustang w/no mufflers).

Do the Magnaflows make any crackle sounds or popping? I'm looking for a clean LS6 sound (like a ZO6).

Thanks for the input.

Bob

#13 ·
CTSV05 said:
I opened up the resonator and did some work, but mostly, I took the 3-4 lbs of 'glass out of the mufflers!!!!

My exhaust guy thought I'd been smoking crack at the suggestion this morning, he's going to make some calls and get back to me! What's the worst that could happen? I don't like the sound, trash the stock mufflers and try the Magnaflows!

Bob

#14 ·
With the magnaflow mufflers, it is not too loud. No crackling or backfiring. Just a little louder. If someone outside the car is paying attention, they will notice, but if they are not looking at you, you will not attract attention. I ran for a week with only small glasspacks at the rear. It was more my sound, but still not too loud. The stock resonator keeps things quiet. But, that way there was a bit of higway resonation. The trick is getting good sound under acceleration but no resonation at freeway speed. I am not sure the best way to do this - it has been a problem with every V8 i have owned.

I cut off the back of the stock system and it is sitting in my garage. Anytime I want, I can put it back with exhaust band clamps easily. If you feel a little adventurous, the magnaflows install pretty easily. You can save a ton of money over aftermarket systems, which look pretty similar to me.

#15 · (Edited)
JKG said:
With the magnaflow mufflers, it is not too loud. No crackling or backfiring. Just a little louder. If someone outside the car is paying attention, they will notice, but if they are not looking at you, you will not attract attention. I ran for a week with only small glasspacks at the rear. It was more my sound, but still not too loud. The stock resonator keeps things quiet. But, that way there was a bit of higway resonation. The trick is getting good sound under acceleration but no resonation at freeway speed. I am not sure the best way to do this - it has been a problem with every V8 i have owned.

I cut off the back of the stock system and it is sitting in my garage. Anytime I want, I can put it back with exhaust band clamps easily. If you feel a little adventurous, the magnaflows install pretty easily. You can save a ton of money over aftermarket systems, which look pretty similar to me.
So are you running the car with or without the stock resonator??

Have you run it without the resonator and just straight pipes into the Magnaflows?

The Muffler shop wants to put on the Magnaflows and keep the stock resonator in place, if that's not loud enough he will replace the resonator with an X pipe. X pipes will put highway drone into the interior so I want avoid that.

Thanks for the input

#16 ·
I am running with stock resonator and magnaflows. I agree that if we remove the resonator and just run magnaflows, there will be a lot of interior resonation on the freeway. I have done extensive exhaust experimentation on several different american V8's. I think the best results (in terms of good sound under accleration but no resonation) come with 1. side exiting exhaust (not under car), or 2. maybe valved mufflers that open flaps in response to RPMs (like Ferrari, porsche, and i think some mustangs).

I am curious to hear the Corsa system, but I don't think it is possible to make serious noise with acceleration with resonation. My taste is louder than most, though. Good luck, and I would like to hear what you find...

#17 ·
I've got a magnaflow x-pipe in place of the resonator, 4" round magnaflows 2' behind the resonator and 4x9x14 magnaflows in place of the stock mufflers. It sounds like a 'vette wide open and is generally quiet at cruise. there is some resonance in the interior beginning at 2000 rpm to its loudest at about 2400 rpm then tapers off. It does drone at 75-80 mph.

I tried it without the 4" rounds and the drone was worse, but at WOT it was about the same. It sounds really good and unless I'm on the interstate at higher speed cruise, it doesn't bother me.

I'm very picky about exhaust. I always want max power but as quiet as possible. By example I have a 1971 Buick GS with a 470 making just over 550 hp and I use a 3" Dr. Gas x-pipe with Walker Super Turbos that ar 5 1/2x11x20 in offset/offset. This type of muffler supports high horsepower with very low noise. They are borderline for my application and I probably should have tried them with the V. However, in offset/center they are not unrestricted "S" as is an offset/offset.

I will gladly take anyone for a ride. I'm in south Georgia, Moultrie.

Mickey

#18 ·
I'm going to put on the Magnaflows on Tuesday, (not the round ones, the other) if that isn't loud enough they will put on the X pipe. I'll probably put on new rear tires at the same time, they're bald at only 7,200 miles I wonder why?
:burn:
Thanks for the input

#19 ·
CTSV05 said:

Any chance you have pics of the work you did? Where to cut to mufflers? How much glass was removed ?

I too am looking for the LS6 Z06 Sound vs. the Cut-Out Camaro SS sound.

:thumbsup:

#20 ·
Do any of you guys who've replaced your mufflers still have the stock ones lying around? I am thinking of putting together a "frankenexhaust" with a 3.6L dual exhaust and v mufflers (and tips) for my 03 CTS with the 3.2L engine.

#24 ·
Oh man...I have to disagree. The previous owner of my V just cut out the OEM mufflers. It's too loud (and sounds not great to boot) and it does nothing for performance--at least it seems absolutely no faster than the V I rode in with an OEM exhaust.

Then again, I guess that's personal preference. I do not at all like drawing more attention to the car, and when I pull the exhaust to add headers, a full system--with mufflers--is going in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.