Anyone change mufflers only?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone change mufflers only? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I want a better exhaust note, anyone change just the mufflers to get there? I'm looking for suggestions, brand names ...
    Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

Anyone change mufflers only?

I want a better exhaust note, anyone change just the mufflers to get there? I'm looking for suggestions, brand names etc...I heard LAWFIVE's Corsa, it sounds great! Since I'm not going to do any mods on the car, I just want the LS6 to sound like an LS6.

Thanks

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Re: Anyone change mufflers only?

Bob,

I heard SoCalV's B&B yesterday; it sounded great, too. You guys should get together; he's pretty close to you.

CTSV05 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Well, the trouble with a muffler change is the angle the pipe and muffler connect, not to mention the hanger is right at the junction.

I did a mod to the stock exhaust, and am pleased with the results, and many who have heard it in person seem to like it as well.

http://www.karsxtremeperf.com/photo6.html I have a sound clip there.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV05
    Well, the trouble with a muffler change is the angle the pipe and muffler connect, not to mention the hanger is right at the junction.

I did a mod to the stock exhaust, and am pleased with the results, and many who have heard it in person seem to like it as well.

http://www.karsxtremeperf.com/photo6.html I have a sound clip there.
    Yeah, I had the car in the air today and the mufflers are short and at a wierd angle. The guy at the shop said he could get some Magna Flows in there but I want the car to sound like and LS6 not a '63 Impala.

What did you do to your cars exhaust?

Bob

I opened up the resonator and did some work, but mostly, I took the 3-4 lbs of 'glass out of the mufflers!!!!

You'll need a welder so you can close everything back up nice and tight.

I opened up the resonator and did some work, but mostly, I took the 3-4 lbs of 'glass out of the mufflers!!!!

Ya think if I open up the mufflers and rip out that glass that'll work huh? I'm game brother!

Thanks!

Bob

Why, I've seen it happen!!!!LOL!

Obviously this is purely anecdotal, but, I can now turn on the T/C shifting into 4th, when before the exhaust I couldn't.

I like it, 'cuz its still stealth, but when you jump on it, it sounds much more throaty.

Most of the Caddy's I've owned I just cut the rear muffler off and straight pipe it! Nuttin like the BLUB BLUB BLUB of a low output big block!

JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I cut the stock tailpipe just in front of the rear tire well and used some spare pieces of tubing with 45 degree bends to make my own tailpipe. I then used 2 of the shortest magnaflow mufflers (side inlet, center out) with their shortest polished round tips. The install was done entirely be me at home with hand tools. It was not too hard. The final result is a racier sound, but still (too) quiet, with no freeway resonance. I think it sounds much like the regular B&B exhaust. When I'm around town I wish it was louder (I ran my previous mustang with no mufflers on the street), and when I'm on the highway, it is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by JKG
    I cut the stock tailpipe just in front of the rear tire well and used some spare pieces of tubing with 45 degree bends to make my own tailpipe. I then used 2 of the shortest magnaflow mufflers (side inlet, center out) with their shortest polished round tips. The install was done entirely be me at home with hand tools. It was not too hard. The final result is a racier sound, but still (too) quiet, with no freeway resonance. I think it sounds much like the regular B&B exhaust. When I'm around town I wish it was louder (I ran my previous mustang with no mufflers on the street), and when I'm on the highway, it is just right.
    Clearly you like your cars very loud (i.e. mustang w/no mufflers).

Do the Magnaflows make any crackle sounds or popping? I'm looking for a clean LS6 sound (like a ZO6).

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

want a better exhaust note, anyone change just the mufflers to get there? I'm looking for suggestions, brand names etc...
    Do a search in the CTS-V forum on electric cutout. maybe that's an option for you?

If I ever get caught up, I am going to do some extensive mods to another exh I have, then I'll be anxious to see the results of that.

"Huh, no its stock....."

My exhaust guy thought I'd been smoking crack at the suggestion this morning, he's going to make some calls and get back to me! What's the worst that could happen? I don't like the sound, trash the stock mufflers and try the Magnaflows!

Bob

JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

With the magnaflow mufflers, it is not too loud. No crackling or backfiring. Just a little louder. If someone outside the car is paying attention, they will notice, but if they are not looking at you, you will not attract attention. I ran for a week with only small glasspacks at the rear. It was more my sound, but still not too loud. The stock resonator keeps things quiet. But, that way there was a bit of higway resonation. The trick is getting good sound under acceleration but no resonation at freeway speed. I am not sure the best way to do this - it has been a problem with every V8 i have owned.

I cut off the back of the stock system and it is sitting in my garage. Anytime I want, I can put it back with exhaust band clamps easily. If you feel a little adventurous, the magnaflows install pretty easily. You can save a ton of money over aftermarket systems, which look pretty similar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKG
    With the magnaflow mufflers, it is not too loud. No crackling or backfiring. Just a little louder. If someone outside the car is paying attention, they will notice, but if they are not looking at you, you will not attract attention. I ran for a week with only small glasspacks at the rear. It was more my sound, but still not too loud. The stock resonator keeps things quiet. But, that way there was a bit of higway resonation. The trick is getting good sound under acceleration but no resonation at freeway speed. I am not sure the best way to do this - it has been a problem with every V8 i have owned.

I cut off the back of the stock system and it is sitting in my garage. Anytime I want, I can put it back with exhaust band clamps easily. If you feel a little adventurous, the magnaflows install pretty easily. You can save a ton of money over aftermarket systems, which look pretty similar to me.
    So are you running the car with or without the stock resonator??

Have you run it without the resonator and just straight pipes into the Magnaflows?

The Muffler shop wants to put on the Magnaflows and keep the stock resonator in place, if that's not loud enough he will replace the resonator with an X pipe. X pipes will put highway drone into the interior so I want avoid that.

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.