Hows this rear differential bushing look to you?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Hows this rear differential bushing look to you? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Here's a picture I took today of it. I can't tell if it's manufactured like that or if that's a ...
    .:stealth:. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Hows this rear differential bushing look to you?

Here's a picture I took today of it. I can't tell if it's manufactured like that or if that's a legitimate crack down the side there on the right... Comments, thoughts? I've been having some hellacious bucking into 2nd and 3rd gear. It feels like the drive train is a bit clunky when I'm on and off the gas while cruising down the road. (more than the usual clunky feel) Feels like there's a bit of a 'delay' in when the power gets to the wheels, a thud is felt, then the power is delivered. However, there's no 'audible' thud, it's just.. felt. I thought it might be the damn motor mounts (again) but they're in damn near perfect condition and not leaking. I felt around the top of them and no cracks or anything. I also checked the tranny mount too, which appears very healthy. (it should be, they were all replaced 5K miles ago) On another note, in my adventures under the car today, I happened to notice the damn output seal on the tranny is leaking. Good thing I spotted that because the warranty expires in like... 250 miles. ALSO! I smacked my head on the drivers side control arm pretty darn good and it left a nice lump... this is not relevant to anything, but I just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks for the input guys:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: Hows this rear differential bushing look to you?

Mine looked better than that, and after a Revshift poky replacement, the clunk is significantly reduced. Mostly caused by my stock flywheel now.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Mine looked better than that, and after a Revshift poky replacement, the clunk is significantly reduced. Mostly caused by my stock flywheel now.
    Understand the Revshift idea... sounds great, but if I can get a stocker for free under warranty, I'll do that. I intend on selling the car very soon and I'm not interested in installing aftermarket parts.

At any rate, does that picture resemble a cracked bushing to you? Or is it manufactured like that?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Mine was almost entirely gone when it was replaced by Lindsay Cadillac...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Mine was almost entirely gone when it was replaced by Lindsay Cadillac...

Wow... as in the rubber was completely gone? Here I am bitching about what appears to be a crack in the rubber. Yours must've made a helluva racket then.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Just replace it and be done with it. Just like the MM's, it will go bad if it hasn't already.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

See them quite often completely destroyed.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

I have a UUC one for sale... came with the extra diff i bought

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

yea i sincerely doubt that they'll replace that, mine was about touching the bottom of the hole.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

yours looks to be in good shape. Mine looks similar with 103k on it. When I push up hard on the front of the diff where the driveshaft attaches it only moves a half inch at most there with very little if any movement where the bushing is - just some flex to the rubber. Not worth replacing and car drives well. That sloppiness you have during on/off is probably a combination of the small amounts of gear thrash between the transmission, driveshaft and the differential's internal gears, along with a little movement on the stock bushing.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by .:stealth:. View Post

Wow... as in the rubber was completely gone? Here I am bitching about what appears to be a crack in the rubber. Yours must've made a helluva racket then.
    To say the least...

Motown Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Silver V Sport Susp.

Yes it's cracked.

Massey Cadillac of South Orlando replaced it under warranty. They also fixed the leaking output shaft seal on the tranny. Only paid a $100 deductible, and the total bill? $1420 lol.. glad I didn't have to pay that! This was 200 miles before the warranty expires too! Lucked out big time. It no longer bucks into gear and feels more 'tight' on acceleration and decel. 2 months before this I had all the motor mounts replaced, so the car is now ready to be sold without a single thing wrong with it!

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

The clunk can be reduced but you will never get rid of the clunk without swapping the stock differential to either an 8.8 or 9". Stock differentials clunk from the factory. The stock garbage bushings, dual-mass flywheel, and driveshaft are all additional contributors to the clunk.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.