Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New '05 V owner would like some insight ...

kck77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe & 2005 CTS-V Platinum

New '05 V owner would like some insight ...

Hi all,

As I have noted in a post a few days ago, I have recently purchased a 2005 V. As a past and present owner of GM performance vehicles, I know that maintenance is key to a long happy relationship with your car. After spending hours reading through posts and other material, I have noticed ( like with many performance vehicles ) that aftermarket parts are usually the choice of most when it comes to repairing and replacing parts…. this leads me to my question: In regards to the V1, is using aftermarket parts really that much better than oem ( where oem parts are still available) ? The V I purchased has 50,000 miles and no apparent need for immediate attention, but I am going to go through the car and do a full maintenance of all fluids, filters, etc, and replace a bunch heavily wearable parts consisting of diff/carrier/trans bushings, motor mounts etc. I do not track, race or abuse the car…. just a little spirited driving. I get a really good discount at my GM dealer on parts and would prefer to simply head down to the parts department and purchase all the oem fluids that were originally used in the car ( power steering fluid, transmission fluid, diff fluid, limited slip fluid etc) as well as all the original oem bushings, filters, motor mounts etc… .. OR is it worth the time to research aftermarket fluids and parts and track everything down. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks

… I should add the car is completely stock and has never had any thing replaced
    Last edited by kck77; 11-13-13 at 05:33 AM.

rand49er is offline All V1s should be maggied.
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2017 Volt Premier
    South Lyon, MI

Re: New '05 V owner would like some insight ...

Getting an aftermarket shifter and a CAGS eliminator are two that come to mind immediately. Based upon your driving style, I wouldn't do anything else.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels, plus a couple more. Mustang dyno'd at 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Going to the dealer and getting all brand new OEM parts would be fine if you don't beat on it. But it's not going to be cheap.

As an example, I believe that the list price of an OEM transmission mount is $523. Figure an hour for them to R&R and you are looking at close to $650 out the door.
    -Even if your local dealer gave you 50% off you'd still be looking at $260 for a new trans mount.
    -The popular alternative is the RevShift insert, $40+sh and 15 minutes to install.

It just depends on the part, some like mentioned above makes sense to do aftermarket. For things like fluids, filters, I like to use OEM.

+ Reply to Thread

Cadillac Posting Rules