Just bought a high mileage '06 V, what should I fix/repair/replace?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Just bought a high mileage '06 V, what should I fix/repair/replace? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I recently traded in my 2003 cts 3.2L w/ 5sp for a 2006 Cts-v with 110,000mi on the clock. So ...
    wiskey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Just bought a high mileage '06 V, what should I fix/repair/replace?

I recently traded in my 2003 cts 3.2L w/ 5sp for a 2006 Cts-v with 110,000mi on the clock. So I am no stranger to the CTS or these forums. It was a 1 owner car, basically brand new tires, the dif makes zero noise and it was priced right so I figured I would pull the trigger! Have to say so far I am glad I did. I have typically always owned high mileage cars (traded the '03 in with 140k) and enjoy maintaining them.

I have already done a partial tune up and have already replaced:
    oil and filter change
    new plugs
    plug wires
    swapped out a very dirty air filter with a new K&N drop in
    new fuel filter

Will be changing fluid in both the Trans and Rear End this weekend
    -was planning on GM syncomesh in the trans and some GM Synthetic Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-90 w/GM Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive in the dif. Anyone have other recommendations?

Lastly, What are some things I should go through and check/replace. This car is 100% stock.
    I read alot about drive train rubber bushings failing and needing replacement. I'd like to keep a stock ride and worry a poly replacement would create a lot of extra vibration.

I would like so advice on a drivetrain noise i get. Under hard acceleration at high RPM's when I press the clutch in to shift I hear a loud "bang", I've read this might be due to bad motor mounts. Anyone know what I'm describing?

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

Re: Just bought a high mileage '06 V, what should I fix/repair/replace?

the bang is most likely motor mounts.. mine did it, my buddies did it.

check condition of transmission mount. the stockers like to collapse. if collapsed you have 3 options. 1.creative steel trans mount. 2.revshift insert for stock mount. 3.stock trans mount.

id also replace the cabin air filter.
    check the condition of the shocks.
    check condition of the stock shifter for play, look into new shifter.
    check condition of the clutch fluid, swap if dirty.
    check power steering fluid.
    check/flush brake fluid.

wiskey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    the bang is most likely motor mounts.. mine did it, my buddies did it.

check condition of transmission mount. the stockers like to collapse. if collapsed you have 3 options. 1.creative steel trans mount. 2.revshift insert for stock mount. 3.stock trans mount.
    Thanks for the info, I should have said I planned on going through and replacing all fluids.

Out of thoes 3 options, I see the poly mounts come in a softer option, IE. the CS black mounts for "daily driving" do you have any experience with these?

i have the creative steel poly mount, and my friend has the stock mount with revshift insert... lately ive been questioning if the creativesteel mount was too soft for my liking.. the product seems of excellent quality but just may not be for me.

PISNUOFF Guest

I would suspect the differential bushing or the dual mass flywheel also for the clunk.

I run Amsoil fluids in my trans and differential.

brian has your trans been built? my reading suggested that synthetics in a stock t56 would harm some of the fiber components... unless the amsoil youre running isnt synthetic...

tophat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Got my 04 with 111,000 on it. Have changed the MM to Revshift blues, love them..Changed all the fluids except the trans which I will be doing in the next few weeks, do a quick search as I think a lot of guys are using some different fluids. Just replaced my radiator as it finally cracked…other than that if it was taken care of and you keep that process up you should be good.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Neither GM or tremec will recommend the synchromesh fluid for the T56 - do some more research on that before you decide, I'm not an expert. I used 3 parts Redline D4 ATF and one part Redline MTL. Some others reported they liked it. Just changed out the original last week with 103k on it. Shifts fine with the new stuff and is quiet. I was happy with how the stock Dexron3 was shifting so I'm still happy.

As far as that BANG you heard .... happened to me once, although I'm sure I could recreate it if I tried. I accelerated hard in first gear and suddenly let off the gas. I'm positive it was the rear diff slapping back with all that torque released. Mine has the original bushing and it isn't too clunky when I drive smoothly so I haven't replaced it yet. If I replace any bushings/mount though that will be the first one to go.

PISNUOFF Guest

That's old info about the synthetic not being good for the T56 blocker rings. My trans has been fine for many years of abusive driving with Amsoil Torque-Drive.

alpicone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Raven CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    As far as that BANG you heard .... happened to me once, although I'm sure I could recreate it if I tried. I accelerated hard in first gear and suddenly let off the gas. I'm positive it was the rear diff slapping back with all that torque released. Mine has the original bushing and it isn't too clunky when I drive smoothly so I haven't replaced it yet. If I replace any bushings/mount though that will be the first one to go.
    I get the same bang. Pretty sure it is coming from the front driver side and sounds like the motor falling back in to place due to a bad mount.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

that's certainly possible too.

one mine and my buddies, same case as alpicone.. motor was torquing up and banging. sounded nasty

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I bought my V recently to get a bit more "cush" in the family hauler, but not sacrifice any of the power that I've grown accustomed to. I just swapped in all the RevShift blue poly bushings and mounts and did not feel they added any harshness to the Cadillac ride. In fact, several annoyances were tamed because the stock parts were so worn out, and my car only has 49K!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.