Vibration after Exploding Diff
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Vibration after Exploding Diff in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I recently exploded my Gen 1 diff after only 155k miles. I replaced with a used gen 3 and inspected ...
    JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V

Vibration after Exploding Diff

I recently exploded my Gen 1 diff after only 155k miles. I replaced with a used gen 3 and inspected the driveshaft and axles. There was no significant play in the joints and the carrier bearing was smooth and without sound. After re-installing and driving now for a week, I have had a vibration which correlates with engine rpm not speed. It had a small vibration around 2400 after the LS7 clutch install, but this is worse. Occurs between 2100 and 3000 and is more apparent when the car is cold and is usually worse under power.

The diff went south during a hard second gear grab. After the diff broke, nothing was clanking around, and it didn't make any noise while rolling to a stop. It does look like the pinion may have hit the passenger side exhaust and dented the little built on shield(?) I also used this time to install a poly spacer and window weld to raise the trans mount.(I do plan on replacing the mount, but wanted to see if this would actually help the shifting before I spent any money). It does help, but I wasn't sure if the vibes I am getting now aren't due to the increased noise and vibes that have been reported after the intial install of the trans mount spacer.

Does anyone think I may have damaged the input shaft or something? It is unlikely the motor is damaged. It actually idles smoother now. I did change the trans fluid and it was bright pink.

One other item to note, it does sound louder. The exhaust is not touching anything as it sits but it does sound like I have some increase resonation. The passenger side exhaust is only an inch or so away from the diff. This may cause some interference while driving??

Appreciate the help.
    Its an 04 V with 155k, mild cam, Pacesetter LT, HF Cats, LS7 Clutch, Muffler Delete, Tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

Re: Vibration after Exploding Diff

Youre positive is not an exhaust leak at the front connection? sounds dumb, but I had an exhaust leak that felt like vibration...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    Youre positive is not an exhaust leak at the front connection? sounds dumb, but I had an exhaust leak that felt like vibration...
    Fairly certain it is not. I use band clamps with my pacesetter headers. They are sealed pretty good at the collector. I wish I had a way to run though the gears and be able to see the drivetrain and exhaust moving. I'm not brave (or dumb) enough to put it on stands and climb under while someone else is in the car....

haha... good point. if you are thinking the parts might be contacting other parts.. apply dabs of grease to the particular areas and go for a drive.. then check for contact marks.

Here is the aftermath.

ForumRunner_20131111_160017.png

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Reindex your driveshaft. Since you were smart, you marked it before you took it out.

haha... i assumed he did that so I didnt mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Reindex your driveshaft. Since you were smart, you marked it before you took it out.
    haha... i assumed he did that so I didnt mention it.
    I did, however, I had no marks to go off of for the rear....

While driving at lunch today I tried some new things. The vibration (possibly better described as a shudder) is apparent in third while accelerating under little throttle from 2-3k rpm. Shift to fourth and it very apparent to the point it shakes the steering wheel in same rpm range. Press in clutch and it goes away as soon as rpm drops, regardless of speed. Going under tonight to check for any issues with driveshaft. Also wanted to note in 5th ot 6th above 60 or so has no vibration or shudder.

It seems odd that the car idles smooth and upper rpm has no issues even under WOT. Worst is when light to part throttle in 2nd to 4th between 2k and 3k rpm

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    I did, however, I had no marks to go off of for the rear....

While driving at lunch today I tried some new things. The vibration (possibly better described as a shudder) is apparent in third while accelerating under little throttle from 2-3k rpm. Shift to fourth and it very apparent to the point it shakes the steering wheel in same rpm range. Press in clutch and it goes away as soon as rpm drops, regardless of speed. Going under tonight to check for any issues with driveshaft. Also wanted to note in 5th ot 6th above 60 or so has no vibration or shudder.

It seems odd that the car idles smooth and upper rpm has no issues even under WOT. Worst is when light to part throttle in 2nd to 4th between 2k and 3k rpm
    I would still bet money on driveshaft.

And WTF happened to my AVATAR!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I would still bet money on driveshaft.

I will be checking it in the next couple hours. It is odd that it goes away at higher speeds. In Mexico, I took it to over 120 and was smooth as ever. I wouldn't think I bent the input shaft or something crazy like that. I will be checking my balancer too for any wobble. Could just be a coincidence.

And WTF happened to my AVATAR!!!!!
    I was actually thinking the same thing.

So I think I have more questions than answers at this point.

How much spacing is there between the diff and the CV? I have approx 1/4" - 3/8". If this is good then I guess I tore an axle seal because it is leaking.

There is no runout whatsoever on the entire driveshaft. There is about an 1/8"-3/16" runout on both axle bars. This is odd since there is no movement at both inner and outer stubs.

Last but not least, at close to 3k rpm in fourth the resonator starts to bounce (?). You can feel the vibration in the exhaust the most. It is not hitting anywhere on anything. Could this be as simple as a miss?

2005_CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Sound like the same problem I had when my carrier bearing went out on the driveshaft...or the isolator rubber around the bearing is bad. Voodoochikin04 can help with that if it's the problem.

I had weird vibrations too when the rubber isolator on the carrier was torn completely... But he says it looks fine.

I had weird vibrations too when the rubber isolator on the carrier was torn completely... But he says it looks fine.
    Correct. No tearing or movement. I did the window weld mod to it several months ago and it worked great.

Have you tried.... Car on jack stands...back wheels off and run through the gears?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.