Vibration after Exploding Diff - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Vibration after Exploding Diff in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by JFensty So I think I have more questions than answers at this point. How much spacing is ...
    JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    So I think I have more questions than answers at this point.

How much spacing is there between the diff and the CV? I have approx 1/4" - 3/8". If this is good then I guess I tore an axle seal because it is leaking.

There is no runout whatsoever on the entire driveshaft. There is about an 1/8"-3/16" runout on both axle bars. This is odd since there is no movement at both inner and outer stubs.

Last but not least, at close to 3k rpm in fourth the resonator starts to bounce (?). You can feel the vibration in the exhaust the most. It is not hitting anywhere on anything. Could this be as simple as a miss?
    That is what I did last night. Above is my findings.

Things I have confirmed:
    -It is it rpm related not speed.
    -My driveshaft shows no movement throughout.
    -I can feel the vibration through the exhaust and actually watch the resonator "bounce" up and down with the vibration. It is almost better described as a pulsing vibration.
    - The axles may have some movement in the cv's causing the bar to have some runout.

I'm starting to lean towards engine / exhaust related. Or at the very least trans forward. It may be purely a coincidence. I would think a clogged cat would get worse with higher rpm not a specific range. There is no loss in power.

Would a small dent in the exhaust cause some weird frequency resonance?? The exhaust does sound louder but its resonating more than before.

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

Re: Vibration after Exploding Diff

Maybe your issue has no correlation with the exploding diff...and is just coincidence. I can't recall.. Stock flywheel?? Also you say its rpm related. Meaning you can reproduce it in neutral in your driveway?

LS7 clutch and flywheel almost 50k miles ago, when cam, headers, and tune was done. Its not as bad in neutral, but its there. It mostly shows up under light load to part throttle. At WOT it is roughly equal to being in neutral. When it is at its worst (4th closer to 3k rpm) I can push in the clutch and as soon as rpm drops, the vibe goes away, even if speed remains the same.

I will be picking up a new axle seal and pulling both axles tonight to re-inspect them. Slowly I am ruling out the diff and all associated with it. This is only causing me more confusion. I may just replace my balancer for piece of mind even though there is no wobble there either.

Odd thought, my alternator bearing has been making a little bit of whine. Voltage is perfect. I wonder if it sitting for a few days while the diff was being shipped could have caused it to ??something?? making this oscillation travel through the exhaust. I do have UMI mounts so the added nvh from something like this is more likely.

MarkFJ40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTSV

Could it be a low grade miss? Spark plugs or coil?
    Does it do it under load like pulling a hill?
    My truck needed spark plugs and it was missing under load. I thought it was the transmission slipping.
    Never spit any codes either.

Interesting. The plugs and wires may be 20k miles old. I was out in the dark looking for any arcing of the wires. Not getting any kind of codes at all.

I guess next will be to clean my Maf and filter, and inspect plugs and wires as well....

jfensty... check your pm's

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    jfensty... check your pm's
    reply sent.

MarkFJ40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    Interesting. The plugs and wires may be 20k miles old. I was out in the dark looking for any arcing of the wires. Not getting any kind of codes at all.

I guess next will be to clean my Maf and filter, and inspect plugs and wires as well....
    Check the porcelain for cracks. I was troubleshooting a miss forever and it turned out one of my new plugs was cracked

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

ha, my driveshaft isn't indexed anymore. I had it apart when I did my cradle bushings, and unfortunately it wore clean off of the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    ha, my driveshaft isn't indexed anymore. I had it apart when I did my cradle bushings, and unfortunately it wore clean off of the connections.
    Did you notice any difference?

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I have a rubber coupler I'd sell if you need it. Just PM me.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Damn... too many launches at the drags chasing Vettes at the County Corvette charity events?

I was going to do it last time, bit this just reinforces to be a spectator again.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Damn... too many launches at the drags chasing Vettes at the County Corvette charity events?

I was going to do it last time, bit this just reinforces to be a spectator again.
    Nope, once I get this vibration deal figured out, I will be in the next charity event shooting for mid 12's.

Odd update... I began this morning pulling one piece at a time and then running it up in forth to 2800 or so to see of the vibe had diminished at all. After pulling both axles the vibe was still there. The axles both have some play in the hub end. And the hubs have a tiny bit of bearing noise. Replacements on the way, but I do not believe they are causing my issues.

Dropped the exhaust and started it up, big smile, and run it up to about 45 or so and no vibes. Now I am going to run this test again, mostly due to the fact that the car shakes from the sound of open header and it may be disguising the original vibe.

My exhaust is muffler delete and high flow cats. Could the resonator be coming apart and causing some resonation or oscillation that is being transmitted as a vibration? I guess that would make sense that it is usually only between 2-3k rpm and under load.

Next is to drop the driveshaft and diff, then reinstall exhaust and check again to rule out exhaust totally.

Thoughts?

Yea...one thought.... Thats a lot of work!!!!! Lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.