Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was hesitant about these tires when they were first released. IMO Dunlop has not designed a great performance tire ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

I was hesitant about these tires when they were first released. IMO Dunlop has not designed a great performance tire for a few years. They looked good, but that means nothing on the road.

But 2 things.

The Tire Rack has performance data that shows very favorably for the Dunlop. It tested better than the Bridgestone Potenza S03 and Pirelli P Zero Rosso. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...=SP+Sport+Maxx

Also, the latest Car and Driver has a road test of the new Audi A4. They loved the handling and commented about the tires which were the SP Sport Maxx. An Audi engineer explained why he likes the tire so much and how it helps the cars handling.

This tire may be better than the F1 GS-D3 and at a competitive price of $212 with an XL rating, this may be our best non-OEM max performance tire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Harley Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

How would you expect the life on this tire to be? The same as the F-1's or better?

Don't know. These tires just came out and I don't think anyone has had them that long. Here are the stats.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...=SP+Sport+Maxx

RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wish they had included the PS2 in that comparison. Still, seems like a good value.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

This just in!!!! The GY F1 GSD3 are on special for $178 at TireRack!!! Absolutely no excuse not to own a set of these. Or an additional set in my case.

Well, that all depends. If the SP Sport Maxx is a better performer, I'll pay the extra $33 a tire for the Dunlops.

I had planned on getting "19s with PS2s and putting race rubber on the stock wheels. But I cannot find wheels that look good that are not $1200 a wheel. Thanks HRE. Add to the problem that forged rims just do not look as good in general and that you need to wait weeks for them.

So...I think I may try these Dunlops on the stock wheels and get a set of Mille Miglias for the Hoosier slicks.

BTW, I was cut off in the Logan Airport parking garage by a Redline V with said Mille Miglias.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Those tires are getting great reviews... and i trust TireRack's testing...

well, I was about to plunk down the dough for the Dunlops when I got my latest TireRack newsletter and they advertised an $80 mail-in rebate for the SP Sport Maxx. So it comesout to about $192 a tire. I'll let you know how they are.

Harley Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I just took a quick look on TireRack but could not see if the Dunlops are run flats or not.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    well, I was about to plunk down the dough for the Dunlops when I got my latest TireRack newsletter and they advertised an $80 mail-in rebate for the SP Sport Maxx. So it comesout to about $192 a tire. I'll let you know how they are.
    Yes, Big, please do! Mongo so confused, which tire to buy???

I went out today and put over 900 miles on the V. I can comfortably say the new diff is broken in. I also have a pretty decent read on the Dunlops.

Simply put, our F1 Supercars were a step below a race tire. Being a runflat and having a soft compound, there are maybe 2 street tires that can match its dry handling capabilities.

Let me say, the Dunlops do not have the extreme dry handling capabilities of the Supercars. It is an entirely different animal. Which is a very good thing. This tire does indeed seem to have very good dry handling traits. Turn-in is fairly quick, down just a little from the Supercars.

It's handling may be very close to the Supercars but it goes about things differently. You get more pitch with the Dunlops. Part of it is that the Supercars were very used and having such hard sidewalls, had a very direct turn-in. The Dunlops are confidence inspiring but allow the V to be more tossable. Frankly, some people may not like that. I have a pretty firm grip of what the V can do and it actually feels more fun to fling around now. It's a lot like a comparison with a stock V and a stock SHO. The SHO will get outgunned, but the engine is such a joy to rev, you just want to all day long. Again, some people just want a direct, no nonsense feel. Just get the job done with little drama. The Dunlops are not like that.

While I still need to get a better idea of extreme dry grip, I did get a very firm idea of the Dunlops' wet traction which, is to say, was exceptional. The compound used works very well on wet roads and breezes through puddles. In spots where the Supercars would have let go quickly leading to aggravating wheelhop, the Dunlops just stayed planted. Quick blasts through 1st gear with the TC on created no drama whatsoever and with the TC turned off, the Dunlops stayed in control through 1st until the very upper reaches of the RPM band. The TireRack's comparison tests had the Dunlop dominating in the wet tests.

Now the best part was the ride. For 900 miles, I never even thought of the V flinging itself through ruts or crashing over bumps. Again, it is very unfair to compare a bald runflat to a new non runflat, but I confidently feel this tire will ride much better than a stock Supercar. The Dunlop really is a joy on just about any surface it rides on. I would've been much more fatigued driving for 17 hours if I had to keep correcting the steering and bracing for every bump. I really enjoyed the drive.

Bottom line, at first I was thinking I wasn't going to like the tires because I was looking for absolute max dry performance. The Supercar is superior in that aspect. But again, I really like the Dunlops feel when hitting the twisties(Rte. 2 at the NY-MA border at 1AM is a VERY good test). Not everybody will like it. More lively but not uncontrollable. But for whatever I lost in dry traction, I gained in large doses in the wet, in ride and in comfort. I didn't think that would matter to me much, but it did.

If anyone in the Northeast has a V with Toyo T1-S or F1 GS-D3s or any tire that they really like, we should meet up and compare. But I really do like the Dunlops.

BTW, the tires were set at the installer at 35psi cold. I drove all day long on the Interstate, Parkways and smaller country roads. But the V was almost constantly moving. The front drivers' side tire hit 42 off and on but never went higher.

I would guess a 33psi cold should work fine except in cases of extreme heat. I'll try to drop to 30 cold and see if that is detrimental to handling or not.

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Jim:

Didn't you also buy those Hoosiers (I know I bought 4 after seeing your original post). If so, when are you finally going to track the car?

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Jim,

Good write-up. Thanks! I also want a tire that performs well overall in more areas (dry, wet, ride, noise). I'll sacrifice some dry pavement performance to get some of the other three.
    Speaking of noise: did you get a good reduction there?

dannystang is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Well now that I am at 4k miles I better start looking.

Whats the ABSOLUTE best dry performance tire? Non-runflat?

The GSD3?

I am in Miami, just hot here. Always.

The run-flats don't impress me a whole lot..but then again I never had anything else on the V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.