Who runs Continental DWS tires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Who runs Continental DWS tires? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My strategy when buying tires is to pick tires with good wet performance. (I figure if I ever really need ...
    bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

Who runs Continental DWS tires?

My strategy when buying tires is to pick tires with good wet performance. (I figure if I ever really need to stop in a short distance in my daily driving, it will be on wet streets.) I bought these based on good reviews and they seem to live up to their reputation, but they really feel weird compared to the Goodyear Eagles that I took off. It seems that they have very flexible sidewalls and they let the rear of the car move around a lot in cornering.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: Who runs Continental DWS tires?

Try a little more air pressure in the rears. I ran the DW summers on my Subaru, and they definitely had softer sidewalls compared to my previous F1 GSD3's.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

The DWSs are pretty well known for having soft sidewalls. More air pressure may help, as fweasel said.

Keep in mind that new tires (with 10/32" or more of tread) will exhibit way more tread squirm than old tires (with 2 or 3/32" of tread), which may make them feel funny initially.
    jeph054 likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Lou72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I put a set of DWSs on my car when the cheap Toyos from the previous owner wore out. I didn't really have a noticeable difference in sidewall softness. However, I've also driven the car with some stock Goodyears on it and those made the car feel like it was on rails. I've also considered that the Goodyear's being run-flats probably had a big thing to do with it though. Sidewall softness aside, these are great tires for wet weather. They grip so much better than the Toyos and Goodyears in slippery conditions.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Too bad. The Hankook evo is a much better dry performer and is unparalleled in the rain.

----------

BTW, I've been harping on it for years. You can't just look at tire reviews and automatically apply them to the V1. The V1 has a lot of weight and a fairly narrow tire. With the feel and stability of the sooper stiff runflats, keeping that means having a tire with firmer, more controllable sidewalls.

When replacing tires, you need to find ones that have great reviews with regards to steering feel and turn-in...

I replaced my Goodyears in '05 with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires. Same problem, too soft sidewalls...

bolide is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2006 V

Not too many tires out there that will give you the turn in feel of a run-flat. Having said that, there are a lot of tires that will approach it without any of the drawbacks of a run-flat. I have the DWS as my summer tires and the difference between them and the original Goodyears is quite pronounced. Would I buy them again? Probably not. Unfortunately because the car gets driven little, and I put my Toyo snows on for the winter, it means that I'll probably have them for the next 10 years.

Nothing will have the lightning quick turn-in of the runflats.

But, that was also a detriment. I found it difficult to modulate steering and throttle on very fast transitions, such as at an autocross.

When I finally got to get the PS2s on the V, it was a revelation! Still quick turn-in but I knew exactly what the car was doing at all times. I'd take that any day over the runflats...

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Running the ExtremeContact DW on my caddy but I'm running 19's and 285's in the rear so not a direct comparision to the stock size. With the Shorter side wall and the wider patch in the rear my car seemed to handle okay with these tires. The reasons I went with them was cost and they came in a 285/35/19 (at the time).

Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires yet?

Many with V2s have...

Do they like them?

Very much so...

Good to know, that will probably be my next tire. They would have been on the car now if the 285/35/19 was out when I needed them.

spin2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver V1...mods to come
    To answer the question regarding the Super Sports, I actually had a set mounted yesterday....I. LOVE. THEM.

In the case of full disclosure I went from a stock size Pilot Sport A/S to new wheels with 265/35/19s all the way around so I know that alone changed the feel a bit)

I read all of the reviews online as well as people's experiences on the forums with both the Hankooks and Continentals as I thought I wanted to go with a cheaper alternative to the Michelin's I had on the car already (Pilot Sport A/S). I ended up deciding to go with a stiffer sidewall and am glad I did. The A/S were awesome and were pretty much superglue in the wet. I consider them a more 'comfortable' all season tire that can step up when it needs to...from the reviews I'd expect them to be closer to the Hankooks or the DWS rather than A DS or other summer tire. They served me well for 30k-ish.

I know some of you will balk at the price of the Michelins but they come with a mileage warranty...it's pretty sweet. The Super Sports guarantee 30k, if you don't get there they pro rate a new set. Basically you can but a set of the HKs or Contis and wear them out in 15k or less or go buy the better tire and kill them in 15k and get another set for the same or less $$ than the others. In my eyes after the first set im already ahead of the game which is exactly what happened with the A/S I just took off.

Next year I look forward to doing my first HPDEs with the car so I'm hoping I made a good decision rather than the HK or Contis (although i don't think you can go wrong either way).

The PSS is a bit cheaper than the PS2...

That's the reason I was looking at them. That and the Tread wear spec is higher. I am tough on the Rears...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.