Last Word on DIC Retention with Aftermarket Head Unit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Last Word on DIC Retention with Aftermarket Head Unit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have searched and read all I can find about retaining the DIC on a CTS-V aftermarket head unit conversion, ...
    JGeezer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 V (B&M, muffler delete), 2003 Corvette

Last Word on DIC Retention with Aftermarket Head Unit

I have searched and read all I can find about retaining the DIC on a CTS-V aftermarket head unit conversion, and just wanted to make 100% sure I didn't miss something. From what I read, you can not do a degrade to a base DIC unit/CD:

BaseRadio.JPG

to do this kind of conversion:

repairedface.jpg

without losing (at least) the steering wheel controls with a Gen I V. Somebody please tell me I missed the magic way to make this work!
    mackey likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

re: Last Word on DIC Retention with Aftermarket Head Unit

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer View Post
    I have searched and read all I can find about retaining the DIC on a CTS-V aftermarket head unit conversion, and just wanted to make 100% sure I didn't miss something. From what I read, you can not do a degrade to a base DIC unit/CD:

to do this kind of conversion:

without losing (at least) the steering wheel controls with a Gen I V. Somebody please tell me I missed the magic way to make this work!
    The OEM radio interfaces with the steering wheel control.

The OEM radio has to be configured via TECHII to read the steering wheel control(s) then send out the right code on the OBD to the computer.

My modification is the only way (of two ways I know of) to keep the OEM DIC/ steering wheel controls.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ification.html

You are doing amazing things - I'm an old EE, but that's more that I want to get into!

I was wondering, if I found a non-nav base unit, if it could be used in the Gen I V to at support the DIC display and steering wheel button functions. I found some reference - IIRC - that says you can use one for DIC functions, but you will lose steering wheel buttons.

So the specific question: can my local friendly dealer with his TECHII be bribed to reprogram a base unit so it will work in a V?

You are doing amazing things - I'm an old EE, but that's more that I want to get into!

I was wondering, if I found a non-nav base unit, if it could be used in the Gen I V to at support the DIC display and steering wheel button functions. I found some reference - IIRC - that says you can use one for DIC functions, but you will lose steering wheel buttons.

So the specific question: can my local friendly dealer with his TECHII be bribed to reprogram a base unit so it will work in a V?
    Short answer is no.

The problem is you need feedback from the radio (switch closure) to verify some functions, which the nav radio does.

OT, you are only 5 years older then me.

Thanks for the comps!

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Modding my base CTS radio this weekend. What do you mean lose steering wheel controls? I was under the impression that once the base radio has been programmed by the dealer to work in the CTS-V, all radio and DIC functions work, including steering wheel controls. I plan on sung a kenwood adapter so that the OEM steering wheel controls will operate the new head unit. I'll be bummed if the other steering buttons stop working

I was just going by what I read in here someplace, but maybe they just meant you need a factory radio for the buttons. You're doing exactly want I want to do, use a base radio to retain DIC and put in a double DIN unit.

I'm waiting for my eBay base radio to arrive. Let's keep in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Modding my base CTS radio this weekend. What do you mean lose steering wheel controls? I was under the impression that once the base radio has been programmed by the dealer to work in the CTS-V, all radio and DIC functions work, including steering wheel controls. I plan on sung a kenwood adapter so that the OEM steering wheel controls will operate the new head unit. I'll be bummed if the other steering buttons stop working
    A CTS base radio uses the steering wheel controls for volume and such.

TECHII reprograms the radio to use these steering wheel controls for driving functions for a CTS-V.

You don't get both, you get either.

You will be able to interface the steering wheel controls to your Kenwood, but you won't be able to change driving functions.

I suppose you could install a "Y" switch to go from one to the other, anything can be done (just throw money at it).

The showstopper is in the CTS-V a response (switch closure) from the radio is required to verify a driving function change.

The DIC doesn't accommodate this.

By "switch closure", do you mean the "OK" button prompt? I thought that was just a warning, but it's actually required to complete the mode change?

By "switch closure", do you mean the "OK" button prompt? I thought that was just a warning, but it's actually required to complete the mode change?
    Yep, good luck.

My head is starting to hurt for some reason.

You seem very well informed, HM! Do you have any other info on the nature of that signal? Something encoded and encrypted and and buried deep in a computer bus, or a signal level somewhere?

Re: Last Word on DIC Retention with Aftermarket Head Unit

My head is starting to hurt for some reason.

You seem very well informed, HM! Do you have any other info on the nature of that signal? Something encoded and encrypted and and buried deep in a computer bus, or a signal level somewhere?
    Delco/Delphi and GM will not give any information, I had to "reverse engineer" everything I have done (I did get some info from a place that was very useful).

The problem is the radio generates class II info that is proprietary (BFD) but in any case that is info the PCM then sends out to various other modules.

This configures the switches on the right side.

My "back burner" project is to build a radio "spoofer" with the required switch(s) so this problem with pulling the OEM radio becomes moot.

Now you get an idea as to why I did my Ultimate Radio Mod.

Crap, I thought I had my head wrapped around this. Heavy, can you help me with some clarification? The term steering wheel controls... does this apply to both volume/preset buttons on the right as well as the gauge cluster toggle and TC buttons on the left? And am I understanding this that slapping a base model CTS radio in a CTS-V will yield volume/preset control from the steering wheel, but no cluster info screen toggles and TC? Then, after having the dealer use a TECHII, the steering wheel will again toggle the cluster info screen and TC, but the volume/preset buttons will go dead. Am I close?

I could live with no steering wheel based audio control (right side buttons) if I can retain full cluster info screen and TC control (left side buttons) plus a killer sound system and proper NAV interface.

BINGO.

You get one or the other, not both.

TECHII configures the radio for a CTS or V.

CTS has the steering wheel volume control, V does not but different functions which need to be sent to other modules (ah so!) while volume control does not.

You still need the base radio to verify some functions that are fault and drive function related (switch closure).

----------

Also, there was no "Non Nav base unit " (that I know of) for the V. It may have been an option in a base CTS, but a necessity in the V for obvious reasons.

OT, Now you know why GM deserved to go BK.

Does the fact that 04-05 V's didn't have steering wheels audio controls and 06-07 did factor into this?

After the TECHII programming, will the kenwood adapter kit not be able to "see" the steering wheel audio controls?

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Does the fact that 04-05 V's didn't have steering wheels audio controls and 06-07 did factor into this?

After the TECHII programming, will the kenwood adapter kit not be able to "see" the steering wheel audio controls?
    I wouldn't think so as the programming only configures how the switches are interpreted, not how they are wired.

As for the 06-07 steering wheel controls, I didn't know that, I thought there was no difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.