Rear wheel facing the wrong way
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear wheel facing the wrong way in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Long story short - while leaving work a kid ran into the street and I swerved to avoid him. Hit ...
    darien99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Rear wheel facing the wrong way

Long story short - while leaving work a kid ran into the street and I swerved to avoid him. Hit the curb with my RR wheel after doing a 180, and here's the result. I couldn't have been doing more than 20 at the time so I'm sort of surprised there's so much damage - but I suppose the vehicle wasn't meant to be driven into curbs.

So I guess my question for those of you more familiar with the vehicle is - what am I looking at? I'm thinking (hoping?): replace the control arm and hope for the best? Anything else I'm missing? I should add that I'm new to RWD so the components aren't intimately familiar to me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Rear wheel facing the wrong way

You bent your toe rod into an "S" curve. I can see it clearly in the last picture. Look straight up from the caliper. You'll need to replace it and get an alignment. Here's a picture of what the toe rod should look like:

Here's a partial picture of the OEM toe rod on the left side of my car (right side of the picture):

And here's one of my BMR toe rods (the red rod to the left of the hub):

Right on, so it's a dealer only part, correct? Replace it and cross my fingers, you think? I was worried about the upper and lower control arms - I know aluminum doesn't generally bend but those wishbones are a funny shape and I couldn't tell if mine was bent.

Anyone have a part no. for the toe rod?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Call Luke at Lindsay. Might have to wait till Monday, though.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

It's hard to tell what might be bent based on blurry cellphone pics. (What happened to the days when people took pictures with digital cameras so that pictures were actually clear?) I would be concerned the trailing arm is bent, as it clearly took some impact from the wheel (4th pic). And I'm also curious if the "ears" on the stamped steel lower control arm are bent as a result of the knuckle being twisted that much - I don't know if there's enough flex in the bushings to allow the knuckle to have that much toe in without something bending. The wheel bearing/hub assembly may be toast from the load that was applied to it.

Some unsolicited advice... I'm not trying to be a dick here, but if you lost control of the car due to a single evasive maneuver at not even 20mph, you need to work on your driving. Get to an auto-cross event and figure out how the car handles at the limit. Presumably, you didn't hit the kid, which is good, but the fact that you lost control of the vehicle in such an innocuous situation is bad. In a different situation, you may have missed the kid, only to spin into an oncoming car, or to spin and hit the other kid who crossed the street ahead of his friend.
    Pillow, Dan_Gurney and FuzzyLogic like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

I have the rear upper control arm and trailing arm if needed
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

AAIIIC, good call on the wheel bearings. They could easily be trashed. If I were the guy, I'd disengage the parking brake, spin the rotor by hand, and see if I could work the hub at angles. Listen for abnormal sounds, excessive play, and binding.

AAIIIC - I appreciate the mechanical advice. To clarify: I hit the curb at around 20. I was probably doing about 35 at the time of the maneuver. I do think that you're right that the best outcome was avoiding the child, but I can't agree with your autocross suggestion. It was a panic situation where a kid darted across the street, I wasn't trying to drive my car at the limit. I understand the concept of muscle memory from riding streetbikes, but this was a case where given the distance and time I had to act I feel I did the best thing (even if it does mean I have to shell out some money for repairs).

I did use a digital camera (Canon SX210 is) but I was in a hurry to get pictures before it got dark and didn't get everything focused, I was supposed to meet someone for a date tonight. I can get clearer pictures if needed. What you see on the trailing arm is where the tire rubbed the paint off as I drove a short distance.

I would check eBay for toe rods, if you can do without your car for several weeks, or consider this an opportunity to pick up a set of Creative Steel or BMR toe rods. Presently, a quick check of eBay indicates that there are no used toe rods available. But they pop up now and again.

jerkyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Some unsolicited advice... I'm not trying to be a dick here, but if you lost control of the car due to a single evasive maneuver at not even 20mph, you need to work on your driving. Get to an auto-cross event and figure out how the car handles at the limit. Presumably, you didn't hit the kid, which is good, but the fact that you lost control of the vehicle in such an innocuous situation is bad. In a different situation, you may have missed the kid, only to spin into an oncoming car, or to spin and hit the other kid who crossed the street ahead of his friend.
    Ouch!!!!!

eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Mini, '96 Impala SS, '07 MSRT8...

Darien, I'm currently parting out an '05 and have the complete rear suspension and subframe available. PM me exactly what you need as my prices are more than fair.

Damn eagle, I wish I had seen this before right now. I just bought the toe rod from the local dealer to the tune of $150. Definitely get it used if you can if you're ever in my situation. I'm going to try to replace it after work tomorrow night and hope that solves my issue, but if not I'll be in contact.

eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Mini, '96 Impala SS, '07 MSRT8...

Not a problem. It if turns out "it wasn't what you needed" and you take the part back I would only have asked like $35 shipped. I just got access to the forum tonight after 6 weeks of being locked out, otherwise I probably would have seen it sooner.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Bring it back at that price...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Junior - get in touch with me and I'll see if i can take it back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.