Ist Gear Pops
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cadillac Cust Svc
  • 1 Post By trhs75
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Ist Gear Pops in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; For the last 3-4 months when I stop at a light and the light turns green, when I let out ...
    jeph054 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ist Gear Pops

For the last 3-4 months when I stop at a light and the light turns green, when I let out the clutch the trans pops out of gear with a loud clunck. This happens about once a week and after this had happened several times I make sure I put it ALL the way into gear. I have an 07 and it has about 55K miles on it. This is my daily driver. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Ist Gear Pops

When my 04 did this i ended up getting a new trans under warranty. Twice!

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

I bent the shifter forks on my Cobra once...Missed a power shift Kept popping out of gear after that.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

bent shifter fork I think :/

ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

'04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jeph054 View Post
    For the last 3-4 months when I stop at a light and the light turns green, when I let out the clutch the trans pops out of gear with a loud clunck. This happens about once a week and after this had happened several times I make sure I put it ALL the way into gear. I have an 07 and it has about 55K miles on it. This is my daily driver. Any thoughts?
    Hello jeph054,

I am sorry you are experiencing a loud clunking noise when letting out the clutch on your 2007 CTS-V. If you are willing to bring your vehicle into a dealer for a diagnosis, please let us know so we can assist. We can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    jeph054 likes this.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    That has happened to me a few times when I don't get the shifter all the way into gear. Sometimes I have to do the 3/4 dance before I put it into 1 or R. I've never had a manual trans that I didn't have to do that to.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

depending on how the tranny and synchros are sitting when you go to it into a gear from a start, sometimes you have to ease the clutch out to get it all the way into gear. That works better and is much easier on the gears than just trying to shove/force the shifter farter forward. I notice with the V 1st and Reverse both have two 'detents' you have to feel for when putting into gear to ensure it is all the way in.

UteCTS V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS V

I have had this happen as well. 04 with about 100k on it. daily driver. i am not sure how long the tranny is covered under warranty but i assume i am out of it

trhs75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I'm glad to see this happened to other people, too! This has happened to me occasionally before AND after my tranny was replaced under warranty (due to 6th gear whine/moan at speed). I have driven a stick shift for over forty years, and this is the only car with which I have experienced this! I hate to admit it, but I have decided I don't quite have it all the way into first gear sometimes despite my years of experience! At first, I was as sure as jeph054 that I had it in gear. I'll still blame the car instead of myself (ha!). I think the design allows first gear to feel "engaged" when it really isn't. Sometimes it jumps out of gear quietly, and sometimes it's a very loud bang, embarrassing me quite a bit.
    jeph054 likes this.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I avoid 1st gear problems by starting in 2nd.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    I avoid 1st gear problems by starting in 2nd.

stever06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

My 04 does the same once in a while scares the crap out of me. since I changed my MM and trans mount with revshift blues it shifts much easier into 1st.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.