Car wouldn't start this morning... any suggestions?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Car wouldn't start this morning... any suggestions? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I bought a 2006 CTS V three weeks ago, and everything seemed to be in good working order. 69,000 miles, ...
    V-twin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V w/ Katech headers, Magnaflow, short shifter

Car wouldn't start this morning... any suggestions?

I bought a 2006 CTS V three weeks ago, and everything seemed to be in good working order. 69,000 miles, stock with the exception of the CAGS delete, seems well kept. I was leaving for work this morning, and the car wouldn't start. I made sure the clutch pedal was pressed to the floor, even turned off all the accessories, but it would not crank over. The starter was not spinning or even clicking. All the lights came on, and radio, etc. worked. I took my wife's car to work, and went out to look at it this evening, and it started right up on the first try. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V
    Yes. Good chance it's the starter. They are prone to failure. Mine was having this intermittent starting problem for a few months before I finally changed the starter. A little research will show you the troubles you will face. Good luck.

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Car wouldn't start this morning... any suggestions?

Check the electrical connection at the front of the starter. There's a good possibility that its corroded and/or melted.
    lollygagger8 likes this.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

^^^ What he said. Lots of folks have that happen, myself included. The wiring harness had to be replaced.
    dedeaux89 likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to check after work today.
    I read through several of the "what to watch for" and common problem threads. Guess I ignored the starter. I'm making a list of mods/maintenance that I want to do soon. I've had PISNUOFF modify my shifter, and I plan to buy motor mounts, tranny mount, and diff bushings to replace at the same time. I was thinking about doing something with exhaust at the same time, too, since I'd already have it off. I'll post in the performance forum soon with a list to get some opinions and suggestions.

trhs75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I vote for the starter. My car had the same symptoms, but only occasionally. Starter was bad and had to be replaced. I hope Pisnuoff is right and it's just the connection and not the starter.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    I had a brand new 99 s-10 that had a weird intermittent starting problem it seemed to happen only when I had to be somewhere...

Anyway it was a short somewhere in the line ... Hopefully it's something like that like others have said

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by V-twin View Post
    I bought a 2006 CTS V three weeks ago, and everything seemed to be in good working order. 69,000 miles, stock with the exception of the CAGS delete, seems well kept. I was leaving for work this morning, and the car wouldn't start. I made sure the clutch pedal was pressed to the floor, even turned off all the accessories, but it would not crank over. The starter was not spinning or even clicking. All the lights came on, and radio, etc. worked. I took my wife's car to work, and went out to look at it this evening, and it started right up on the first try. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Hello V-twin,

I am sorry to hear that your CTS-V wouldn’t start this morning. It seems as though you have gotten some great advice from the community. Please keep us updated when you get a chance to look at it. Thank you very much for your time, I will be looking for your updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Before you go spending your money on a starter

I see that the starter isn't clicking or spinning or anything, which tells me that the issue may very well NOT be the starter at all. It could be an electrical connection or something to that effect (heat from your exhaust manifolds tends to mangle these connections and often be the cause of a starter failing too) ... BUT ... I would have a look at your clutch position sensor first!! I went through similar issues as you and someone from here suggested the CPS. Turned out that was my problem. It's a giant PITA to access, so get ready to practice your contortionist skills. But a paper clip could solve your problem (until you get a new sensor). I "jumped" the 2 outside (?) terminals on the female end of the connector with a paper clip to see if the sensor was shot, and that completely solved my problem. Just be careful when doing this, as your car WILL start IN GEAR with the clutch ENGAGED. :S

The clutch position sensor is located on the "plunger" that depresses when you step on your clutch pedal. The plastic housing of the sensor snaps right on to the metal rod of this "plunger". Obviously, it's located just above your clutch pedal.

My suggestion would be don't even remove the sensor yet. Just disconnect it, then jump the terminals as described above. That'll save you the headaches of getting the sensor un/installed unnecessarily if the paper clip doesn't change anything.

Hope this helpS!

Good advice WesH, thanks. Did you end up replacing yours, or do you still have the paperclip bandaid in place? Any tips or tricks for replacing it?

The car hasn't failed to start again since the first time Monday morning, so hopefully I'll be able to put this off until I do the motor mounts/tranny mount in a week or two.

I finally got a chance to crawl under the car tonight, and the starter wiring is a little crispy, but doesn't look melted yet. I'll try to attach some photos from my phone.

----------

Attachment 147306

I'll try this again...

ForumRunner_20130925_203137.png

Given that it's now starting fine, is sounding more and more like the issues I was having before replacing the CPS. I'm about ready to guarantee you that this is your problem.

I replaced mine eventually. $30 from O'Reilly, iirc. Really not much to suggest for install. It's just a ton of dicking around in very tight spaces where you wish you could have both hands, but can't. I think I may have a thread here or on LS1 forums where advice was given to me...

gruvent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Check engine codes, CPS will show in the computer sometimes without a check engine light.

Quote Originally Posted by gruvent View Post
    Check engine codes, CPS will show in the computer sometimes without a check engine light.
    I didn't get a CEL when my CPS was shot...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.