Drive shaft rattles on exhaust pipe in heavy rain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Drive shaft rattles on exhaust pipe in heavy rain in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just replaced the dual mass flywheel and clutch with an LS7 set-up from Mike Yeager. The problem was first ...
    Charlie Costello is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Red CTS-V and a Silver 2005 CTS-V

Drive shaft rattles on exhaust pipe in heavy rain

I just replaced the dual mass flywheel and clutch with an LS7 set-up from Mike Yeager.
    The problem was first noticed two years ago in extremely heavy rain in Virginia. I thought it was water from the tires rattling against the bottom of the car.
    I was in Nashville this past week and the rain was very heavy. It is now apparent that the drive shaft was oscillating and rattling on the exhaust pipe. I know these carrier bearing are know to wear badly. There is 3/4" clearance between the shaft and exhaust.
    Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    PS: I just purchased the trans mount modification bushing from Revshift this morning. I wonder if it will help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Drive shaft rattles on exhaust pipe in heavy rain

I searched the performance section after the above post. The gentleman had the same exhaust and the same problem. I will try that fix next week. Please don't kick me for not finding it first. I have already done that. I will let everyone know how it works. Thanks for all the viewings.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Costello View Post
    I searched the performance section after the above post. The gentleman had the same exhaust and the same problem. I will try that fix next week. Please don't kick me for not finding it first. I have already done that. I will let everyone know how it works. Thanks for all the viewings.
    Are you referring to my post on rattle in rain/over bumps and the fix of urethaning around the carrier bearing? If so, my fix has been great. I can go through huge puddles now and now banging on the exhaust. Its a weird phenomena and I'm not sure if it is clearance to the Corsa exhaust and the exhaust bending when cooled on the bottom or what but it never failed for me, heavy rain and or big puddles made for incredible banging of the exhaust on the driveshaft. I think the sagging carrier bearing dropped the shaft just enough to enable contact with the pipes when they were suddenly cooled on one side and contracted on the bottom causing it to bow upwards.

I'm sure my squished tranny mount also contributed as well. I have not replaced or gotten an instert for that, yet.

-PJ

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

A sagging transmission mount can be the culprit for a driveshaft wobble as well. It sags, causing the carrier bearing to look like it has collapsed on the bottom. At that point, the carrier bearing is essentially acting as an accessory trans mount through the driveshaft. This puts an unnecessarily large amount of perpendicular strain on the driveshaft, which causes the driveshaft's axis of rotation to no longer be symmetric. This causes increasing angular force as the shaft's speed increases. With enough speed, the shaft slaps around inside the carrier bearing. If your exhaust is close enough to the driveshaft (3/4" is close enough), the shaft will slap it.

I had a similar problem last year. I had a bad vibration at and above 70mph regardless of gear. Got under the car and saw that the driveshaft was pushing down pretty hard on the bottom of the carrier bearing. Took the shaft to a driveshaft shop in Springfield, MO where the carrier bearing and shaft balance checked out. I then put in Revshift MM's and (more importantly) the trans mount insert. Since putting those in, the vibration is completely resolved. I'm of the opinion that this is why our carrier bearings wear out prematurely: sagging trans mounts. I know if I had left mine much longer the bearing would have been toast. But since shoring up the trans mount, the carrier bearing has been perfectly fine.

Can't say for sure why rain would exacerbate yours if this is indeed what is going on.

**Technically, it won't move inside the bearing itself, just inside the housing.

PJ Gross, yes your thread is where I got the info from. I will also get a tube of the windshield butyl for the carrier fix as well.
    I hope my Revshift trans mount insert is received today. I ran through heavy rain this week in Chicago and Mich, and no rattling occurred. I believe the rattle occurs more when the rain collects in the truck ruts in the lanes, therefor allowing much greater puddles to deal with. The concrete roads this week were siped, which I believed help the rain shed away. I believe the rain driven to the undercarriage by the front tires gets the greater than average water / rain around the shaft, thus causing the rotation to run out of orbit. We will see soon. Thanks for the replies.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

My banging could happen on the highway all the way down to city streets. It could start in as slow as a 25mph puddle and continue to bang down to about 10 mph. It all did go away securing the carrier bearing. Good luck on this one!
    -PJ

Thank you sir. My revshift bushing did not show up this weekend. I will post after the installation, when I get it. I still have to get the tube od butyl from a windshield shop this week.

azneau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Not sure if this is similar. I just picked up an 06 , it has been lowered and has a catback exhaust, and when going into 1st and putting around in it i get a wierd rattle/grind noise. The vehicle has only 40k miles so not sure what it could be.I did get a 2 year 24000 mile warranty on it so if I can pinpoint it I might take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.