Next Vehicle Purchase
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Next Vehicle Purchase in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have been looking into buying a vehicle to replace my 2009 Infiniti G37s. As my children get older the ...
    That_One_Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Next Vehicle Purchase

I have been looking into buying a vehicle to replace my 2009 Infiniti G37s. As my children get older the need for a 4 door vehicle becomes more apparent. My need is at least a V8, 4 doors, stick shift, at least 400hp and rear wheel drive. I have narrowed it down to 4 (more like 3) choices. The 1st choice (which I cannot find within 600 miles of my area) is a Pontiac g8 gxp. Not only are they very uncommon but the ones I can find are high 30's. For high 30's I can get my dream car (2009 Cadillac CTS-V). So that is the one I'm throwing out. Next vehicle (and more realistic option is a 2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V. I would like an american vehicle so the CTS-V gets brownie points. The next 2 vehicles I am looking at is a 2008 BMW M3. I have found a few in the high 20's. V8, Rear wheel drive, 400hp, stick shift and very nimble. Would be an awesome car to have plus I love the looks. I've never owned German so I would be in uncharted territory. Something else that is a turnoff is the cost of Maintenance and ownership of a BMW M3... but I guess you gotta pay to play ::unless you buy American :: . The last car I was looking for that comes in a price low to mid 20's . It is the 2006 BMW M5.... With that price tag and a high revving V10 that produces 507hp how could this not be one of my choices. Again... Maint and cost of ownership is the worst on this car than any other car. The 2004-2005 Cts-v has pushed its way to the top of my choices. The ls6 has been around for a while and has been tried and proven to be a great engine. I am not against the LS2 if one falls my way.

The story...
    I had purchased a 2009 GMC Sierra Denali truck a few years ago. I loved this vehicle but the commute to work was killing me because of the gas prices. So I "had" to trade it in. I went to a carmax that was local to me (yea, carmax, never again) and I saw a red 2010 Camaro ss. Carmax murdered me on my trade in and gave me practically nothing for my Denali truck. Well... to make a long horrable story short I was financed for 40,000 dollars and with the negative equity everything came to 42,000. So what did I do???? I settled... I settled for a 2009 Infiniti G37s. There was a Pontiac GTO on the lot but I hated the color. I'll never buy on impulse again.

So... What do you guys think? I know I am on a CTS-V board and I'll take that into consideration lol. Only bad thing I have read about is the rear ends on the V1's. And as I've also heard many should have already been replaced. I miss having a fast car. I had a 500hp Mitsubishi Evolution 8. My R1 is fast but I need something I can drive.. Motorcycles don't count. I have a 1985 Iroc z28 in my garage with an LT1 waiting to be boosted but I need my 4 door people mover before I start on that project. Suggestions? Thoughts? Opinions? All are welcome. By the way... to be honest I've only been lurking around this forum for about 3 months. So I am still fairly new.

----------

I re-read what I just posted and I don't think I was clear... My finance company would only finance me for 40k and the camaro with neg equity came out to be 42k. Just had to clear that up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

H-town_V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    First gen Vs aren't even a decade old and there already classics. for the money I don't think you can buy a better 4door muscle car. Just test drive a couple, if it hasn't been totally beat up by previous owners its gonna be a great car and you will never regret buying it.

Ps: my dad owned a v10 m5...it would burn thru a quart of oil a month and was in the shop more times than I can count.

Re: Next Vehicle Purchase

Yea... Another problem with the M5. The more I think about it the the cts-v makes sense. If something breaks I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper than any of the other vehicles. I would test drive but I'm buying in February (My Birthday).. .If I test drove now I wouldn't wait.. and I'd buy now.. knowing I should wait

A b7 s4 also meets your criteria.

Took a quick jot to Wikipedia and checked out the s4... I know nothing about it... but from what I've seen is it is awd??? I went through 3 transfer cases in my EVO. AWD is really complicated.. I'd rather rear wheel drive. I know cornering the s4 is probably going to be amazing... but.. IDK..I'm kind of afraid of German. Would you be able to weight the pro's and con's about the b7 s4? I'll probably go to kbb to check the dimensions of the rear seat with legroom. Also... it appears to only be 340hp... I am in the market for 400hp+

Quote Originally Posted by That_One_Guy
    Took a quick jot to Wikipedia and checked out the s4... I know nothing about it... but from what I've seen is it is awd??? I went through 3 transfer cases in my EVO. AWD is really complicated.. I'd rather rear wheel drive. I know cornering the s4 is probably going to be amazing... but.. IDK..I'm kind of afraid of German. Would you be able to weight the pro's and con's about the b7 s4? I'll probably go to kbb to check the dimensions of the rear seat with legroom. Also... it appears to only be 340hp... I am in the market for 400hp+
    S4's are deff AWD but there built like tanks. Audi also de-tunes it from the factory, it's well known that just a tune even without any mods will get you around 400hp easy.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
    Yea... Another problem with the M5. The more I think about it the the cts-v makes sense. If something breaks I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper than any of the other vehicles. I would test drive but I'm buying in February (My Birthday).. .If I test drove now I wouldn't wait.. and I'd buy now.. knowing I should wait
    Hello That_One_Guy,

Welcome to the forum! If you need any assistance locating a CTS-V in February, feel free to reach out to Laura or myself via private message and we would be happy to assist you. If you have any questions please let us know! Thank you very much for your time and keep us updated on what you choose!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hmmm... Very interesting..

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello That_One_Guy,

Welcome to the forum! If you need any assistance locating a CTS-V in February, feel free to reach out to Laura or myself via private message and we would be happy to assist you. If you have any questions please let us know! Thank you very much for your time and keep us updated on what you choose!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you. I'll keep that in mind when I am ready...

CTS4 V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Audi S4

B6/B7 S4's have the same powertrain, I have a B6 and for the past two years I have owned it, I've never seen anyone with an AWD related problem. You can launch them as hard as you want all day and they'll survive. The weak point, however, are the stock clutches.

It's funny my girl has been talking about replacing her VW cc so I suggested an audi and she got all excited. Were gonna go test drive some new b8 S4's tomorrow. I suggested the b6/7 but she's got money and thinks used cars are dirty, smh.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I like your options. Although I have my CTS-V for sale now, I have really enjoyed owning it, it's stylish, functional, and comfortable...and has been reliable. I don't think you can go wrong with a V1 for the money, and in my opinion they've got a lot more going for them than cars that cost a lot more. A friend of mine bought a new 2012 M3 last year--I've been in it many times and also driven it on occasion. It's a really nice car, and on the track you can really attack the corners, but for driving around 99% of the time there is no question for me that the torque you get with the LS2 makes driving the V more enjoyable.

I wouldn't buy the V10 M5...I've heard a lot about how unreliable they are. And you have to think that it has one of the 1st generation DSG transmissions, so even when it is working correctly, it's going to be horrible for everyday driving (and not very enjoyable). I also wouldn't buy an Audi either...maybe it's just me but I think they look pretty terrible and I don't care for AWD systems at all. The Merc C63 AMG on the other hand is something to behold...

Quote Originally Posted by CTS4 V View Post
    B6/B7 S4's have the same powertrain, I have a B6 and for the past two years I have owned it, I've never seen anyone with an AWD related problem. You can launch them as hard as you want all day and they'll survive. The weak point, however, are the stock clutches.
    I've always liked how the audi's looked. well.. the recent generations with those led lights in the frnot. my wife likes them too. I'll start doing a little research from my end today. I didnt know one would be in my range of cars. hmmmmm... Still with that being said cts-v remains near the top. if I could get a v2 to fall in my price range I'll go that route. But... I will take the time to look at these audi's.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    I like your options. Although I have my CTS-V for sale now, I have really enjoyed owning it, it's stylish, functional, and comfortable...and has been reliable. I don't think you can go wrong with a V1 for the money, and in my opinion they've got a lot more going for them than cars that cost a lot more. A friend of mine bought a new 2012 M3 last year--I've been in it many times and also driven it on occasion. It's a really nice car, and on the track you can really attack the corners, but for driving around 99% of the time there is no question for me that the torque you get with the LS2 makes driving the V more enjoyable.

I wouldn't buy the V10 M5...I've heard a lot about how unreliable they are. And you have to think that it has one of the 1st generation DSG transmissions, so even when it is working correctly, it's going to be horrible for everyday driving (and not very enjoyable). I also wouldn't buy an Audi either...maybe it's just me but I think they look pretty terrible and I don't care for AWD systems at all. The Merc C63 AMG on the other hand is something to behold...
    The lack of torque is saddening in the M series of vehicles. Also the unreliability of the smg transmission in the m5's (06-07) scare me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 6 months is a long time. A lot can change. Thank you guys for the input. I am not one for leaving my vehicle's stock. I am wondering how some of these vehicles respond to mods... I know that modding an m3 or m5 would cost the same money as a small used honda civic every upgrade lol.

kyle242gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Welcome - I did the same sort of search as OP. Late-model 3-series BMW's have lost the legendary reliability of the E36/46 series cars, have gotten larger and heavier, and have electric power steering which really sucks. I can't imagine trying to be my own wrench on one of those. 06 M5? That is one ugly sucker, which instantly removes it from my list.

The V1 is not as nice inside as a BMW, but has similar chassis rigidity and a great engine/trans. Rear end can be a weak point, but as long as you treat it reasonably, I think it's fine.

If you put the V1 in the same performance/equipment/lux bucket as the M3/M5, you'll see it's underpriced for its content. That's what sold me.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind when I am ready...
    Hello That_One_Guy,

You are very welcome! We will keep an eye out for your message. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V
    It's funny my girl has been talking about replacing her VW cc so I suggested an audi and she got all excited. Were gonna go test drive some new b8 S4's tomorrow. I suggested the b6/7 but she's got money and thinks used cars are dirty, smh.
    So after a long day at the local audi dealer i think we made the right decision and decided to keep the VW for now. Although she loved the s4 it was hard to justify the price jump compared to her CC which is still a very nice car just not fast. Plus I think the b8 is due to be replaced soon so maybe in a year or so the prices will drop once the new models are released.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.