New Bridgestone RE050As
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Bridgestone RE050As in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Just replaced my F1s, after 8500 miles, with Bridgestone RE050As. Still expensive, but less than the F1s and customers at ...
    Pillboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

New Bridgestone RE050As

Just replaced my F1s, after 8500 miles, with Bridgestone RE050As. Still expensive, but less than the F1s and customers at the Tire Rack seem to get some decent milage out of them. Curiously, in all the tire threads, this tire has not been mentioned. As far as I can tell, the ride is a tad softer than the F1s, but I have not tested the g-meter yet. I am willing to give up some ultimate performance for better milage but not willing to give up the run-flats as my wife uses this for her daily driver. (Its my weekend car, along with my MR2 Spyder - my daily driver is a company issued Explorer). Is there any reason this tire has been overlooked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: New Bridgestone RE050As

Quote Originally Posted by Pillboy
    Just replaced my F1s, after 8500 miles, with Bridgestone RE050As. Still expensive, but less than the F1s and customers at the Tire Rack seem to get some decent milage out of them. Curiously, in all the tire threads, this tire has not been mentioned. As far as I can tell, the ride is a tad softer than the F1s, but I have not tested the g-meter yet. I am willing to give up some ultimate performance for better milage but not willing to give up the run-flats as my wife uses this for her daily driver. (Its my weekend car, along with my MR2 Spyder - my daily driver is a company issued Explorer). Is there any reason this tire has been overlooked?
    It's been discussed in numerous tire threads; in fact, they are on my short list when the time comes (I still have plenty of meat on the F1's after 6500 miles of spirited but no burnout miles). Like you, I want to stay with a runflat. Did you look at the re040's, too?

I seem to recall at least one person trashing the Bridgestones for quality issues, though that has not knocked them off of my list.

Where did you get them and what did you pay (if you don't mind my being nosey)? Do they have the rim protector like the F1's? Please keep us advised on how fast they wear.

thanks and enjoy the new rubber (tires, I mean).

doug

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Actually they have bene mentioned - albeit briefly:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...04&postcount=8

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...9&postcount=22

I would say that 99% of V owners who have posted about tires - have either dropped EMT's all together *or* replaced (the f1's) with same. I think there was only 1-2 (IIRC) ppl who have tried another EMT - (and again IIRC it was the) Dunlop?

Out of the 99% I would say >80% gave up on EMTs, and won't be going back - no matter which brand.

Let us know what you think of the RE050As (over time).

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

I will definately be sticking with some brand of run flat tire. All set putting a 62-pound spare and jack in my trunk.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Run flats are great idea. However, I have not , nor anyone I know had a flat in 15 years? Its a rarety, unless you live on a construction site. I think bagging the flats isnt necessarly a bad idea. I think the Phord Exploder started this whole mess.
    Pehaps its cheap insurance to have a RF on a performance car. I wouldnt want a flat at 130+.

Now watch me get 3 this week.

I do remember my father telling me about some of his dates where it was not uncommon to get 2-3 flats in one evening..but that was 50 years ago.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I've had 2 flats in my V already - one on a F1-EMT the other on a GS-D3 (this one was a side puncture and could not be repaired)

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    I've had 2 flats in my V already - one on a F1-EMT the other on a GS-D3 (this one was a side puncture and could not be repaired)
    Benjet, you need a good luck charm!

Pillboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[QUOTE=6104696]It's been discussed in numerous tire threads; in fact, they are on my short list when the time comes (I still have plenty of meat on the F1's after 6500 miles of spirited but no burnout miles). Like you, I want to stay with a runflat. Did you look at the re040's, too?

Yes, but there were several complaints about them on various sites and the RE050s were generally well recieved.

Where did you get them and what did you pay (if you don't mind my being nosey)?

I got them from a local tire store - not a chain. They matched Tire Racks price for me - so, 267 per tire, 11 to mount, with disposal fee and tax it was still about 1300. Plus they broke a TPS, which they are fixing.

Do they have the rim protector like the F1's?
    Not sure what the rim protector is. I will have to check.

Please keep us advised on how fast they wear.
    Will do.

And sure, I don't think ditching the run-flats are a bad idea. I just prefer not to. In 20 years of driving I have had probably 8 flat tires.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: New Bridgestone RE050As

Pillboy,

I wouldn't worry about losing any performance with the new tires. From what I've experienced after replacing my F1's with Dunlop M3 SNOW TIRES is that the car still corners amazingly well. I've been able to pull 1.01g with the snow tires and routinely over .94... and your tires are more sport oriented than my tires. The highest I got with the F1's throught the same turns (before the rear end would step out) was only a few 1/100's of a g more.

The biggest difference is in how the tire feels and responds, with my M3's the ride is softer and there's more tread squirm. The longer tread life and softer ride are worth a few fractions of a g.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks
    Pillboy,

I wouldn't worry about losing any performance with the new tires. From what I've experienced after replacing my F1's with Dunlop M3 SNOW TIRES is that the car still corners amazingly well. I've been able to pull 1.01g with the snow tires and routinely over .94... and your tires are more sport oriented than my tires. The highest I got with the F1's throught the same turns (before the rear end would step out) was only a few 1/100's of a g more.

The biggest difference is in how the tire feels and responds, with my M3's the ride is softer and there's more tread squirm. The longer tread life and softer ride are worth a few fractions of a g.
    You can probably get the V's g-meter to hit higher numbers more easily with snows or lower performance tires. What C&D and other mags do to get g numbers is consistent skidpads without losing control. You can get even higher numbers by skidding out of control which, obviously, is a bad indication of the tires.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: New Bridgestone RE050As

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    You can probably get the V's g-meter to hit higher numbers more easily with snows or lower performance tires. What C&D and other mags do to get g numbers is consistent skidpads without losing control. You can get even higher numbers by skidding out of control which, obviously, is a bad indication of the tires.
    But the numbers were generated on the same roads after many runs (30+). If anything, the V with F1's was more progressive when pushed over the limit than the M3's.

Dave's V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Once the F1 EMTs are gone, they are going to be replaced with "normal" tires. Forget the spare, just put a couple cans of fix a flat and tire pressure sensors and a small air compressor in the trunk.

If the hole is too big, you'll be waiting for a new tire anyway.

Run flats provide an excellent safety benefit but they are 30% more expensive, last at least 30% less, noisier and more rough of a ride.

A high performance tire shouldn't have a blow out anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.