Dropping the T56...Any tips for the process?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Dropping the T56...Any tips for the process? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm heading out for a few hours but as soon as I get back the T56 is coming out of ...
    eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Mini, '96 Impala SS, '07 MSRT8...

Dropping the T56...Any tips for the process?

I'm heading out for a few hours but as soon as I get back the T56 is coming out of my parts car...possibly to be swapped into mine. Any tips or advice from someone that's done it already? I've pulled the LT1 T56 in my Impala a few times, but I know these a different...like the clutch for instance. My first step is normally to unbolt the slave.

What first? The DS is already out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Dropping the T56...Any tips for the process?

You can use the starter motor bolts for guides.

Once you get the splines lined up and inserted into the clutch, it makes installation a lot easier.

I used cut off lengths of threaded rod to make four guides and then just tightened nuts to pull the trans onto the motor.

Oh I'm not even there yet. I have to get it out of the car first. The LT1 T56 has a clutch fork that you've got to disengage to get the tranny out. Is there a similar setup on the LS T56?

I made contact with the previous owner as well and he said that he was leaving the shop with his brand new LS7 clutch and flywheel installed when the car caught fire. Great news for me...a brand new clutch and flywheel are hiding under there with less than probably 10 miles on them!

It ended up coming out i just had to use a mini crowbar in the slots on the side to break it loose. I didn't like jerking the car so much when I was under it while on jackstands. That clutch and flywheel look like they never even made contact. Very happy about this. Also pulled the starter and cats while I was under there...but couldn't get the starter out until I had the tranny out. I'm guessing it only comes out one way and I didn't have the patience to fight with it.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

There is no fork ...or spoon lol.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...h-install.html

Thanks, I wish I saw that before I started. Yes, I figured out there's no fork once I got it apart. Luckily the clutch line was already separated so once I had the tranny laying on my chest I didn't have to fight anything to get it on the ground.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.