Throwout bearing/slave cylinder question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Throwout bearing/slave cylinder question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello everyone. Haven't been on much lately, also haven't had use of my car too much this summer. You might ...
    Railgunn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Throwout bearing/slave cylinder question

Hello everyone. Haven't been on much lately, also haven't had use of my car too much this summer.

You might recall a thread in April regarding my transmission rebuild; as part of the work, I went ahead and installed a new master cylinder, plus a slave cylinder/throwout bearing. Everything went back together, and it drove really well. I put a few hundred miles on the car, and everything seemed fine. Beginning in July, I started hearing a racket every time I would depress the clutch with the car in gear; this began right after driving home in one of those biblical rainstorms that Central Florida is known for, water pooling all over the road, hydroplaning, etc. The squealing didn't go a way, so I brought it back in to have a look. (Keep in mind, I have put less than 1,000 miles on the repair at this point.) The diagnosis is a faulty throwout bearing; the part is under a 12 mo. / 12K GM warranty, so we swapped it out, and it drove with no issues for about 2 weeks.

Yesterday, got caught in another torrential downpour, had to drive 15 MPH under the limit, could barely see the car in front of me, less than a 10 mile drive. Went out a couple hours later and started to back out, and the same squealing sound again!

I really don't know what to do at this point. This is my second slave cylinder/throwout bearing in less than 1500 miles, from April to August. I will be taking it to Massey Cadillac for further diagnosis. The previous repairs were performed at another shop that uses GM-trained techs. Please review and respond if you have any ideas why this keeps happening. Rain is an everyday occurance during Florida summers, and this is my only car. I really want to drive it for a while longer, but I'm growing frustrated with this issue.

Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Throwout bearing/slave cylinder question

GM redesigned the save cylinder and made the center portion plastic and 'keyed' so the bearing is the only part that can rotate. I'm assuming this is why it is squeaking. You may want to keep it running for a few minutes to dry it out after it rains really hard.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. With the last bearing, it began with a slight noise now and then, but eventually became a constant noise whenever the clutch was depressed, with the car in gear. The noise is fairly loud, sort of like when a power steering pump goes dry. Should water really be getting inside the bell housing like that? Seems like it should be sealed.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Railgunn View Post
    Hello everyone. Haven't been on much lately, also haven't had use of my car too much this summer.

You might recall a thread in April regarding my transmission rebuild; as part of the work, I went ahead and installed a new master cylinder, plus a slave cylinder/throwout bearing. Everything went back together, and it drove really well. I put a few hundred miles on the car, and everything seemed fine. Beginning in July, I started hearing a racket every time I would depress the clutch with the car in gear; this began right after driving home in one of those biblical rainstorms that Central Florida is known for, water pooling all over the road, hydroplaning, etc. The squealing didn't go a way, so I brought it back in to have a look. (Keep in mind, I have put less than 1,000 miles on the repair at this point.) The diagnosis is a faulty throwout bearing; the part is under a 12 mo. / 12K GM warranty, so we swapped it out, and it drove with no issues for about 2 weeks.

Yesterday, got caught in another torrential downpour, had to drive 15 MPH under the limit, could barely see the car in front of me, less than a 10 mile drive. Went out a couple hours later and started to back out, and the same squealing sound again!

I really don't know what to do at this point. This is my second slave cylinder/throwout bearing in less than 1500 miles, from April to August. I will be taking it to Massey Cadillac for further diagnosis. The previous repairs were performed at another shop that uses GM-trained techs. Please review and respond if you have any ideas why this keeps happening. Rain is an everyday occurance during Florida summers, and this is my only car. I really want to drive it for a while longer, but I'm growing frustrated with this issue.

Thanks for reading.
    Hello Railgunn,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing again with your CTS-V. I understand your frustration in having to repair a slave cylinder/throwout bearing for a second time in less than 1500 miles. I see you are bringing your vehicle into the dealership for further diagnosis. Please keep us posted on the status of your vehicle and let us know if there is anything we can assist with. We can be contacted via private message to further discuss concerns or questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Wow, thanks for reading and responding! I will certainly post as I find out more. I will make a couple of short trips today and report back on the condition. Regardless, I will have it over to Massey within the next week. I don't drive every day, as I work from home, so this isn't affecting a commute, thankfully. I do want to get this sorted, though. This car is huge fun to drive when all is right.

Wow, thanks for reading and responding! I will certainly post as I find out more. I will make a couple of short trips today and report back on the condition. Regardless, I will have it over to Massey within the next week. I don't drive every day, as I work from home, so this isn't affecting a commute, thankfully. I do want to get this sorted, though. This car is huge fun to drive when all is right.
    Hi Railgunn,

You are welcome! I am here to help and assist any way possible. I bet your CTS-V is a blast to drive when it is properly functioning! I want your issues taken care of also, that's why I have asked you to keep me informed throughout this process.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Update: Drove 3 short trips yesterday, including some interstate travel, no noises that I could detect. I will note that performance has not suffered regarding acceleration or steady-state driving during this time, only noise when in gear with the clutch pedal depressed. The clutch had approximately 50% material left when it was last inspected, fine for a car with 51,000 miles on it.

I will make an appt. with a service advisor with Massey later this week to discuss what seems to be a water intrusion issue, since that seems to be the precursor to the bearing noise.

I just heard from my service writer at Massey Cadillac. The recently replaced master cylinder, slave cylinder/throwout bearing all look good. Apparently, the pilot bearing has been the culprit all along, and was not checked or replaced during the previous repairs. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will put an end to this matter. It's really too bad I have to pay for another teardown to discover this, I'll have to be more careful the next time I choose someplace to get service.

Anyone else had issues with their pilot bearing going bad? Is this something that should've been checked when the transmission was rebuilt, and master cyl./slave cyl. were replaced?

PISNUOFF Guest

I replace mine every time the trans and/or the clutch is out. It's only $15.
    lollygagger8 likes this.

I just heard from my service writer at Massey Cadillac. The recently replaced master cylinder, slave cylinder/throwout bearing all look good. Apparently, the pilot bearing has been the culprit all along, and was not checked or replaced during the previous repairs. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will put an end to this matter. It's really too bad I have to pay for another teardown to discover this, I'll have to be more careful the next time I choose someplace to get service.

Anyone else had issues with their pilot bearing going bad? Is this something that should've been checked when the transmission was rebuilt, and master cyl./slave cyl. were replaced?
    Hello Railgunn,

I apologize for the trouble you had to deal with for figuring out what the issue with your vehicle was. I see the dealer helped locate the vehicle issue for you and is going to fix this. I hope this resolves your vehicle concern as well. Please let me know how everything goes. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if any concerns or questions arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

PISNUOFF Guest

I'm glad they continued to charge him money to repeatedly swap something that wasn't the issue. Especially when the bad part should have been changed the first time, or at least suggested to change. It's really sad that dealership 'technicians' are really just parts changers.

Just heard from the dealership, car was washed and ready to go, and the on-site rental company backed into my drivers door! Unbelievable. Going over now to survey the damage, and get a rental while the door is repaired.

Pisnuoff, I completely understand regarding the pilot bearing. It's a shame that such a small part could cause so much trouble. I've had good luck with that shop in the past, but I will limit my exposure there in the future.

Just heard from the dealership, car was washed and ready to go, and the on-site rental company backed into my drivers door! Unbelievable. Going over now to survey the damage, and get a rental while the door is repaired.

Pisnuoff, I completely understand regarding the pilot bearing. It's a shame that such a small part could cause so much trouble. I've had good luck with that shop in the past, but I will limit my exposure there in the future.
    Hi Railgunn,

I am sorry to hear your vehicle door was damaged and you now have to wait for another repair! Thanks for being patient throughout this process. I am sorry if you are annoyed or frustrated with your situation you are dealing with. I hope your vehicle is back in your hands soon!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

PISNUOFF Guest

I tried dealing with their parts department two years ago when I was stranded down there with a busted clutch. They were less than helpful, to put it nicely.

Back from the dealership. Damage was on the passenger side, limited to the front door panel. The rental car company is covering all the bodywork costs, and has issued me a 2014 Chevy Impala until the repair is complete, also at no cost, so I'm as happy as I could reasonably be about this. Nice car, just not my car. Massey took 5% off the pilot bearing repair for my troubles. My service writer, Michael, has been professional and positive to deal with.

I had my issues with Massey a few years ago as well, that's why I found an alternative resource for parts and repair. It seems that they have upped their game some, so we'll see how they do going forward. During this visit, They identified a couple of other issues that I need to take care of, but were reasonable about getting them resolved in future visits, rather than strong arming me into a several thousand dollar repair bill by dealing with it all at once.

I used to enjoy doing my own repairs as a younger man; my first car was a 1969 Firebird, and I worked on it almost every week when I was in high school in the early 1980s. I also helped rebuild a 55 Chevy 210 during that time. I wish I had the facilities and time to work on my V, but it isn't practical for me to do repairs of that nature right now. I'm mulling over whether to do my rear brakes myself, need to get a floor jack & some jack stands.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.