Help im leaking coolant!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By heavymetals
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Help im leaking coolant! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So my Engine Coolant Low DIC warning came up so I checked it out. I was indeed a bit low ...
    WarrenMRogers is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Help im leaking coolant!

So my Engine Coolant Low DIC warning came up so I checked it out. I was indeed a bit low so I topped it off and let her sit overnight to check for leaks. No leaks. So I ran it and still no leaks. I drove on and kept an eye on it. About three days ago, it occurred again, this time I could smell burnt coolant. I put some cardboard under it, and sure enough... leak city. I opened her up and looked around but saw nothing from the top so I jacked her up and looked underneath. It appears the coolant is draining in the middle of the plastic skid protector jobbie there and leaking out to the passenger side by the wheel. I took it off and looked around but that did not answer any questions either-- there is coolant everywhere as far back as my oil pan.

Soooo I take a deep breath and remove the radiator shroud, check all the lines again (no leaks there) and remove the airbox and the radiator fans. It's at this point that I noticed....

It appears to be leaking from this guy on the driver's side without the tape on it. I checked the passenger side and the tape is quite secure. Is this possible? What do I plug that with?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Re: Help im leaking coolant!

What kind of radiator is that? It doesn't look OEM or like an Alradco (The common aftermarket choice).

69stangscj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 69 Mustang Mach I

Those look like Automatic transmission cooler lines. I would say you need a new radiator if coolant is coming from there. Be lucky you don't have an auto trans or you would be replacing that also. I guess you could plug both holes.....
    Those are compression fittings, I think I would look at Jegs and maybe come up with something.

I don't remember the brand. It was a cheapo I got last year that was mentioned in a thread. Argghh

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

It looks to me like it is leaking above the fitting.

Also, I think I see coolant on some fins.

Although the fitting could be leaking also.

Cap it off and pressurize it.

I think you fractured a tube.

The coolant above there is due to the` removal of coolant lines prior to fan removal. All of the original was south of this area, that I'm aware of.

If you think it is leaking from the compression fitting(s) for the trans cooler then just cap them off.
    odthetruth likes this.

what do I cap them with?

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenMRogers View Post
    what do I cap them with?
    You take the compression fitting nut and find one that doesn't have a hole in it or you take small lengths of copper pipe that fit the compression fittings and seal off the end.

You can cap off the end of the pipe and solder it.

Simple plumbing fix.

Becker is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

cap them with tape, seemed to hold up this long....wow amazing (if that is the only leak point)

Sorry to hear of that, I hate leaks! they are impossible to get clean! I just noticed some white spots on my engine so now I am on the hunt for coolant leak..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.