HELP Cooling system - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, HELP Cooling system in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does anyone think the lower splash guard has anything to do with the cooling mine is not there it was ...
    stever06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Re: HELP Cooling system

Does anyone think the lower splash guard has anything to do with the cooling mine is not there it was missing when I bought the car.
    Those temps JFensty posted are great. I can see both fans running while a/c is on but my temps sure don't go down with the a/c on.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Well, you need a lower splash guard because it helps guide the airflow under the car. Without it, people have reported their hood jumping up and down at high speeds.

However, your problem doesn't seem to be related. Have you replaced your thermostat yet? Stat needs to be replaced with stock (at the minimum) because the stock one could be sticking shut and not flowing enough coolant or replaced with 160 stat (optimally).

Thanks for the info I ordered a 180 should be here Friday going to replace it this weekend. wanted to stick with 180 because of cold temps here in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by stever06 View Post
    Thanks for the info I ordered a 180 should be here Friday going to replace it this weekend. wanted to stick with 180 because of cold temps here in Illinois.
    Great. Hope you enjoy the ritual quarterly coolant draining session.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Quarterly coolant draining? Why would you do that? Maybe I missed something. Just changed mine out at 100k miles looked great car runs cool.

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    Quarterly coolant draining? Why would you do that? Maybe I missed something. Just changed mine out at 100k miles looked great car runs cool.
    That was a bad joke about how often I have to have the rad out for various reasons.

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Running a lower temp tstat is pointless unless you lower the temp at which the fans turn on. Otherwise you may actually increase your temps due to the tstat being wide open and flowing the coolant too fast through the radiator not giving sufficient time to dissipate the heat.
    I would say yes you need the lower splash guard. When driving it will help pull more air through the radiator.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I will try that thanks. I thought I read some where on the forum about one of the guys changing the fans to two 5 blade for better air flow wonder if that would help.
    Search for posts in the last month or two by Naf, he was the one that was talking about doing that.

I did go through the grounds which made my oil temp reading a little better. I will install a 180 I live in Chicago and will have to drive the car in the winter when its not snowing. It just gets so hot when not moving is why I think its the fans not moving enough air.

Also this morning driving in to work it was about 83 and humid the car was running 192 on highway and 208 in traffic the a/c was doing ok but once the temp hits about 210 the a/c is done unless I can get the car moving and get some air through the condenser.
    Mine is behaving much the same way. When I'm stopped or going slow I'm apparently not getting enough air through the condenser and radiator. A/C stops blowing cold air and coolant temp starts to go up. Once I get rolling, A/C will start blowing cold air and coolant temp will eventually come back down. I had the A/C checked by the dealer a couple weeks back and they confirmed it's fully charged.

I do wonder if the Alradco radiator (I have one, too) isn't helping the low speed airflow, but with that said, there are other Alradco folks who don't seem to have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    210 is normal operating temp for a stock engine, IIRC.
    Depends on when he's hitting that 210F. If it's stationary, that's not horrible. If it's at speed, that's definitely not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    My guess is that the fans aren't working correctly. With a/c on, both fans should be on. With a/c off, fans are temp specific. IIRC, one fan turns on at 208 or something ridiculous and the secondary comes on at 215. I would stay with the 195 tstat and change the fan temps.
    The fans aren't always on if A/C is on - they're triggered by refrigerant pressure (~210# for low speed, ~265# for high speed - and no, I have no idea what those translate to as far as ambient temps or interior temps are concerned). And the low speed fans should come on at 202F, which doesn't strike me as ridiculous based on what the stock thermostat rating is. High speed fans come on at 220F.

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    Otherwise you may actually increase your temps due to the tstat being wide open and flowing the coolant too fast through the radiator not giving sufficient time to dissipate the heat.
    That's an old wive's tale. Heat transfer in a heat exchanger is proportional to the mass flow rate of fluid.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

My a/c was operating the same way with the stock rad. With the alradco its only slightly worse because the alradco is a little thicker again going back to the airflow with the fans while the car is not moving.

update installed the 180 tstat the temp is a little better but it looks like the pass side fan is not working properly so does anybody know if the fan assemblies on ebay are the same for the standard cts and the v. I do still believe the need to be reset with a tune to a lower temp.

Update #2 installed new fan on pass side, also installed 5 blade fan on pass in place of the 7 blade there is definitely more airflow temps today are near 90 while driving on the highway the temp is at 195 solid, the a/c is ice cold. on the local streets the temp rises to 210 to 220 if im siting still for a while it starts to creep up to 230 this is all with the a/c on if I don't get moving it starts to get to 244 the a/c is long gone by then. the heat soke with the a/c on is killing the temps. also installed the lower splash guard it helped a little with airflow. and yes the fans are running I have pulled over to check. pretty frustrating!!!! im sure a tune will help but again the fans should be running when the temps are that high and a/c is on.

I'm wondering if there's maybe something going on with your water pump. Have you called alradco for their advice?

Also, have you tried changing your coolant to water ratio from 1:1 to like 1:2 or 1:3?

Thanks for the reply Hamster I did add water the last few times I pulled the rad it prob at 1:2 now. Ill have to contact Alradco for some advice thanks for the good idea. Water pump issue, havnt really thought about the water pump being an issue all looks ok from the outside and the car is ok without the a/c running it seems to be a problem from the added heat soak of the a/c condenser with the a/c running.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

update on this? please.

atvguy585 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.