Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Home from Transmission Repairs + New Monster Clutch - Have a few concerns.

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  DDS rollin a CTS 
#1 ·
I had another thread going with Reverse grind issues:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/289611-reverse-grind-again.html

I finally have it back, with a few new concerns.

They replaced the reverse syncro and a bunch of other parts:

They had it all back together, Reverse was fine, but they said it was grinding into 3rd now. So they took it back apart. After a long time they told me they found out something along the lines of there was a revision with the transmission design and they needed to change some parts.

First off, the shifter feels a lot stiffer than before, it actually sticks to the right as shown.

I already got under the car and loosened the bolt on the bottom of the shifter and that did not make a difference. What are your thoughts on this? It did seem to get a little better after I swung it back and forth real fast a few times, but still not as fluid of motion as before. Do you think I need to drive it more or is there a problem that needs addressed regardless ?

I had them install a Monster Stage 2 Clutch with the 28lb. flywheel, came with a new slave cylinder and I also bought the remote bleeder.
When pressing in the clutch while driving at moderate to high RPM's I feel a vibration in the pedal. It feels like a rubber sliding on metal type of vibration, just as the pedal pushes in (kind of like a fart, :)) If I slow way down or be real easy it does not do it; and it feels completely smooth when I am in neutral and pressing in the clutch. This is the first time I have ever had a new clutch installed, is this something that will get better or is it another issue? Pedal seems easier to press in and clutch grabs nice and smooth.

Last question is: I noticed that my transmission temp was 228 degrees on my way home. It is significantly hotter outside than it was a month ago, but I have never seen it past 190ish; and usually around 160-170. I would say it is 90 outside. I wound up the gears a little here and there, but never launched it being I'm still trying to figure out the above issues.

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Lol man, with all those parts it would have been easier for them to just put in a new transmission.

I remember when j had the clutch done in my last car (2010 Cobalt SS) and replaced t with an Exedy, the clutch felt like you are talking about with the fart engagement... It was also audible for a bit. But it went away after a few days. Possible break in maybe?

#3 ·
Well I was just under the car double checking the bolt on the bottom of the shifter and realized.... the entire bottom of the damn car is coated in transmission fluid. WTF The fill and drain plugs are dry, seems to be coming from the front of the trans, it is coming out from at least half way up.

Guess I get to go dance with the dealer some more.

#4 ·
You are really making me not want to replace my clutch anymore! Hehehe. I think some of that is normal but I say the fluid everywhere is not! Wish I could help more but I am watching to see what happens because I will be here someday myself replacing the same stuff. Let me know how you like the monster. Debating that and an LS7 style clutch.

BDV

#5 ·
That might explain the temp which does seem high. Even in 100degree Texas heat mine never gets that hot either. 180ish at most, lack of fluid and it being all over the underside of your car might be the cause of that at least. After the dealings I had at the dealer this week over tire sensors I wonder how independent shops don't put them all out of business.

#6 ·
Hello SevillanSTS,

I apologize that your vehicle had transmission fluid all over the underbody when you brought it home from the dealership and that the new clutch may be experiencing another issue. I would suggest bringing it up to the dealership when you bring it back in for the transmission fluid. If you would like us to be involved with working with the dealership, please send us a private message. Thank you very much for your time and keeping us updated regarding your situation.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
Was gonna take the car back on my lunch; dealer is like 5-10 minutes away. Didn't make it to work. I was coming to a stop sign, pushed in clutch and as I pulled the shifter out of 5th the whole car bucked and acted real weird. So I went to first and took off from the stop sign... started hearing loud whirling syncro type sounds as I was approaching the next stop light. This time I went to first and the car just didn't want to go, put it in N and let off the clutch and it goes backwards. Anyways, I think it is stuck in Reverse now. Towed to the dealer and had them drop me off at work.

----------

It was trans fluid, not clutch fluid. Gonna be pissed if I can't make our meet Aug 24th.

#12 ·
Hello SevillianSTS,

I am sorry that your vehicle was experiencing trouble after all that work and for any inconvenience your car trouble caused you. I see you were able to get the vehicle towed to the dealer and that they are going to replace the transmission for you now? Please continue to update us on the status of your vehicle.

Thanks,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#10 ·
That sucks, hopefully you get it sorted out.

Do you still have an extended warranty on your V? Or how did you get this covered?
At this point I would be asking for a new transmission. You brought them a working trans that would grind going into Reverse and they gave you back a leaking trans that doesn't work. I wouldn't have very high expectations for rebuild #2.

#15 ·
This sounds like just plain incompetent technicians. If a list is that big and you don't have an absolute pro who has built these transmissions before just put in a new one. I can't imagine the dealer saved much in terms of parts and their labor cost on rebuilding this trans.

#20 ·
Hmmm, now you're making me nervous. My car is in the shop right now for similar reasons (cc was grinding going into 3rd, they started with replacing some worn rear bushings, then finally dropped the trans). I don't know what all they had to replace, but the tech sent me pics one day of what he said was a gear that was rounded in areas where it was supposed to be sharp. I couldn't really tell anything from the pics he sent me. Anyways I had them replace all the rear bushings with revshift reds, the engine mounts were shot so they got replaced with revshift blues, and while the trans was down I had them install a monster stage 2 and remote bleeder. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow, I'll be sure to give it a thorough shake down over the next week as I go on vacation on friday.

#21 ·
Seems we have the same setup going on now; I don't have my RevShift Blue motor mounts in yet though. Currently have new stock motor mounts in from last year. Might have to sit in your car and see how it feels if I want to take the time to pull my good stock mounts off =)

#22 ·
If you get vibration in the clutch pedal, that probably means that your pressure plate bolts aren't torqued equally. Some of the fingers that the slave throw-out bearing depress are probably folded outward a little further than the others.

If you lightly apply pressure to the clutch pedal, does the vibration get significantly worse? If so, then what I said above is the problem.

#26 ·
I have a similar vibration in my clutch, but I see from the other thread that it's probably not much to worry about. Like with Sevillian its minor and only on initial clutch application. On another note I think I'd recommend that anyone else doing bushings go with the blue for the differential bushing. I went with the read and damn if I don't have to turn up the radio to drown out my diff noise now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.