ZDDP modifier.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, ZDDP modifier. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Normally I use lucas. But when I picked up oil yesterday all they had was STP... Anyone use STP before? ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Normally I use lucas. But when I picked up oil yesterday all they had was STP... Anyone use STP before? I got it anyways cuz I don't want to make a second trip if I don't need to. But if its shitty I'm not gonna use it.

And yea I hate shopping at Walmart as much as the next person but the 5 quart jug of Mobil1 is like $22 vs Napa which is $10 more

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: ZDDP modifier.

Are you breaking in a new flat tappet motor?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You DO NOT need oil additives (based on a LOT of experience and the recommendations in your owner's manual) and FWIW, ZDDP "enhancers" are a very good way to kill a catalytic converter. Today's cat precious metals formulations are what caused the oil refiners/blenders to lower the ZDDP levels. Your engine uses roller cam followers - which is another reason you don't need to "juice' extra ZDDP.

But, from your car's description it would appear that you may not have cat(s) installed - or do you need them for California inspections ?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

And yea I hate shopping at Walmart as much as the next person but the 5 quart jug of Mobil1 is like $22 vs Napa which is $10 more
    Nothing wrong with shopping wally-world for oil. Any sane person would. What I would not do, is use any kind of additive, at all. I have never heard, anyone, in any thread on BITOG, recommend an additive. They mess with the package already used in the oil, and lead to a lot of unknowns.

You know when I might use an additive? If the car burns a quart of oil every 500 miles and I planned to throw it in the scrap yard within a month.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

My tuner, and a lot of other performance LS tuner-builders recommend Brad Penn 10W-40 race oil, which has the same high zinc content of the pre-cat days. If we are all running catted with the rear O2s turned off, catless or with test pipes, what's then concern about damage to the catalytic converter is a moot point, isn't it? Our motors can only benefit from the zinc.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong) zinc is "sacrificial" and is one of the main factors in determining oil life as it "depletes"

so adding more would in theory increase your oil life but how would you know how much?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Mobil 1, and done.

This is the stuff he recs, and which I am about to start running. Also recomended by a mechanic who worded on the CTS-VR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IFKG0W

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    This is the stuff he recs, and which I am about to start running. Also recomended by a mechanic who worded on the CTS-VR.
    Do you also own a CTS-VR engine? or anything close to it?

No?

Use whatever you want, it will make no measurable difference. Actually, a 40W will make your engine feel more sluggish, and brad-pen is a very heavy 40W oil on top of that.

My tuner, and a lot of other performance LS tuner-builders recommend Brad Penn 10W-40 race oil, which has the same high zinc content of the pre-cat days. If we are all running catted with the rear O2s turned off, catless or with test pipes, what's then concern about damage to the catalytic converter is a moot point, isn't it? Our motors can only benefit from the zinc.
    ZDDP is not the only known anti-wear agent in existence, apart from the fact that it makes absolutely no difference in normal lubricant operation, people like it because it can be seen in cheap UOA's, manufactures like it because it's just plain cheap. That's the only reason it's still in use, because there are multiple other technologies out there that outperform ZDDP use which don't showup on a $35 UOA.

Do you know my engine or how I run it? No. Did you ignore the only obvious conclusion from my above statement-- that an experienced GM mechanic recommended this oil for my actual motor? Yes.

Did you stupidly interpret my statement to imply that I believe Zinc is the only important element in reducing wear? Yes.

Did you get up on the wrong side of bed today? I would hope so. Otherwise you are an ornery, dim-witted jerk that likes to jump to conclusions. I think that is just a great quality in a human being, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Do you know my engine or how I run it? No. Did you ignore the only obvious conclusion from my above statement-- that an experienced GM mechanic recommended this oil for my actual motor? Yes.

Did you stupidly interpret my statement to imply that I believe Zinc is the only important element in reducing wear? Yes.

Did you get up on the wrong side of bed today? I would hope so. Otherwise you are an ornery, dim-witted jerk that likes to jump to conclusions. I think that is just a great quality in a human being, by the way.
    Your bolt on LS has no use relation to a purpose built race-motor. You do not see sustained 6-8K RPM's or 280+ oil temps for 10 hours, you do not have it rebuilt every other race.

If you believe anything relating to his experience with that car applies to you, I have nothing else to comment on, except that you're living in a fantasy.

Damn well I see people get all uppity when people are anal retentive about preventive maintenance. I also change my air filter pretty much every oil change, or clean it if I'm using a reusable element. I always use ZDDP additive in my cars. Never had any issues with any kind of valve train wear. I started a long time ago with my old 55 Chevy and 59 ford pickups both with old flat tappet motors. Then I have been running it in every other car since. It increases the lubricity of the oil and goes a long way to prevent engine wear. Why not put some in? There isn't anything wrong if you don't want to run it. I used sulfer additive in my diesel trucks too. Did it need it? Probably not but the new ultra low sulfer fuels suck for injector pumps. It doesn't lubricate the fuel pump like the older diesel fuel or the off road 'red dye' diesel fuels.

Anyways I just got done with the oil change and used the STP, its seems thicker than i remember the lucas oil additive being but whatever. A lot of places recommend zddp modifiers after cam installations, especially since everyone tosses gigantic lobed cams in their car these days. No I don't have a flat tappet motor... No I don't spin it to 8k every day because the stock tune says so. But I drive the holy **** out of my car when I'm the only one in it. Especially if/when I'm at a track day. I guess its more of a mental band aide than anything. I guess I should have suspected that I'd be needing the flame suit for this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    I guess I should have suspected that I'd be needing the flame suit for this.
    yes... the infamous oil war's lesser known cousin ... the oil additive war
    HAMSTAR likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Question: Has anyone here, NOT using a ZDDP modifier, or high ZDDP oil, ever had any type of engine failure, or excess bearing wear, due directly to inferior lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Question: Has anyone here, NOT using a ZDDP modifier, or high ZDDP oil, ever had any type of engine failure, or excess bearing wear, due directly to inferior lubrication.
    No. Probably not on these cars. But that isn't the point. I don't go trolling other peoples threads. I was seeing if anyone had ever used it, since it was the only one on the shelves the other day. I guess mutual respect is not shown even amongst adults on forums anymore. Seriously the children on the Cobalt forums, I expect it from them. But not from people here. Oh well.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post

yes... the infamous oil war's lesser known cousin ... the oil additive war
    Haha right... Or the gas station war... Oh I use shell by the way... Or chevron. But that pretty much it unless I'm in a desert wasteland and there are only other gas stations. Flame suit on. Now... Protection level 90000000

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.