Surprise, Surprise another Noise thread.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Surprise, Surprise another Noise thread. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have a noise that I need help identifying. When I am over 40 MPH sometimes I hear a whining ...
    Pho_phizzat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Surprise, Surprise another Noise thread.

I have a noise that I need help identifying. When I am over 40 MPH sometimes I hear a whining almost a whistling sound. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the car but I am not sure. It seem to get louder the faster I go. It is not a constant noise. It stops and starts at random while I am going down the highway.

I posted something about it before on ls1tech and they/some of you suggested checking the wheel bearings. I jacked up the car and pushed on the top and bottom of the two front wheels to check for play. I gave her a pretty good shake down. I also checked everything in the front end and couldn't find anything loose. Had a buddy that knows a few things ride with me. He said it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to him.

I am thinking of taking it in the stealership to have it looked at but wanted a last opinion from the experts.

Thanks in advance.

Car is an 05 V with 53,000

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V, 2005 CTS-V for sale
    That's the typical speed range for diff whine.

Re: Surprise, Surprise another Noise thread.

Thanks for your response.

Funny thing is I already have the diff whine in addition to this new sound.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Is it possible for it to be a splash guard or underbody shroud loose? Perhaps sunroof noise?

I checkout out all the sunroof parts seems ok. I ran my hands all over the bottom of the front clip and couldn't find anything loose.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

The trim piece across the top of the windshield has been known to cause noise in the past. The adhesive loosens up over time and either flaps or makes other noise at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    The trim piece across the top of the windshield has been known to cause noise in the past. The adhesive loosens up over time and either flaps or makes other noise at speed.
    Thanks, I will look at this when I get home.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

This is how my driveshaft bad bearing started...intermittent whistling at random speeds, sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side to me (driver), but when I sat in the passenger, sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side. Get under the car and check your play in the center bearing of the driveshaft. Hope it is something else, but be prepared for a $1000+ fix.

Quote Originally Posted by FoD View Post
    This is how my driveshaft bad bearing started...intermittent whistling at random speeds, sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side to me (driver), but when I sat in the passenger, sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side. Get under the car and check your play in the center bearing of the driveshaft. Hope it is something else, but be prepared for a $1000+ fix.

for a drive shaft???

Holy smokes!!!!

Thanks I will check it out.

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by FoD
    This + diff whine sounds like a good excuse for an 8.8 to me lol

PJGross is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Definitely sounds like the drive shaft bearing. I struggled with the whistle for a long time b/c it is hard to localize. Window down and driving next to the median wall on the highway really enhances the noise. I spray lubed the bearing about once every two months. Then I looked closer at the rubber bushing... it was very saggy. There is a really easy fix for the sag.
    If you go to a autoglass shop and pick up a tube of any window urethane, you can fix this very easy. If they'll give you a stick of black primer it would be even better for adhesion. I have a post with pictures of the fix. Essentially jack the car up, then raise the driveshaft to its "normal" position. Clean the inner and outer metal sleeves and "caulk" around the bottom, sides, and top too. Let the whole thing sit for at least 24 hrs to allow 3-4mm deep cure. This will keep your shaft in its normal position, relieve stress on the bearing, and stop your shaft from hitting your exhaust on bumps like mine was. 2 yrs or so and no signs of any issues. Polyurethane is pretty tough stuff.

-PJ

PISNUOFF Guest

The coolant flowing through the heater hose has also been known to cause a 'whistling' sound right aroun those speeds. Without actually hearing the sound itself it's kind of hard I diagnose. All we can do is tell you what has made noises on our cars. Sorry if it's not that much help.

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    Definitely sounds like the drive shaft bearing. I struggled with the whistle for a long time b/c it is hard to localize. Window down and driving next to the median wall on the highway really enhances the noise. I spray lubed the bearing about once every two months. Then I looked closer at the rubber bushing... it was very saggy. There is a really easy fix for the sag.
    If you go to a autoglass shop and pick up a tube of any window urethane, you can fix this very easy. If they'll give you a stick of black primer it would be even better for adhesion. I have a post with pictures of the fix. Essentially jack the car up, then raise the driveshaft to its "normal" position. Clean the inner and outer metal sleeves and "caulk" around the bottom, sides, and top too. Let the whole thing sit for at least 24 hrs to allow 3-4mm deep cure. This will keep your shaft in its normal position, relieve stress on the bearing, and stop your shaft from hitting your exhaust on bumps like mine was. 2 yrs or so and no signs of any issues. Polyurethane is pretty tough stuff.

-PJ
    That is exactly what it seems like it is. I just went on a 500 mile road trip this weekend. It was so random how it would stop and start sometime it would go 30-40 miles then Id hit a bump and it would start again. Then it would be quite and I would go around a corner and it would start again. Do you have a link to your thread? I appreciate it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    The coolant flowing through the heater hose has also been known to cause a 'whistling' sound right aroun those speeds. Without actually hearing the sound itself it's kind of hard I diagnose. All we can do is tell you what has made noises on our cars. Sorry if it's not that much help.
    It is all great help and I appreciate it greatly!!!

PJGross is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

My posted link is the last post in this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...onfirming.html

Seafoam spray is what I use to lube the bearing. Mine went in and out the same, too. sometimes bumps would trigger it, sometimes not. I haven't lubed the bearing in 6 months and it hasn't whistled in a while.

I just noticed I used a 2 component urethane on mine but I work in adhesives and had it on hand. Window Weld just cures from the outside in.

Good luck,
    PJ

----------

Looking back at my thread, I see I was pretty sloppy with the application of adhesive. I didn't drop the Corsa and I was using my finger to wedge adhesive up there. With a caulk gun it would go much smoother and be much more precise. Have at least a 18:1 caulk gun for the window weld. A silicone 6:1 gun will not dispense the adhesive. Note that I did reach up and fill the space above the bearing, too, just so it always was compressing part of the new adhesive.

I believe firming up the rubber bushing puts less stress on the bearing and allows the lube to stay in longer, thus keeping it quiet for longer periods of time between lubing. Until I decide on an 8.8" or 9", I know my carrier and shaft are firmly supported so nothing is getting stressed too much and that bearing will last longer.

My thought is the excessive movement due to deteriorating rubber shortens the life of that bearing dramatically, but that's just my opinion.

So far so good on my V, and I put lots of miles on it annually.

-PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.