ls6 or ls2 cts v?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, ls6 or ls2 cts v? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello all! I just signed up for this site as I am looking into getting rid of my truck and ...
    03cobrarocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None Yet :)

ls6 or ls2 cts v?

Hello all!

I just signed up for this site as I am looking into getting rid of my truck and modded cobra to have one car that is fun and can comfortably fit 3 or 4 people.

I am not really familiar with the lsx world could someone please tell me which one I am better of getting? I can get the 04 with the ls6 considerable cheaper and dont mind doing so if the performance difference is negligible.

I am under the impression that most things are interchangeable between the ls1, ls2, ls3, ls6?

Only other thing is I am really worried about traction in these cars.. It looks like you cant really get a wide tire out back without mini tubbing or getting a wide body.. How is the traction with good tires are this car? Can you get 18x.9.5s to fit on the rear without it poking out too much?

I really dont have big plans for the car right of the bat, defiantly full exhaust, intake and tune. With cam and heads later on but not for awhile.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS-V_07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Traction isn't something I would worry about with these cars it's the wheelhop and the weak diff. There is ways to fix these issues. A 8.8 is almost a must IMO. I like the ls2 that's why I bought a 07 but both engines are great platforms to build off of. I have owned a c6 and two gto and I have to say I love my cts-v.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Re: ls6 or ls2 cts v?

Both engines are equally fast and respond well to mods. I wouldn't say a replacement diff is a must unless you are into drag racing the car. I drive the car fast from time to time and I don't have any traction issues. You just have to realize it isn't meant for hard launches. Tons of info on this subject just read up.

CTS-V_07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    I did says it was a almost must lol...
    carlson_mn likes this.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    The LS6 is 5.7, LS2 is 6.0, they are both cathedral port heads, LS3 has a rectangular port head and are not interchangeable with the LS1,2,6 motor stuff. The power is basically the same in the 2 motors. The LS6 has slightly different valve train componentry. Both have 243 head castings I believe... But the cam and valves are different in the LS6. All in all the LS is a good motor and has good reliability and longevity unless it has been egregiously beat on or maintenance is lacking.

Note: I am like 6'2 and with how far back I have to put the driver's seat, it would be fairly cramped back there. But the only person that rides in the back is my kid in the baby seat so its not a big deal really. Remember it was competition for the older m3 so its about that size (probably a little bigger actually). Good luck in your search. Check the classifieds on here, there are some being sold at pretty reasonable price levels

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V_07 View Post
    Traction isn't something I would worry about with these cars it's the wheelhop and the weak diff. There is ways to fix these issues. A 8.8 is almost a must IMO. I like the ls2 that's why I bought a 07 but both engines are great platforms to build off of. I have owned a c6 and two gto and I have to say I love my cts-v.
    O goody sounds familiar.. I had to swap out my IRS out of my 03 cobra becuase I could not stand the wheel hop... This car wont be taken to the track more then likely, so not sure If I will do that here.

I assume there are braces and bushings that can help protect the differential and help stop wheel hop?

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    General consensus is get the red cradle bushings, blue or red diff bushing from revshift and g force axles. Wheel hop issue fixed....
    However I didn't do axles just diff and cradle bushings and after a track day and many burnouts, very little hop even in rain.

GM4lyfe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Most things are interchangeable. Mod for mod the LS2 will come out ahead because of the extra displacement. Hence the LS2 uses the 01 385hp LS6 cam. The LS2 4.00 inch bore will allow you to use the latest and greatest heads from an L92/LS3. Just depends on your goals. I'm not turn you off of the LS6 its a really good motor.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

When I was looking to get mine I had originally wanted the LS2 because of it slightly larger but owning the LS6 I am very pleased and like some will tell you a more true race motor vs a "truck" motor!

Someone had to say it! HEHEHE

BDV

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    The ls6 is a more rev happy motor and most enthusiast also want it because its more exclusive. Plus the ls2 has it's flaws, it lacks the sodium filled valves and it's TB is considered the worst that GM makes.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by 03cobrarocks View Post

O goody sounds familiar.. I had to swap out my IRS out of my 03 cobra becuase I could not stand the wheel hop... This car wont be taken to the track more then likely, so not sure If I will do that here.

I assume there are braces and bushings that can help protect the differential and help stop wheel hop?
    That 8.8 retains the independent rear setup... Its from a Lincoln mark vii or a t-bird. The V was made for a road course... If you end up getting one, give it a spin, you'll be glad you did. Oh and go on YouTube and look up the videos of the cammed Vs with long tubes and stuff. It doesn't sound any different than a vette or a camaro or any other LS motor... bbbuuuttt its coming from a CADILLAC... That makes it so much note worth it right there.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    The ls6 is a more rev happy motor and most enthusiast also want it because its more exclusive. Plus the ls2 has it's flaws, it lacks the sodium filled valves and it's TB is considered the worst that GM makes.
    Well......not so much more 'rev happy'. Having driven and tuned both with varying mods I can say there isn't much difference in the upper rpms. The LS2 does have more torque in the lower rpms that is noticeable.

The throttle body on the LS2 is electronic versus the drive by wire LS6. It is also 90mm vs the 76mm LS6 and flows more air.

I think you were meaning to say the intake manifold is arguably the worst GM ever released for production. This is true but it's not an order of magnitude worse.

Basically it's a wash between the two motors in the V. If you go with heads and cam in the future then it's really going to depend on what you want to use. Yes, you can't use the stock casting LS3 heads on anything less than a 4.00" bore but there are plenty of heads that make power for the LS6. If you're bent on going with LS3 heads to save money you have to consider that you'll need a rectangular port intake manifold that will suck up any savings you made on the heads. Just buy whatever V you find with the best deal, you'll be happy....after you install GeForce axels at a minimum.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

If I had to do this all over again, I'd get a low mileage 04, swap in an 8.8 and go twin turbo. Be at the same total cost a an 06-07 and FI doesn't care about displacement.

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF

Well......not so much more 'rev happy'. Having driven and tuned both with varying mods I can say there isn't much difference in the upper rpms. The LS2 does have more torque in the lower rpms that is noticeable.

The throttle body on the LS2 is electronic versus the drive by wire LS6. It is also 90mm vs the 76mm LS6 and flows more air.

I think you were meaning to say the intake manifold is arguably the worst GM ever released for production. This is true but it's not an order of magnitude worse.

Basically it's a wash between the two motors in the V. If you go with heads and cam in the future then it's really going to depend on what you want to use. Yes, you can't use the stock casting LS3 heads on anything less than a 4.00" bore but there are plenty of heads that make power for the LS6. If you're bent on going with LS3 heads to save money you have to consider that you'll need a rectangular port intake manifold that will suck up any savings you made on the heads. Just buy whatever V you find with the best deal, you'll be happy....after you install GeForce axels at a minimum.
    So... Is a ls2 TB a good upgrade over the ls6. Will it add power? or is it pointless without a fast intake.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    If I had to do this all over again, I'd get a low mileage 04, swap in an 8.8 and go twin turbo. Be at the same total cost a an 06-07 and FI doesn't care about displacement.
    Heck yea! Love me some turbos!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.