ls6 or ls2 cts v? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, ls6 or ls2 cts v? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by H-town_V So... Is a ls2 TB a good upgrade over the ls6. Will it add power? or ...
    PISNUOFF Guest

Re: ls6 or ls2 cts v?

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    So... Is a ls2 TB a good upgrade over the ls6. Will it add power? or is it pointless without a fast intake.
    The 76mm flows enough for heads/cam/intake/exhaust. Once you start getting into larger displacement then you'd need to consider a larger TB.

GM4lyfe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    The ls6 is a more rev happy motor and most enthusiast also want it because its more exclusive. Plus the ls2 has it's flaws, it lacks the sodium filled valves and it's TB is considered the worst that GM makes.
    I know what you mean between rev happy LS6. LS2 is said to be a lazy motor compared to the LS6 and it is true. They make the same peak power but how they get there is two different animals. The hollow stemed valves allowed GM to squeeze the extra two to three hundred rpms on the top end and kept them cooler. Stock solids are fine. Independent testing has proven that the LS2 intake flows a little worse than the LS6. Its just because GM changed their casting process. Its not enough of a henderance to discourage a buyer. Stock LS2 intakes have been ported.

Long story short OP get whatever you want. there is a laundry list of pros and cons to the LS2/LS6, mods, what have you. It depends on how far you gonna go. If you shop for parts right there is not a big price difference between the two. I've modded LS1s, LS6, LS2s, and LSA motors.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    LS3 heads to save money you have to consider that you'll need a rectangular port intake manifold that will suck up any savings you made on the heads.
    Depends. Between the Corvette, Camaro, Trucks. There are plenty of people doing or has done heads, cam, intake swaps. You can find parts at a reasonable price. The stock LS3 head will flow more than a stock 243 head and some case ported ones too. And they are fairly inexpensive. A set of brand new complete LS3 heads is less than $1K. Seeing how many folks are going with the 92, 102, ect intakes nowadays.

03cobrarocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None Yet :)

Thanks all!

So it seems I should be more concered about getting a low mileage well maintained car than ls2 vs ls6

And if I ever decide to mildly/heavily modify it appears that it wont matter much anyway

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Well maintained is the most important part.
    mackey likes this.

mackey is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Well maintained is the most important part.
    QFT

even a higher mileage one is fine. if i had to do it all over again, i'd get a higher mileage (picked up an 05 with 27k mi bone stock) one but with the mods i wanted to do already in (bushings, suspension, wheels, etc).

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I did heads/cam/102 FAST/TB on my LS6 and it's pretty awesome, but whatever you do you'll just want more. You get to 450HP, you want 550HP. You get to 550, you want 650HP, and so on.

Whatever you get, just fix the wheelhop first. I did a GForce 9" and it rules. But at the very least get their axles.

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V, 2005 CTS-V for sale
    Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I did heads/cam/102 FAST/TB on my LS6 and it's pretty awesome, but whatever you do you'll just want more. You get to 450HP, you want 550HP. You get to 550, you want 650HP, and so on.

Whatever you get, just fix the wheelhop first. I did a GForce 9" and it rules. But at the very least get their axles.
    What did your Mamofied setup get you?

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by pato View Post
    What did your Mamofied setup get you?
    Only got road tune and no dyno yet. I'm guessing 450ish since my 9" will rob some HP.

Bewbzout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): S60R / Impala SS

Not to thread jack but how do you put in a 8.8 in a cadillac?

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewbzout View Post
    Not to thread jack but how do you put in a 8.8 in a cadillac?
    Magic... Like the story about then shoemaker and those elves that filled his shelves one night lololol I kid, I kid

Seriously though: What was happening was that people were turning their differentials into little anti personnel fragmentation mines due to wheel hop. So as is the way with cars, people found a rear end that fit and it was a Ford 8.8 inch. The other advantage to the 8.8 is that you can get it in an independent rear setup already out of a 80s-90s t-bird, Lincoln mark IIV, and a few of the svt mustangs. So as has always been the way with things Ford's rear end is one of the better ones because its cheapish, and its fairly solid and its easily available in a junkyard. So creative steel made mounting gadgetry, spec'd a new driveshaft and new axles (since the lengths of all that changed) and GeForce did all that for the 9" rear end, cuz 9"ers are even better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.