I'm alive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I'm alive in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm starting an electronics design LLC. wish me luck I'm continuing school next semester, to satisfy my GI bill benefit ...
    D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

I'm alive

I'm starting an electronics design LLC. wish me luck

I'm continuing school next semester, to satisfy my GI
    bill benefit requirements, but the classes will be
    electives and super easy so I can concentrate on
    some projects (that have gotten to a point that they
    deserve proper business attention).

the best I can describe it (without a laundry list or
    giving away too much) is: taking things from large
    markets and putting them in other applications.

I don't have money for development, but lucky for
    individuals there is a lot of R&D supported by
    consumer markets, and I don't know if the
    technology has only now become amazing, but
    there is a lot of cross-application for things we
    use all the time.

the applications have a wide range... so the
    best way to house it all is under the umbrella of
    an electronics design co.

these things just... "come to me."

one of them is a V1 nav screen relocate
    and ipad mounting bracket :-D

feel free to troll. anndddd.... go!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: I'm alive

I'll buy one, assuming that it's reasonably priced and doesn't make me give up vehicle functions. GPS navigation is a must. Couldn't give a crap about radio. OBD2-like functionality (basically, an enhanced DIC) would be the killer app for this.
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

tyty o7

there's some ups and downs for that one. the furthest I'd go with it is brackets and maybe include the plug to integrate aux audio and the ipad connector. it would shuffle things around a bit. it might also require removing the 6-disc changer, to more efficiently stack the internals behind the DIC screen.

the face, however, needs to be replicated closely, due to the layout of the buttons and ribbons, and how proprietary it is. so it would mostly involve a housing swap.

but... it's too early to say what it'll involve, or become concerned about the disc changer. but I mean, my feeling is, with an ipad that can sync with your home wifi library when you park in your garage, I think I can live without it. plus it's heavy

as for nav, the iPad that you use would give you all the functions that come with it. it would be mounted where the DIC is now. slightly facing the driver, shrouded from the sun, and vented in the back to prevent overheating. in plastic to match the dash.

most of what I'm doing is mainstream consumer stuff, but the V nav unit is a "thing" of its own

//also: bluetooth; you could run a bluetooth OBDII interface to get some nice engine metrics while driving.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Bluetooth OBD2 is horrible. Been there--never again. I've also done the Kiwi WiFi module. It doesn't turn off when you shut off the engine, draining the battery, and you get updates at about 1 Hz. Too slow.

The 6-disc changer and buttons are disposable. Nobody uses CDs anymore--nobody that would want to buy your device, that is. The only advantage to buttons is that you can blindly grope for them without taking your eyes off the road.
    D3l7a3ch0 and RyRidesMotoX like this.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

I only use my blutooth OBD2 to read/clear codes really. It's alot easier to throw in the glovebox than a laptop and I always have my phone on me. Sounds like a pretty sweet idea, keep us posted.

Side note: alot of the new video systems like DRIFT and GoPro, have Blutooth conectivity. It would be pretty sweet to be able to control all of the cameras (if you had mutiples) with the iPad. Though I would probably prefer a Galaxy tab or other android device since that is what I currently use
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Sounds interesting!!

Staying tuned
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

I appreciate it very much~

nothing I do will be expensive. in fact, I might release DIY schematics and the like. technology changes, things get updated, and I think I'll be sufficiently rewarded with orders from people who don't know how or would rather not source things themselves.

for the sake of development, open source is the way to go
    RyRidesMotoX likes this.

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    I was an audio installer for many years until about two years ago. Evan then this was commonly being done. iPads and other tablets can work great as a screen/radio

What we would do is build a replacement bezel that allows the tablet to easily pop in-and-out and sit as flush as possible.

The easiest way to make it all work is to remote mount a single din radio in say the glove box. (Relocating the wires is easy) with a
    BT radio the tablet can easily communicate to the radio and play clearly in the car. The only frustrating thing about this setup is adjusting the volume, and for that I recommend steering wheel controls that connects to the remote mounted radio.

image-3204387364.jpg

I made this drunk one night.
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

lol i was... nodding my head in agreement, then I read the drunk bit and started laughing.

in the case of a dash modification.. sharing the structure of it is fine, because it still needs to be molded by someone and chances are it's not the person who wants it.

thanks for posting that. I'm sure people will want to know the likelihood of you making another one

I'm thinking the climate controls could be relocated to replace the cup holders. what do you think

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    I wouldn't recommend moving the ac controls to were the cup holders are(that just makes it awkward). If anything the ashtray and cig lighter on these cars are useless so I'd just remount the ac controls were the flip out thing is.
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    I appreciate it very much~

nothing I do will be expensive. in fact, I might release DIY schematics and the like. technology changes, things get updated, and I think I'll be sufficiently rewarded with orders from people who don't know how or would rather not source things themselves.

for the sake of development, open source is the way to go
    Open source is why the Android devs are getting so advanced in their stuff.

I'm sub'd to this thread. Ideally the new microsoft surface with a touch screen and usb ports would come down in price... you might be able to load HP tuners on it (at least the scanner) and run logs, look at graphs, etc while on a dyno or in between runs or whatever. That would make life alot easier because laptops slide around and stuff... then you could export the log to your laptop and tune. I dunno if all that would work but it would be sweet if it could.

sub'd this is going to be a sweet thread
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

shit. no pressure or anything lol

up this week is the registration stuff--everything should go fine, but I might have some disappointment coming, in the way of the domain name I want--the ideal .com is available, but also being ... what's the word... 'squatted' for $1300 according to godaddy

I wish I could say more, but... right now, there is one item in particular that is somewhat of a breakthrough, but the price is still very sensitive to demand. as unlikely as it sounds, the inventor is in one of the former Soviet Union countries and hasn't qualified for a kickstarter.

I'm not interested in building a company out of this thing he's got, though he could. I just need a substantial quantity and I have the feeling he's soldering them by hand. lol.

I'm placing an order for 10, for my own development purposes, but relatively soon I'll need hundreds--I hope he gets something sorted out, or I don't know, maybe I can get the circuit board design, parts list, and code from him--the whole shebang.

I could also have it re-created. one of the necessary controller-chip things is made by Texas Instruments, and I saw some fairly amusing customer service threads where people have inquired about onesie and twosie, one-off solutions and the customer service reps were like, "why would you want to do that?" lol.

this guy... he doesn't know what cross-industry applications he's enabled with this thing he's created. It needs to be mass-produced before the relevant tech becomes outdated...

anyway. I'm up to things like that.

---------------

LOL. just got this email from the domain name holder:

"Dear Sir/Ms,

I'd like for us to close a fair deal. My absolute offer for ######.com is $22,000USD firm.

This is our last and final offer. There is no need for another counter offer if you have different opinion.

We hope we can agree on that amount.

If you agree to this,please log in [escrow dot com] to initiate the transaction.

Think again, and if it's a name you like don't wait too much because I may change my mind."

Wow $22k for a domain name? WTF?!?! That is nuts.
    D3l7a3ch0 likes this.

lol right? made my night. lol

"didn't want that domain name anyway"

Email them back and ask where they are getting that crack they are smoking. I want some, seems like good shit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.