Anybody with a broken center arm rest
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anybody with a broken center arm rest in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well, I just got off the phone with Cadillac customer service. My center console/arm rest broke about two weeks ago ...
    crazyfast is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Black on Beige CTS-V

Angry Anybody with a broken center arm rest

Well, I just got off the phone with Cadillac customer service. My center console/arm rest broke about two weeks ago and they won't cover it under warranty because they say that it isn't a manufacturer's defect. Maybe it isn't but it is at best a crappy engineering concept to have a free hanging arm rest made of plastic that is paper thin. I am going to take this as far up the chain as I have to...even on to the BBB if necessary. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem as they are telling me it is just me. Strange, since my dealership has already seen two. Of course, that is also the same service manager that told them it isn't a manufacturer's defect and not a warranty issue . I guess I am the only one who thinks bumper to bumper means bumper to bumper.

The only way I can figure it broke is by me leaning on it getting in and out of the car. Nothing extraordinary. Let me know if you have had this problem too. It might help me to mount a case.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Anybody with a broken center arm rest

Mine broke just as yours, and was repaired/replaced by the dealer, no questions ask, under warranty

StopLtRacr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had a rattle in mine a few months ago and took it in to the dealer. They found an attach screw that was left inside the armrest and never installed. They removed it assuming that it was an extra screw. A month later the armrest broke and I looked at it and saw that the extra screw was actually a screw that was supposed to be installed and wasn't. They fixed it under warranty.

So, it seems that some dealers/service centers are better than others. My only concern now is that my service manager has dug me into a whole larger than I can dig myself out of.

I am 24 years old, just out of college and bought myself the V after working my a$$ off in college and landing my first real job, software engineer for a defense company in the area. I would think that Cadillac would want to maintain those "younger" customers that they are trying so hard to appeal to right now. So far, they have shown me little less than the fact that they could really not give a crap.

By the way, this is my first thread and I have had my V since July. I live in Roseville and work in Sac. I have seen three more Vs in my area since I moved here in September. One other caught me on 80 the other night in Sac and we stuck with each other until Roseville. Say hello if you are also on this thread.

homer403 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

You should really try taking it to another dealer, remember their all independent. I had something similar and the dealer you take it to really makes a difference, one would give you crap and the other would fix it no question asked.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Whats broken about it?

Did you try "fixing it yourself"?
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/armrest.html

Also, I will post the service manual for adjusting it at some point soon.

Thanks Homer. My next step is to go tomorrow and make the service manager's life hell that got me into this situation. If he still doesn't want to help me out, I will go see another one and quit doing business with him and his service department. As far as I know, any GM dealer or service center can help me out and there is a huge Automall right by my apartment.

If that gets me nowhere, I already stated that I will go to the BBB auto line.

If nobody elses has broken yet, be careful and don't lean on it at all. Apparently, it is for aesthetic purposes only and not to be used . In all, I think it is a horrible engineering concept and will probably eventually be recalled, especially if they have to replace them every six months.

Reed,

It isn't just "loose". There are two holes in the plastic on the bottom of it and it is loosly hanging down, not horizontal like it should be. It is honestly broken. If you put any pressure on it, apparently it breaks right through the paper thin plastic bottom of the thing.

I already had the "screw falling out" issue within a month. That was fixed and now this has happened.

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Mine broke, fixed under warranty without a question being asked.

Shane

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I leaned too heavilly on the armrest of my '05 V and broke it within a month of purchase. The hinges broke and the plastic underside cracked. I have never had that experience before with any car, but I have also never seen a cheaper armrest than the standard issue V model.

Rather than get it replaced under warranty, I bought the standard CTS armrest as the replacement. It is stronger and has an enclosed storage area. It is a big improvement over the V armrest.

If I have to replace the thing myself instead of having Cadillac stand behind their product, I will probably go the same route as Crowan. However, does anyone know if the standard CTS arm rest is of any better quality than the V one?? I know it would be higher than the stock one and not allow to shift as easily, but I am not so much worried about that. I just don't want to have to replace the part every six months.

In all honesty, it looks like this really is a part that should be recalled and upgraded to something of higher quality. Does anyone know who I should contact to get a recall in the works?? Should I just go through the BBB?? Or, is there someone within Cadillac that will actually do something other than tell me, "well I haved pushed it as far up the chain within Cadillac as it can go and basically we just don't stand behind our products"?? I have heard before that Cadillac skimped when it came to trim options to save money, but I really thought they were trying to turn their image around.

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The CTS armrest is stronger than the V model because there is more material involved in the manufacture of the piece but it will not set any standards for quality. However, compared to the cheesey V piece, it is a work of military quality. I don't live in daily fear of breaking it if I put the slightest pressure on it.

It is a bit higher than the standard V armrest but I find that it make shifting more comfortable. My hand falls on the shifter at a more natural angle.

Rachane is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down Re: Anybody with a broken center arm rest

The problem is not only the "unbraced" design of the V-armrest, but also the gymnastics of entering the car, which practically forces one to lean on something with the right forearm or elbow to avoid pratfalling into the front seat. A ceiling grab-bar over the door would have helped somewhat.

I have avoided damaging the front of the center armrest by gripping the back of it (where the hinge is) whilst entering, but this is still awkward. That's an interesting idea about replacing the unit with a regular CTS one, and I may do that if it doesn't interfere with the gear lever.

SBONES is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's

mine is crap or cracked too. I put a cd case in back off the bin to raise it alittle its better. try this, i think it will help. slide the cd in back then lower the armrest onto it. put the cd sideways, its nice...good luck...

p s theres alittle edge in the back of bin under armrest, prop it up there..

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Please, keep them coming. Honestly, this looks like a genuine problem with this car. Anyone know who to contact about starting the works for a recall? I feel like even if Cadillac does replace this for me, I will be right back into the dealership in six months getting it fixed again.

I payed $50k for a car in which I can't even use the arm rest without having to buy myself a new one. That is lousy engineering, poor customer satisfaction, and something Cadillac needs to be pinned up against a corner for.

Once again, thanks everyone who has already responded. Please, keep them coming.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.