Clunk when slowing down in 3rd
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Clunk when slowing down in 3rd in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; When i brake in 3rd gear and it gets to around 1500 rpms, there is a clunk noise. It sounds ...
    badnews338 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Clunk when slowing down in 3rd

When i brake in 3rd gear and it gets to around 1500 rpms, there is a clunk noise. It sounds like i ran over a soda can or something. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Re: Clunk when slowing down in 3rd

That's a pretty vague question to answer. Search and read some of the previous discussions. There are a lot of things that can clunk in this car.

If you want more help identifying your specific issue we're going to need more information.

Where does it sound like it is coming from?
    Is it right when you let off the gas?
    Is it really only in 3rd gear, or is that just when you happen to notice? A specific gear would indicate the transmission.
    What is the condition of your car? mileage? track days? autox? all stock?

As a shot in the dark. If you have motor mounts or differential bushings with more than 20k miles on them they probably need to be replaced.

ya sorry for the vagueness. It's definitely drivetrain related. I've 150k miles on the car, but the transmission is almost brand new on the inside. I just got it out of the shop yesterday for a broken synchro. the synchro was brand new too when it broke. i'm sick of taking it in, even though they cover it with warrantee because its my DD. And i haven't noticed the clunk except in 3rd gear and slowing down. the clunk kind of sounds/feels like if you were to just pull it out of gear without the clutch, it makes a clunk, and the car jerked. i felt it when i went to work this morning, and then when i went for lunch.

If I just paid someone to open up and work on a trans and I then had a jerk/clunk in one specific gear I would be talking to the shop that did the work.

I would assume the two are related.

well, its been in and out of the trans shop 2wice. Both times they had it for over a month. they are tough to work with and its all i've got because they cover the warrantee. I could easily take it back and have them pull it all apart again, but if anyone on here didn't think it was necessarily transmission related, i'd like to try and do something myself first. Sometimes free just isn't worth the hassle.

If you want to avoid going back to the trans shop again then you need to get under the car and rule out all the other possibilities.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.