Front End link and sway bar bushings need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Front End link and sway bar bushings need help in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; OK so i got a clunk in the front. Cheap fix is that the front sway bar bushings or front ...
    odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Front End link and sway bar bushings need help

OK so i got a clunk in the front. Cheap fix is that the front sway bar bushings or front end links are shot. Driver side. Stock car. I have new stock parts. Need to know if i can just jack up each side one at a time to replace each item or do i need to have it on ramps? If i have it on ramps is it OK to just have the front on ramps or do i need all four on ramps? Can i have the front on ramps and the back on stands?

Btw i did do a search and only found info on adjustable end link installation? I did find the torque for the end link and bushing bracket. The frame bracket bolts recommended torque is 44 ft/lbs and the end link nuts recommended torque is 37 ft/lbs.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
    TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Re: Front End link and sway bar bushings need help

When I did my bushings last month I put each side of front on jack stands. I could be wrong but just jacking one end up will put tension on the bar and may make it hard to put the bracket back down over the bar, though I haven't tried it that way. Replacing the bushings fixed my dull thunk noise over bumps at low speeds. My endlinks are tight with no movement in them at 100k. Although my bushings were worn they weren't terrible, no daylight or anything seen through them, but it absolutely fixed the sound and the car feels better at low speeds.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

So you had the wheels off and placed the stands on under the car?

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

The front sway bushings are a terrible weakness, in my opinion. I've tried many, many energy suspension bushings on stock and hotchkiss sways and within a few hundred miles, I can always see space between the bushing and the sway. I live with the front clunk. Only thing I haven't tried are the hotchkiss reinforced brackets...

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    So you had the wheels off and placed the stands on under the car?
    I kept the wheel on but it would be a bit easier to work on with it off. One of the two bolts is annoying with hand tools because there is limited space for a ratchet, i.e. an air tool would come in real handy to speed the process up. Overall it was not hard though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.