Gen 1 V as a modded Daily/ high modded in the future - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Gen 1 V as a modded Daily/ high modded in the future in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Mine is a DD and other than doing things I want to do to it and general maintenance like oil ...
    BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Re: Gen 1 V as a modded Daily/ high modded in the future

Mine is a DD and other than doing things I want to do to it and general maintenance like oil changes and plugs and wires like stuff I have been al smiles with mine and with simple bolts on so far I am getting like 26mpg on the highway at 70!

BDV

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

As a parent, I wouldn't want my 16 y o driving a V or an EVO.

But if you are, it'll be fine as a daily. I do. $ for gas and tires goes fast.

If you're going to drive in the winter, you need A/S or winter tires up front too not just the rear unless stopping and turning is overrated.

franzcars is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet. Past, Fleetwood 75 (Dads)

Any reasons besides the power? Because I drove my dads built Grand National a ton, his GTR more and some of our buddies with fast cars

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by franzcars View Post
    Any reasons besides the power? Because I drove my dads built Grand National a ton, his GTR more and some of our buddies with fast cars
    Nope... that's pretty much the reason, lol. When I was 16 I was the same as you and I wouldn't want myself having a V then either. Had a couple 250cc bikes at age 15/16 and then a 5sp Maxima and that thing was already trouble with 190hp / 3000lbs.

I don't think any of this would have clicked to me as a 16yr old but here's how it goes:

Gets a relatively affordable 400hp car... spins out hits wall one week later, $4200 in damage... fixes... gets ticket for 101 in a 55 next week, loses license for 6 months and is charged with wreckless driving... insurance hits rate of 5500/year and you can't afford to drive it anymore... but you do anyways with cheaper liability insurance and then more bad things happen.... get in another accident and replace front bumper with cheaper non-V bumper... etc etc etc.

Of course that only happens to *other* 16 yr olds...

But yea once again it is a reliable DD!

franzcars is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet. Past, Fleetwood 75 (Dads)

Think I might take your guys's advicce and just get a lower hp commuter car and get a V in the future when I'd have a good enough job incase repairs were needed

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

I saved up and bought a 98 WS6 right out of high school, loved it....Spent all kinds of money on it, and mods...I had a sweet 414 whp nice sounding beast and some credit card debt. Not too bad so far?

Started working less and school more, so I had a commuter car to get me there 90% and the beast the other 10% (save on gas!!), this plus with moving around the city lead to all my stuff including my beast in a storage unit. Another few seasons go by it then leads to a once a month type car (with a couple of speeding tickets). Finally I reduced the insurance in the winter to liability. You can see where this is going

Snow cleared for 1 day, I hit the streets -- Later that night I was smashin' a little more than I should've been and hit a gravel spot in turn at about 50-60 and probably pullin' 1G. Found the biggest boulder I could lol straight to the bottom core support.

I was straight F'd -- Lost my license, got screwed on insurance.....Got a job in Cali, moved it with me -- Lost job a year later after and was forced to sell it to pay mortgage...

IF! I could do it all over again, I probably would've wished I waited a few more years before buying an addictive / expensive car.... But then again, I loved every minute with it and have sure learned a lot on how stupid I was..life goes on....

I then spent 4 years recovering and now I am back in a LS (06 V) -- Hope the outcome ends better

seeyouinajif is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    Mine is a DD and other than doing things I want to do to it and general maintenance like oil changes and plugs and wires like stuff I have been al smiles with mine and with simple bolts on so far I am getting like 26mpg on the highway at 70!

BDV
    How the F are you getting 26 mpg? If I look at instant fuel economy on the dash at 70 I can't get over 23.

I daily mine, I drive 30k/ year. Get 18mpg actual. Haven't tried snow yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by seeyouinajif

How the F are you getting 26 mpg? If I look at instant fuel economy on the dash at 70 I can't get over 23.

I daily mine, I drive 30k/ year. Get 18mpg actual. Haven't tried snow yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    I get about 17. Not long trips on the freeway are closer to 23 I think. Get around 28 in 6th gear doin like 50 on flat ground tho lol

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Mpg is more than just how you drive it... If you roll around with Michelin cup super sports or whatever they are that are basically slicks with tread grooves, you are going to get less mpg than say a 9million treadwear rated tire that they put on a Prius to go straight down the freeway with no rolling resistance.

400hp car, I'm not ashamed that I get about 23mpg on the highway... Hell my cobalt barely did better than that with all its mods to get it to over 400hp. Hell... On ethanol, cruising the cobalt at 70mph was under 20mpg... Course gearing had some to do with that as well, and running ethanol sucks for fuel economy... And tire selection, Hankook R-S3 tires are pretty grippy.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

My plan around my sophomore year of college was to get a V when I graduated and got my commission in the Air Force. I did that. That said, it was six years ago that I graduated, so if you take that route, there might be 'better' cars by then. Still, I still love my V after having it this long and it's still near stock power levels.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

I am not sure how I am getting that good but I do. Hehe. I have the corsa exhaust and I did the homemade trashcan intake I found on here somewhere with an open cone filter found out I have an under drive pulley on there and am running a custom tune through a Diablosport tuner! She still screams and when I baby her I have gotten a little over 19 in the city if I hit the lights just right and don't have to stop much! My youngest daughter does love it when I put the pedal to the floor too! She is 2!

BDV

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I'd get 25 all day long at 75mph...

Johnny-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cts-v
    Quote Originally Posted by franzcars
    I would get something more reasonable, but I like to stand out a bit and not drive something everyone else does. Dont see many teens rocking V's
    I'm 18 with an 04 V. I was the same way with wanting something no one else had. You just can't be stupid and respect the car.

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-V

I'm 18 with an 04 V. I was the same way with wanting something no one else had. You just can't be stupid and respect the car.
    That's the truth. I did a full 360 through a grass median on the freeway and I was lucky to only have to replace a wheel hub... You can get yourself in trouble fast

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

My V has been very reliable. I dont think this was an issue at all with the V. And my V was great in the winters.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.