Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Can Tire Pressure Monitors Be Adjusted?

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  2004ctsv 
#1 ·
As benjet pointed out, if you go with the F1 GS-D3s with rec pressure of 35 psi, the tire pressure monitors become useless as soon as they heat up and you get to about 42 psi.

Is there some way that the monitors can be adjusted so that the upper--and lower-ranges can be changed?

#2 ·
From what I understand you will probably need a tech II to do this (if it is posible). I remember the one-lap of america guys had this problem the whole time. The TPS system what beeping the entire race at them and it prevented them from going into Competition mode or turning off the TC.

I will check the SM though.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

#5 ·
Commercially available tuning software packages only adjust the powertrain control module and don't have read/write capability for the body control module which is where the TPS information is most likely stored.

A dealer service tool such as a Tech II might be able to do it. :hmm:

#6 ·
What would happen if you ran nitrogen in the tires? Does it expand as much as air when heated?

A local chanel here ran a news report about Costco filling everyones tires with nitrogen instead of air. I does not contain as much moisture as air and is supposed to ad to the life of the tire.

#7 ·
The air we breathe and also traditionally put into tires is already 78% (IMMIC) nitrogen.

Increasing the nitrogen level closer to %100 would help but may not be enough.

The higher the tire pressure when cold, the less heat build up in the tire and resultant increase in pressure. That is why Cadillac recommends the higher pressure for high speeds. I'd try a cold pressure reading around 37-38 to keep from activating the 42 PSI alarm.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Dreamin said:
It's not the O2 or N2 that increases the tire pressure when heated... its the water vapor. When putting "nitrogen" in tires, you're getting "dried" N2... no water vapor... which make a big difference... 1-2psi swing instead of the 8-10 psi swing with air.
There ya go. Your solution is nitrogen. I'm going to see if I can get a tank of it or get one of my air tanks filled with it.

Lance

#11 ·
Dreamin said:
It's not the O2 or N2 that increases the tire pressure when heated... its the water vapor. When putting "nitrogen" in tires, you're getting "dried" N2... no water vapor... which make a big difference... 1-2psi swing instead of the 8-10 psi swing with air.
hmmm have to try that next, I hit the 42 level 2-3 times per week, esp with passengers/cargo (more weight), and freeway speeds.

#12 ·
Dreamin said:
How does that work? I hope you have a water trap on you compressor.

Tony

#13 ·
The key is relatively dry inert gas of any type. At constant pressure, most gases will expand and contract proportional to the temperature change per the ideal gas law (PV=nRT) including water vapor as long as it isn't present in large concentrations. If there is a lot of water vapor the problem will be condensation at low ambient temps which removes some of it from the gas phase. At constant volume (in a tire) this lowers the pressure more than just gas phase contraction would as the temp drops.

This is what might cause the large pressure swings as the tire heats up with driving since the condensed water would re-vaporize and add to the number of moles of gas (n in the equation). The gas pressure would go up more than that just attributed to the temp rise in the equation.

Bottom line: use dry air or nitrogen from a compressor system that has at least a dessicant dryer upstream of the receiver. Or dry bottled gas.
:thumbsup:

#14 ·
The trick is cool (room temp or less) air. You only get into trouble with compressors that have small receivers and send hot humid air into your tires.

I started writing a thesis here to explain but it got too long so I erased it. I did convince myself that with wet air and pressure leakage from the tires that you could have a potential problem with condensate in the tire giving greater than expected pressure rise when the tires get hot. And that's long winded enough.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.