04 V or new Camaro SS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 04 V or new Camaro SS? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I Love my V but....while I Was on my honeymoon in California I rented a convertible Camaro SS and was ...
    Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS

04 V or new Camaro SS?

I Love my V but....while I Was on my honeymoon in California I rented a convertible Camaro SS and was seduced by the newness of it (along with the convertible aspect, comparable power and lack of clunks and various V1 issues)

If I remember correctly a couple V owners jumped to the new Camaro platform just curious if anyone has any insights on the new Camaro vs V1? After my time in the rental it doesn't have the same feel as the V Andre Camaro feels larger some how? But power seems similar and the handling was good but was missing the V feel... I appreciate any insights my fellow V owners may have

Aft

car

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chris Cornett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Platinum Mist
    I had the same dilema before I bought my 07 in December. The Camaro is a moving blind spot and you see one about every 2 minutes. I like to be different so I went with the V. Plus the insurance on the Camaro is a more.

LasCruces-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005CTS-V, 2006 CTS

Re: 04 V or new Camaro SS?

I have a 05 V as well as a 10 SS. Both cars are a blast to drive. Although I have way more invested into the V I think its a pretty close comparison. It really depends on what your plans are. Frankly both cars are poor choices for a drag car. I literally just snapped my left axle a month ago at the strip on the V. Fixed it and last friday I snapped the right axle. Im dreading whats gonna break on the SS when I finally take it to the track. If your looking for handling I honestly think the V handles great for the size. The SS however has lots of body roll. Feels like a boat imo. Parts are a whole lot less and easier to find for the SS as well. All in all the V is my choice for the days I feel froggy. Its unique. Dare to be different. Plus itll fit 4 a hell of a lot more comfy than the SS!

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

I can't get past the dash/cluster design on the Camaro's. They look nice from the outside but the inside kills it. I would keep the V based on the four doors and rarity of the car. I would go with a coyote mustang over the camaro.

trucker922 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just have never really been a fan of the new camaro. I just feel that they are over styled, if that makes sense. I feel like they are more of a girls car. I absolutely hate the interior, and that blind spot is a damn joke. Plus they don't handle very well at all. I did however drive a new 5.0 mustang, and that thing was a lot of fun to drive! As much as I hate to say it, it's a much better car...imo

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Figure out how much the SS would cost you on top of the V and take that money and put it into freshening up the V.

I'll just guess your V is worth 15k that means you are going to need to pay or finance another 20k to get into a new SS. If you spent even half of that difference on the V it would feel like a completely new car.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    I'd take a V1 over a Camaro because it's not as common and has more of a "cool" factor... To me Camaros are way overrated and most people don't even tastefully mod them...

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Man I really wanted the new camaro to be an awesome car... I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted it to be awesome. Then I went and test drove one... Gotta say I was really disappointed. I felt like I was driving a submarine. The side windows are horrible. Who cares? Well when 90% of your driving is avoiding the morons you share the road with (driving here in California) you want to see well. Also it just seemed weird to me... Like it was trying so hard to be retro. I get it but not my thing, I want nicer stuff inside. Also I like the motor and stuff but the car seems a little heavy. I actually ended up buying a cobalt SS instead of a Camaro SS... The cobalt handled better and was way more fun to drive. I should have bought the V when I got the cobalt but I didn't. I would get a cobalt SS over a camaro ss again. The cobalt is a wicked little car that can make TONS of power. And its super limited production which I always seem to gravitate over to. Also did anyone else fell that the seating position was awkward? I'm 6'2 and about 200lbs... And it seemed cramped to me for some reason. The smaller cobalt seemed bigger I actually didn't have the seats all the way back in the cobalt... If I did have the seat all the way back I couldn't reach the pedals.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

It's summer and with topdown...SS>V1 for cruising. Unfortunately with the top up on the SS it has many blind spots. For my height and build, 5'9" 165lbs...I found the seating uncomfortable. It's a sharp looking car but around here even in Birmingham AL...they are a dime a dozen! At the fuel pumps I usually get a thumbs up or a nod fueling up the V. I even had a guy roll down his window and shout out "I LOVE YOUR V"!!! when passing through town the other day.

But...it is summer and a convertible is super nice cruising on the back roads, top down.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Thanks for the input guys! It's funny to see my same thoughts come from others... The V is more special it's was a dream car for me I remember going to the local dealer and drooling back in 04! The wife fell in love with the convertible aspect (being in Northern California sure helped) and even though it is common I love the looks of the car they always look bad ass. The only real complaints I had with the SS are the gauges(they were almost useless) but the heads up display was great! And the automatic transmission was just plain boring... The blind spots are bad but my V is a summer car so with a convertible I would drive topless as much as possible. Thanks for confirming my thoughts and offering input. The added cost is really the biggest issue so I better save my pennies so I can have both!!

----------

And one more side note...

I couldn't bring myself to,drive a mustang ... Unless it was free or something I am a GM guys so that isn't an option

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I have a lot of experience in All three of the cars mentioned. On and off track. V, SS, Stang 5.0. All good cars. All modified and Experience in all of them in stock form. I would still choose the v. Glad i was able to drive all three but more glad i own a V.

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    I just think getting a convertible is usually an impulse kinda buy. Most convertibles are built as sort of a afterthought and just aren't made as well. A hard top is almost always gonna Handle better and it will stand up to the weather better over the years. I don't see why gm isn't making a T-top or a targa camaro.

My ex girl had a v6 camaro so I cant chime in about the ss(although I test drove several) but IMO the new camaro is the worst ergonomically built car in current production.

Plus if you have a new camaro your eventually gonna be sitting at a stop light when a yellow(bumblebee) camaro with transformer badges pulls up next to you... And that's just sad.

Ny's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cts-V
    ----------

I couldn't bring myself to,drive a mustang ... Unless it was free or something I am a GM guys so that isn't an option[/QUOTE]

Good Man!!

Since I was able to purchase my first
    car outta high school, I have never and will never own anything else other than GM thats 8 cars later and 4 are still in the driveway. I even Flipped the wife while she was just the girlfriend....And I feel the same as the rest of the guys about the new Maro.. i have owned 3 and the new one is overrated.. i still own 1 my fave the one That has me where i am now in my taste of Fast cars.. a 89 1/2 IrocZ on stock 16s with a Paxton S/c.. that car gives me a hard on just like my V does.. the only Reason the V gets more road time is that the Iroc has that... this f:%ker must be up to something, and there go the flashing lights.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Ny's Caddy View Post
    a 89 1/2 IrocZ on stock 16s with a Paxton S/c.. that car gives me a hard on just like my V does.. the only Reason the V gets more road time is that the Iroc has that... this f:%ker must be up to something, and there go the flashing lights.
    LOL that's the way it is. Is it black? Seems that most of the time that sets them off. That sinister look.

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny's Caddy
    ----------

I couldn't bring myself to,drive a mustang ... Unless it was free or something I am a GM guys so that isn't an option
    Good Man!!

Since I was able to purchase my first
    car outta high school, I have never and will never own anything else other than GM thats 8 cars later and 4 are still in the driveway. I even Flipped the wife while she was just the girlfriend....And I feel the same as the rest of the guys about the new Maro.. i have owned 3 and the new one is overrated.. i still own 1 my fave the one That has me where i am now in my taste of Fast cars.. a 89 1/2 IrocZ on stock 16s with a Paxton S/c.. that car gives me a hard on just like my V does.. the only Reason the V gets more road time is that the Iroc has that... this f:%ker must be up to something, and there go the flashing lights.[/QUOTE]

-------------

I appreciate your loyalty to GM products, but you shouldn't be so close minded towards other brands/manufactures. There are lots of good cars out there packaged under different names that aren't owned by gm.

Plus GM has made some horrible cars over the years and it's hard to deny the new mustang isn't better than the camaro(in almost every way).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.