Vibration / noise at certain RPM
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Vibration / noise at certain RPM in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have started to get a vibration and a humming sound that starts at about 2100RPM. It doesnt follow speed ...
    av8erdunn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Vibration / noise at certain RPM

I have started to get a vibration and a humming sound that starts at about 2100RPM. It doesnt follow speed I dont think because it does it in any gear. Its odd because if I am cruising at 75 around 2300-2500 RPM it will constantly do it until I let of the thottle; then it quits. But once I apply throttle again it starts right back. Its like under a loaded condition is the only time it happens. It gradually gets louder and a little worse vibration as RPM increases but I think it finally gets to a certain frequency then it just maintains that frequency.
    Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Do you have the stock clutch? Any mods? Stock mounts?

Re: Vibration / noise at certain RPM

Its the stock clutch, and my motor mounts were just replaced with new OEM mounts. Only mods are a corsa exhaust coupled to Kooks headers and cats and a custom tune.
    moarofthis likes this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I was thinking mounts, too, until I saw that last post.

If it's not exhaust related (where the flow is related to load or throttle position but doesn't fit the "vibration" described above), I'm wondering what else it could be if it's not related to anything downstream of the flywheel (since it "doesn't follow speed").

Anybody else?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post
    I have started to get a vibration and a humming sound that starts at about 2100RPM. It doesnt follow speed I dont think because it does it in any gear. Its odd because if I am cruising at 75 around 2300-2500 RPM it will constantly do it until I let of the thottle; then it quits. But once I apply throttle again it starts right back. Its like under a loaded condition is the only time it happens. It gradually gets louder and a little worse vibration as RPM increases but I think it finally gets to a certain frequency then it just maintains that frequency.
    Any ideas?
    Hello av8erdunn,

I see you have gotten some advice from other members on here. Have you been able to find the cause of this vibration and humming sound? If you want to further discuss your concern and are thinking about taking it in for a diagnosis, private message me so we can continue our interaction.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

LS6Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Have you checked your transmission mount?

I have not looked at it but I have had a bad transmission mount before and i could punch the throttle and let off quickly and I would get a BANG, this one didnt do that. I will look this afternoon though.

LS6Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I've had cars do that too, but usually more so when there is a ripped top-mount type. With these bottom mount ones, the seem to fail differently. i just replaced a bad one and it sounded IDENTICAL to a bad input bearing issue, there was a knock with every input shaft RPM. Now it's gone, smooth as butter.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post
    ...a humming sound that starts at about 2100RPM. It doesnt follow speed I dont think because it does it in any gear. Its odd because if I am cruising at 75 around 2300-2500 RPM it will constantly do it until I let of the thottle; then it quits. But once I apply throttle again it starts right back.
    These quoted words, viewed alone, would be a description of the infamous differential whine. Whether it is a "whine" or a "hum" could be a matter of semantics. The differential whine can be initiated and ended with light on/off application of throttle particularly at cruising speeds.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

OP, is the sound coming from the motor area or from the rear end? Can you tell?

As darkman points out, a "whining" sound would indicate your diff. Mine whines/hums a bit, but doesn't vibrate.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ImEpayne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

I've got the same issue in my '06. mine is definitely a vibration at the same rpm's regardless of speed. Now I know I need to do my Harmonic Balancer. I've been under the assumption that this is the cause of the vibration.

Let us know what you figure out.

Can't really tell where its coming from. If it was diff whine, would it have not been there in the morning but there in the afternoon? Would it also cause a vibration? But then again it was doing it at the same rpm in second as it was in fifth. Very odd!!!!!!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ImEpayne View Post
    I've got the same issue in my '06. mine is definitely a vibration at the same rpm's regardless of speed. Now I know I need to do my Harmonic Balancer. I've been under the assumption that this is the cause of the vibration.

How do you know you need to change your harmonic balanced?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The differential whine is not accompanied by vibration. If the issue varies with engine rpm as opposed to road speed, it presumably is an issue upstream of the transmission.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Mine has a similar whine issue ... Fold down the rear seat or armrest to make sure the whine or hum is the diff it should be much louder and noticeably from the rear of the car. I ignore the noise as I assume it's the notorious whine... Or normal...lol

Good luck with the vibration I had one similar to what you describe and when I replaced my tires it went away almost all the time... (It was so bad I avoided highways for quite some time) rebalancing your wheels is a possible inexpensive solution if you have some miles on your tires...

When the vibration does come back I can usually down shift to 5th or play with the throttle to get the drivetrain to adjust to a smooth place again. Not sure of a solution yet as I haven't had much time to address the issue but I have found ways to make it tolerable

Keep us posted!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ImEpayne View Post

Hello ImEpayne,

I apologize that you are experiencing the same issue with your CTS-V. Have you taken your vehicle to the dealership to have it diagnosed? If you would like our assistance in working with the dealership as well regarding this issue, please private message us. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.