Free OEM clutch/flywheel setup or Monster (not free)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By RyRidesMotoX
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Free OEM clutch/flywheel setup or Monster (not free) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi all, I am positive my flywheel has failed on my 05 V, good thing is I am still under ...
    ctsVr4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V

Free OEM clutch/flywheel setup or Monster (not free)

Hi all,

I am positive my flywheel has failed on my 05 V, good thing is I am still under warranty. It kind of crept up on me gradually and I really noticed how terrible it is when I drove my son's 05 V. Is it worth the hassle of trying to convince the dealer/shop to tear into the car and replace everything with OEM under warranty, or is the difference from a Monster (looking @ stage 2, 18lbs) worth it to go ahead and spring for that?

I've got ~1k miles and a few months left on the warranty and plan to start modding once that expires (~500hp and staying n/a is the goal).

Wishful thinking would be for them to confirm it is bad, and have them replace it with a Monster (likely cheaper, and worth a shot since it's a 3rd party warranty?).

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Just my personal experience with warranties here... This should not be considered the rule whatsoever... A clutch is usually considered a "wear item" like brake pads. If the clutch/flywheel goes bad they usually won't replace it unless it suffers a catastrophic failure like the friction material breaks off or the flywheel cracks or something weird like that. I wouldn't count on them replacing it under warranty. And if you take it to a dealer they are just gonna charge you out the ass to look at it and then tell you its not covered. In my humble opinion, skip the dealer and toss in something aftermarket.
    brngrhd and brngrhd like this.

Re: Free OEM clutch/flywheel setup or Monster (not free)

I understand the clutch being a wear item but don't expect the dual mass flywheel to be one, or it shouldn't be anyway. I wouldn't mind paying for a replacement clutch if it came to it, but wouldn't expect it right of the bat if they had everything apart to replace the flywheel under warranty.

I'm simply curious if the upgraded clutch/flywheel combo is worth it as it seems that (from what I have read, anyway) most people don't upgrade until they have to/the stock flywheel has failed.

What kind of symptoms are you getting from the car?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

My experience was the dealer said they would install the parts I supplied under warranty as they don't give a crap, but the dealer also said not to bother with anymore warranty claims in that area.

They have to replace the warranty part, which they did and they gave me the new parts as they had no use for them.

I doubt they will cover the clutch under warranty or any part of it.

If they do, you scored.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    What kind of symptoms are you getting from the car?
    Vibration from the motor that gets better or worse based on RPM (not vehicle speed). It's at it's worst around 2300 RPM, more noticeable when revving while the car is not moving. I don't notice it as much when I get on it, but while commuting it's bad enough to create a constant rattle if I have anything loose laying in the cupholders. Bad shake when shutting the car down. I know some of this is normal, but there is no comparison to my sons, also stock, '05 V. Motor mounts seem OK.

Have you checked the harmonic balancer? I think that would go bad before a flywheel would honestly. Might wanna check that first... Its easy to get to, not as bad to replace and I think that would for sure be covered under a power train warranty.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsVr4 View Post
    Hi all,

I am positive my flywheel has failed on my 05 V, good thing is I am still under warranty. It kind of crept up on me gradually and I really noticed how terrible it is when I drove my son's 05 V. Is it worth the hassle of trying to convince the dealer/shop to tear into the car and replace everything with OEM under warranty, or is the difference from a Monster (looking @ stage 2, 18lbs) worth it to go ahead and spring for that?

I've got ~1k miles and a few months left on the warranty and plan to start modding once that expires (~500hp and staying n/a is the goal).

Wishful thinking would be for them to confirm it is bad, and have them replace it with a Monster (likely cheaper, and worth a shot since it's a 3rd party warranty?).

Thanks
    Hello ctsVr4,

I see you have reservations about taking your vehicle to the dealership to get your flywheel looked at. In my experience of talking to some of the dealerships, if you are still in warranty, then some dealerships waive the diagnosis fee. This could just be for bumper to bumper warranty though. If you private messaged me you name, contact info, VIN, mileage, info about the warranty you are mentioning, and dealership you would like to work with, I would be more than happy to contact them and inquire about what they would charge to look at it and see if they would have any insight on if it would be considered a wear item or not. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.