Strange sound from both wheels in front *please help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Strange sound from both wheels in front *please help!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I have a 2005 V that I recently purchased and have a strange noise from both front wheels. It ...
    jmsweetv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Strange sound from both wheels in front *please help!!!

So I have a 2005 V that I recently purchased and have a strange noise from both front wheels. It sounds like there is a little rock stuck in the tire and makes a constant clicking sound that get faster as the wheels spin faster. I have a hard time describing what it sounds like....it like when I was little and put a playing card by the spokes of my bicycle wheel to make noise. When I break it is still there but sound is a little deeper in sound. I had my mechanic look at it when he was doing my alignment and couldn't see anything that was obstructing anything. Its not a grinding or a squealing noise. Something sounds like it is clipping something else.

Anyone hear of this? It doesn't matter if I turn or straight. I cannot feel anything in the steering wheel or brake pedal. It does not sound like a wheel bearing. Could it be the tires? My tires are worn on the edges a little but 8/32 tread Goodyear rsa.

I've tested everything and look and cannot figure it out. I've had no success searching this forum or others.

Please help!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Strange sound from both wheels in front *please help!!!

Nail in the tire? Did it make this sound before the alignment?

gruvent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Broken tps?

No nail and tps is fine. Yes, it did make the noise pre alignment.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Have you rotated the tires? If so, does the noise move with the tires?

seeyouinajif is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I would check again for nails. Sometimes the heads wear off and they can be difficult to see. Also listen to darkman, rotate the tires to see if noise moves.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Rotating the tires was my first thought, too.

Have you pulled a wheel off and spun the rotor/hub to see if there's any noticeable sound?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jmsweetv View Post
    So I have a 2005 V that I recently purchased and have a strange noise from both front wheels. It sounds like there is a little rock stuck in the tire and makes a constant clicking sound that get faster as the wheels spin faster. I have a hard time describing what it sounds like....it like when I was little and put a playing card by the spokes of my bicycle wheel to make noise. When I break it is still there but sound is a little deeper in sound. I had my mechanic look at it when he was doing my alignment and couldn't see anything that was obstructing anything. Its not a grinding or a squealing noise. Something sounds like it is clipping something else.

Anyone hear of this? It doesn't matter if I turn or straight. I cannot feel anything in the steering wheel or brake pedal. It does not sound like a wheel bearing. Could it be the tires? My tires are worn on the edges a little but 8/32 tread Goodyear rsa.

I've tested everything and look and cannot figure it out. I've had no success searching this forum or others.

Please help!!!!!
    Hello jmsweetv,

I apologize for the clipping sound your vehicle is experiencing. I am sorry I cannot offer any technical advice because I am not a certified technician. If you are going to get a mechanic or certified technician to look at your vehicle again, let me know, because I do care about a solution for your issue. If there are other questions or concerns that arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

jonathan2169 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello jmsweetv,

I apologize for the clipping sound your vehicle is experiencing. I am sorry I cannot offer any technical advice because I am not a certified technician. If you are going to get a mechanic or certified technician to look at your vehicle again, let me know, because I do care about a solution for your issue. If there are other questions or concerns that arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    @Cadillac Cust Svc a bot?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan2169 View Post
    @Cadillac Cust Svc a bot?
    Hi jonathan2169,

No, definitely not a bot! I am here to assist you in any way that I can. Is there anything I can help answer for you?

Regards,

Laura M.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    pwned!

Yes, rotated tires and still there. I can take the tires out of the equation. Spun the rotors with wheel off and no sound...so could be when weight of car is on the hub.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmsweetv View Post
    Yes, rotated tires and still there. I can take the tires out of the equation. Spun the rotors with wheel off and no sound...so could be when weight of car is on the hub.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, the only parts at the front of the car rotating at the same speed of the tires (as indicated by the original description of the symptom) are the hubs (bearings) and rotors with the spindle and brake pads being candidates by association. The only possibility that comes to mind is something like a loose fender well hitting the tire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.