04 V - Won't Shift into 1st - bent shifter fork?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 04 V - Won't Shift into 1st - bent shifter fork? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have learned a ton from everyone's posts. Honestly, I haven't done that ...
    badnews338 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

04 V - Won't Shift into 1st - bent shifter fork?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have learned a ton from everyone's posts. Honestly, I haven't done that much work on my own car, but I'm not exactly stupid when it comes to mechanics either. My dad taught me a ton. That being said... i bought this 2004 V thinking i got a wicked deal even at 150k miles. I knew it needed some transmission work, but I thought that the cost of a rebuild would still be a good deal. So i bought it, and got some transmission work done. I replaced a lot of parts. Got some bronze shifter pads from tick performance, and a new reverse, 2nd, and output shaft. It was a ton of work and set me back quite a bit. Anyway, while going on a little cruise through the canyons in utah, i noticed all of a sudden it won't shift into 1st. No matter what i do... go to reverse first then to 1st, go to second then to 1st, double clutch... doesn't matter. It's not goin into first. I'm pretty bummed at how much the transmission rebuild cost... (not to mention i can't pass emissions yet, which we will get to later) does this sound like a bent shifter fork issue, or perhaps just the shifter in general? i've tried everything to get it into first. Also, i did have a stage 1 monster clutch installed. Its definitely disengaging/engaging, and the fluid looks good and is full. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 04 V - Won't Shift into 1st - bent shifter fork?

See attached.

Thanks a ton. I'll go through this and see whats up.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I would bleed the clutch. That's what the problem was for me when I couldn't access 1st.

I haven't been able to get to the bottom of this yet. had some other things come up this week, but im hoping i'll get it figured out this weekend. I'll post any results.

well, a month later, I got my car out of the shop. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, took it in and the first gear synchro was cracked. It was covered under warranty thankfully.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.