LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; A day after a recent track day, I discovered an oil leak on the passenger side of my 2004 CTS-V's ...
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side

A day after a recent track day, I discovered an oil leak on the passenger side of my 2004 CTS-V's engine. It's near the front - oil was all over the power steering hoses, and even on the lower control arm. I have oil on the bottom of the oil pan, but I don't think that's where it's coming from, since it seems unlikely it would have migrated from there all the way up front.

The most likely answer is somewhere up on the passenger side of the engine - where are the common leak points I should be looking for? It's not dripping a mile a minute, but it is coating components. I also still have tranny fluid coming out on the track - which I assume is from the breather hose. Starting to get really wet down there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side

Are you sure it was not power steering fluid? I have had power steering fluid spill over at the track..

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    Are you sure it was not power steering fluid? I have had power steering fluid spill over at the track..
    I am reasonably sure, but I am going to go look again today. I actually checked power steering fluid level the day before I hit the track, and this oil I am finding feels thicker....I am also thinking that if it was flowing over, it would be on the driver's side of the car more than the passenger, because of where the fill point/cap is.

I replaced the hoses for the power steering along the area where the oil is congregating about 2 years ago, so I would be surprised if they were leaking again. Where did you notice your power steering fluid spillover when it happened to you?

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    I am reasonably sure, but I am going to go look again today. I actually checked power steering fluid level the day before I hit the track, and this oil I am finding feels thicker....I am also thinking that if it was flowing over, it would be on the driver's side of the car more than the passenger, because of where the fill point/cap is.

I replaced the hoses for the power steering along the area where the oil is congregating about 2 years ago, so I would be surprised if they were leaking again. Where did you notice your power steering fluid spillover when it happened to you?
    Min was driver's side but it did run down the lines a ways. the second time with my "upgraded PS cooler", the cooler sprung a leak and shot PS fluid everywhere.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Considering the fans can blow fluids everywhere, it's likely to be either. I zip tie a couple layers of an old tshirt around the power steering reservoir cap just because of this common issue.

Take some samples from your power steering and motor oil dip sticks on a white towel and compare to the leak. Smell them too. I don't recommend licking them, but you might be in to that.

Is there fluid on the hood's heat padding namely directly above the PS tank?

I was traveling yesterday and Thurs (and again tomorrow) but I am going to take a closer look at the car this afternoon. Fortunately, I don't have to drive it anytime soon.

JDB - I will try the paper towel to examine the colors. It just seemed thick enough to be motor oil, but it was also dark and I was using a flashlight to peer up inside the engine.

I will also try the t shirt trick when I am on the track. I wish there was a similar trick I could do for my tranny fluid track leak.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you can also burn a sample of the fluids on a q-tip and observe the flame ... then burn the leaking fluid on a q-tip and see which one it matches

they will burn different color flames
    robojesus likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Another great suggestion - this is why I love this board so much. Thanks for all of the help, guys.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i can't take credit for that idea ... i did find it on here ... I think it was 00 Deville who first turned me on to the burnt q-tip idea
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

If it's engine oil, could it be coming from the dipstick tube? Valve cover gasket?

Just trying to think of a relatively benign cause.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I've managed to pinpoint the leak after cleaning and watching - it looks to be the front passenger side of the oil pan.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Is it cracked? Is it the gasket? If it is the gasket maybe just tightening up the bolts may help.

Is it easy to over-torque the oil pan? I am thinking it could be loose as well (or gasket). The oil pan has a warning on it not to overtighten past the shop manual guidelines.

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V
    Is it leaking under the timing cover?

Well, it's the right front of the engine at the oil pan. The timing cover covers the entire front of the engine, correct? It seems to be more oil pan specific than timing cover specific. But I can check again later today (car is up on jack stands).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.