LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Try re-torque them at the right ft lbs just to check. That way you cant over do them if it ...
    odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side

Try re-torque them at the right ft lbs just to check. That way you cant over do them if it is still to spec.

PISNUOFF Guest

My front main seal always looked like it was leaving from that spot. Maybe yours has eaten into the balancer like mine did, twice.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I was underneath again tonight and I took some pictures.

Further analysis reveals that the leak might be higher than I thought. You can see both the passenger side, where it is really bad, and a little bit above the oil filer on the driver's side, in these shots.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated!

Attached Images

PISNUOFF Guest

What's it look like at the top, behind the intake manifold?

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Havent read previous posts, but it might be a motor mount that broke. The fluid looks brown when it dries

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Havent read previous posts, but it might be a motor mount that broke. The fluid looks brown when it dries
    I am running 80a poly mounts from revshift.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    What's it look like at the top, behind the intake manifold?
    I will take another look tonight, but after the track last night it looked dry. Blocked PCV maybe? It only seems to come out when the engine is running, I've had it up on a lift and washed the underside, and half a day sitting revealed no leak. Driving the car got it going again.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I'm turned around a bit. Is that anywhere near the dipstick tube?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

It's on the same side of the engine as the dipstick tube, but the tube itself appears to be dry at the top - last time I checked.

It happens during normal driving, so I don't see how it could be blowing out the tube - if it was exclusively on the track, then maybe, but during normal driving?

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

it could blow out of the tube if you have a clogged PCV line (ask me how i know).

i'd also take that cover off and check for oil in the bellhousing.

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    i'd also take that cover off and check for oil in the bellhousing.
    which cover specifically?

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    which cover specifically?
    There's the two little black covers that go on either side of the bell housing, at between 8-9 o'clock and 3-4 o'clock. One is the trim to keep water from getting into the bell from the starter, the other goes over the other side so they can generically use the engine-trans on other cars and easily swap starter locations. I have a feeling like you might have a little oil blowing through there, although I could definitely be wrong

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Ok I saw the pics....sorry I didn't look before.

When you put the oil pan back on you have to use some RTV in the corners where the timing chain covers connects to it. Either that is missing, or not enough, or it was never cleaned off when reinstalled. This is a common spot that has the potential to leak.

The oil pan bolts do not take much TQ at all (106 INCH lbs IIRC) they could also be over or under torqued.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Your other pics were outstanding. Can you post up more now that you seem to have it pinpointed?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Back everyone - sorry I bought a house last week and it's been keeping me away from the car.

I think it's the oil pan - that's what seems to make the most sense so far. After a track session this week I examined the top of the engine, but I couldn't find any oil anywhere, really, except for what looked like a bit of older staining near the front of the passenger side valve cover. I am going to try re-gasketing the oil pan and see if that helps. I have a few weeks before my next track date, so that should give me time to do it.

I really appreciate everyone's help on tracking this down. I hope that will solve my problem.

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v
    I had a oil pan done on mine looked wet in the same areas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.