04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just bought a 04 CTS-v under the impression the motor needed to be replaced. The engine was running rough ...
    av8erdunn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a 04 CTS-v under the impression the motor needed to be replaced. The engine was running rough and would die if you let it idle; I got it home run a scan and came up with codes P0101 MAF and P0300 Random / multiple misfire. I drove the car home and it would run decent as long as I kept the RPM's above around 2800 RPM. If it dropped below that it seemed like it would start misfiring worse but I guess its only more noticeable with a low RPM vs high RPM.Is that a reasonable assumption? Any ideas on what could be the cause? I am thinking about changing the MAF and see what happens but I would rather not spend the money if there is a way to clean it or if there may be another issue causing both codes.

Forgot to mention that if am making the engine stay around 1200-1500 RPM I smell a very rich (unburned fuel) exhaust smell if I am just sitting in the driveway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!!

See attached.

odla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Check your plugs and wires. Cheap and may say a lot.

Sorry for the delayed response; I am going to check the plugs when I get back in town. Is there a way to test coil packs?

Quote Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response; I am going to check the plugs when I get back in town. Is there a way to test coil packs?
    The computer codes generally point to the problem. I would follow the trouble shooting charts for the codes you have before checking things at random. I have attached DTC P0106 because it is listed in the DTC P0101 chart. The P0300 code you have is a general misfire/vibration code that can be caused by anything from a failing rod to a bent wheel, so I would chase the P0101 first.

Ok. I bought the car from my best friends wife when he passed away in a flying accident. He was a gm service manager and recieved world class status from ase certification so the guy knew his stuff. Me on the other hand, I design aircraft engines for a living and have built many aircraft, motorcycle, boat, jet ski etc. engines but never an auto engine. That being said, I am no dummy but when it comes to diagnosing a possible electrical / sensor issue I am eager to learn. She didn't want to sell the car but doesn't have the money to fix it. It was sitting idle while she was getting her tires serviced with air and it started idling really rough and finally died. The engine has developed a slight tick from the right side but not a knock so to speak only a slight tick. I cleaned the maf with electrode cleaner but it didn't help. I have since run it again and it had a few other codes pop up as well. We were going out of town and the wife made me leave before I was finished checking all codes. I will let y'all know as soon as I get back in town. I hope I can salvage the motor but worst case I have a ls3 waiting to be put in. The car has been run hard but still ran good until this point. The reason I was going to check plugs due to the fact he had the headers off at the time he passed and his other friend put them back on and I wondered if he may have damaged one during installation. Could that cause the mentioned codes? I will be completely honest with you, the first PDF you sent with p0101 diagnostics I pretty dang confusing. What program do I need to buy in order to perform the testing from that document? Like to monitor throttle position etc. ? Thanks for taking the time to help.

The trouble shooting charts do assume that you have a GM Tech II scanner, which allows you check certain parameters as well as turn various circuits on and off on the fly. These are expensive, but many non-dealer shops have them.

If the headers were off the car it is likely the entire intake, including the MAF were also off the car. It is also possible the MAP tube at the back of the intake manifold (passenger side) was off. So you may be looking for an uninstalled / mis-installed tube or wire anywhere around the engine. And spark plugs are often broken during header installations.

The maf or any other parts really were not off the engine as he was only replacing the motor mounts. The engine has a very noticeable miss and smokes/ smells of fuel when revved up. It really smells rich when idling. Would a broken spark plug cause a maf code? I don't see how they would be related. But like I said I am here to learn. Thanks

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Ok reading your post reminds me of when I was messing with some Bolt ons and tuning on my 04 Burban. I know it isn't the same car but very similar motors with very similar codes. Mine usually was a fueling/tuning issue. I was running to much fuel or to little after messing with things. It could be something like checking all plugs and wires and maybe getting some tune flashed on it and go from there. If he had those other parts on there and some things could have changed the tune might not be right for what is on there now. Just a thought but you never know. Like you said you have other options if you can't figure out what is going on with what you got now so why not reflash and start fresh just to see? Just my .02.

BDV

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    Ok reading your post reminds me of when I was messing with some Bolt ons and tuning on my 04 Burban. I know it isn't the same car but very similar motors with very similar codes. Mine usually was a fueling/tuning issue. I was running to much fuel or to little after messing with things. It could be something like checking all plugs and wires and maybe getting some tune flashed on it and go from there. If he had those other parts on there and some things could have changed the tune might not be right for what is on there now. Just a thought but you never know. Like you said you have other options if you can't figure out what is going on with what you got now so why not reflash and start fresh just to see? Just my .02.

BDV
    Nothing changed; the only thing that was changed was the motor mounts. I cleaned the maf but that all. The tune should be fine. He was a dealer for diablo sport so I am trying to get access to his tuning account.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Sorry for your loss, av8

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Sorry for your loss, av8
    Thank you!!! I am really not disappointed if this motor is toast as I will build the car to what he eventually wanted to do. That's why he had an ls3 ready to go in and also had a 7.2 stroker him and his 13yo son was putting into a vw karmenn ghia. That's right I said 7.2 in a vw ghia. He loved building things. He once rebuilt an airplane in the garage of his house. He would test run it tied to a tree in the back yard of a nice residential neighborhood. Dang I miss that guy.

Well I got home today and connected the battery and started the engine. It ran real rough and I had to keep my foot on it to keep it from dying. As long as I keep the rpms up to 1200 or so it will stay running. If I let off it dies. It finally threw another code but this time it was only the p0101 MAF code . Would a bad MAF cause this problem? I have a feeling if I would have kept it running, it would have eventually thrown the p0300 misfire code but I can't say for sure. I also pulled a couple plugs and tested them and they had good spark. I will pull the others tomorrow to make sure they are good.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I ran my last car without the maf connected for like 20 minutes... Total accident after finishing an install of some turbo charge pipes before leaving for the midnight shift. The car ran fine. I'm not saying that your maf isn't bad, but your car can run without it.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    I ran my last car without the maf connected for like 20 minutes... Total accident after finishing an install of some turbo charge pipes before leaving for the midnight shift. The car ran fine. I'm not saying that your maf isn't bad, but your car can run without it.
    Well that sucks!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.