04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The P0101 can be caused by the following: 1. The harness to the MAF sensor is routed too close to: ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 04 CTS-V with codes!!!!!!!!!!!!

The P0101 can be caused by the following:
    1. The harness to the MAF sensor is routed too close to: (a) the secondary ignition wires or coils; (b) a solenoid, (c) a relay, or (d) a motor.
    2. A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore at idle or during deceleration caused by: (a) deposits on the throttle plate or in the throttle bore; (b) any vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor; or (c) any contamination or debris on the sensing elements of the MAF sensor.
    3. Water intrusion that reaches the MAF sensor.
    4. Any significant restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system.
    5. A defective MAF/IAT sensor.
    6. A skewed or stuck Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.
    7. High resistance of 15 ohms or more on the ignition 1 voltage circuit. (This high resistance may cause a drivability concern before this DTC sets.)
    8. High resistance on the low reference circuit of the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor.
    9. A short to voltage on the 5 volt reference circuit of the MAP sensor.
    10. A restriction in the MAP intake manifold tube.
    11. Any leak in the throttle body or intake manifold, including an unplugged MAP or brake vacuum tube.
    12. A defective MAP.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ode-p0101.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-low-idle.html

Edit: Supplemental Info

Since this error code can be caused by intermittent signals from powertrain management sensors (MAP, ECT, or MAF) another potential cause is bad grounding caused by oxidation of the engine harness-related grounds. This oxidation is not readily apparent because it does not look like the corrosion that can develop on battery terminals. The fix is to pull the grounds and freshen them with some abrasive material - star washers can also help.

The critical grounds on the CTS-V include: the negative battery terminal; the ground located just beneath the hood stick mount; the ground located on the back of the passenger-side cylinder head; and the two grounds located on the back of the driver's-side cylinder head.

av8erdunn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I will look into the mentioned possible causes and let y'all know.

Thanks

I got home and pulled the the valve covers and found a broken exhaust valve spring on cylinder 3. I am ordering a new set from texas speed tonight.

http://texas-speed.com/p-1383-ls6-va...od-to-550.aspx

Are they a good choice?

Now if you can enlighten me as to why the the engine would run like crap with this condition. The valve appears to still be closing all the way; I know this is the problem but I didn't think a broken exhaust valve spring would have caused such a bad running engine since the valve isn't stuck open and is still operative but slow on response.

Thanks again for all the help.

Well the good thing is that you did not drop a valve into the cylinder.

The LS6 valve springs are a direct replacement for what you have. You could look at upgraded springs, but most would bring the need to upgrade pushrods and perhaps some other hardware.

The broken spring means the exhaust valve is never actually closed.

I hope this is the only problem. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Well the good thing is that you did not drop a valve into the cylinder.

The LS6 valve springs are a direct replacement for what you have. You could look at upgraded springs, but most would bring the need to upgrade pushrods and perhaps some other hardware.

The broken spring means the exhaust valve is never actually closed.

I hope this is the only problem. Good Luck.
    What's the chances I got away without doing any damage to the piston?
    I know the amount of clearance between valves and pistons are at a minimum already.

Quote Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post
    What's the chances I got away without doing any damage to the piston?
    I know the amount of clearance between valves and pistons are at a minimum already.
    I don't know the odds, but folks break LS6 springs around from time to time with no damage. The un-sprung valve offers little resistance to the piston. You do need to check for a bent valve, and if you could get your hands on a bore scope you could look at the piston. Obviously, the proper check is to pull the head and look if you are so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I don't know the odds, but folks break LS6 springs around from time to time with no damage. The un-sprung valve offers little resistance to the piston. You do need to check for a bent valve, and if you could get your hands on a bore scope you could look at the piston. Obviously, the proper check is to pull the head and look if you are so inclined.
    I will check for a bent valve and I will check to see if we got our bore scope fixed at work yet. One of the mechanics decided to turn the prop on an airplane engine with the bore scope in it to get a better view. Upon doing so the scope was crushed; genius!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to ask but should I replace the rocker arm bolts or can I reuse them?

There are no valve lash adjustments since it has bolts instead of studs on this engnine, right?

There are no valve lash adjustments since it has bolts instead of studs on this engnine, right?
    Correct, the pushrod length establishes the amount of preload on the hydraulic lifters. It is essentially zero lash for your purposes.

Ok I am in the process of doing the spring change and I am putting the piston at top dead center so the valves won't drop but I am finding post with different firing orders for the ls6. So what is the correct firing order?

Thank you!!! I finished up last night at about 11:00 and she is running just fine. Thanks for everyone's help. It's really appreciated. Now that this engine is ok and doesn't need replacement, I can focus on stroking the ls3 into a 416 and not have to be in a hurry about it.

Thanks again

Thank you!!! I finished up last night at about 11:00 and she is running just fine. Thanks for everyone's help. It's really appreciated. Now that this engine is ok and doesn't need replacement, I can focus on stroking the ls3 into a 416 and not have to be in a hurry about it.

Thanks again
    Update .... I ran the car for a few minutes and I can still tell it has a misfire. I should have changed the plugs while I was in there. Its giving me a po352 and a po302 code. I could see the po302 cyl 2 misfire being caused by the plug because I accidently put the plug from cyl3 with the broken spring into cyl 2 and now I get the code. Where do I start? Plug change?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.