A/C Condenser Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, A/C Condenser Help in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I searched for some previous threads about this but they all involved the compressor failing. I hit an animal that ...
    jeph054 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

A/C Condenser Help

I searched for some previous threads about this but they all involved the compressor failing. I hit an animal that dented my condenser. I noticed some green moisture but it never dripped or puddled. I checked this after it happened and continually for months after and I never saw any evidence on the ground of leakage. The A/C worked all summer. Well winter went and summer is back and now I have no A/C. Obliously it had a teeny leak so i need to replace the Condenser. I know there is a little bit of R134a left as on not so hot days its cold. just the hot ones it cant keep up. So as soon as i break the seal will I need to change the dryer as well? I was hoping this would be fairly straight forward. Im I missing a bunch of things/steps? I do not have a lot of experience with AC as this is why I'm asking. I know when I am done, the system will need to be vaccumed out and recharged which I will have done by a professional.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: A/C Condenser Help

See attached.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Definitely change the dryer. The drier is filled with "silica jell beads" same as that stuff you see in little packets when you get a new pair of shoes... that says "do not eat". It absorbs moisture until it is fully saturated, there is no way to tell how much life is left in it so anytime you open the system it is best to change the drier. Moisture left to circulate in the system is not good for the compressor.
    Being they are usually cheap, I would change out the orifice tube also just to ensure maximum efficiency; they have screens that can get clogged.

My company designs and builds A/C units for Cranes, Ambulances, RV's, Buses etc.

Thanks for the Help. It looks like the Dryer is actually attached to the condenser. I will have to check to see if it has all the parts I need to do the job.

so i see the desiccant bag and filter are inside of the drier that is attached to the condenser. Where is the Orifice tube located?

Quote Originally Posted by jeph054 View Post
    so i see the desiccant bag and filter are inside of the drier that is attached to the condenser. Where is the Orifice tube located?
    My information on HVAC is cataloged by processes as opposed to parts. (And I am ignorant when it comes to ACs) What process relates to the Orifice Tube? Could it have a different name?

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    I'm not entirely sure if the CTS has an orifice tube or TXV... If its orifice tube I'd definitely replace it... If its TXV I wouldn't worry about pulling the dash to replace it since you didn't have a compressor failure... If the receiver/drier is attached to the condenser then it simplifies things and that's one less part to get... I would replace the condenser, receiver/drier if separate, add a few ounces of oil, vacuum and recharge...

TXV reference in the attached.

Thanks fellas...I appreciate it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.