New tires installed last week--flat today!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New tires installed last week--flat today! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Just bitchin. Waiting at a gas station for a tow. Had some General G-Max AS 03s put on the car ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

New tires installed last week--flat today!

Just bitchin. Waiting at a gas station for a tow.

Had some General G-Max AS 03s put on the car last week. Road force balanced and everything.

The one odd thing is that the installer insisted on inflating them to 36
    PSI. Could that have contributed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: New tires installed last week--flat today!

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Nope.

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven
    Probably a loose TPMS

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsfan4life View Post
    Probably a loose TPMS
    What makes you say that?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Can you see any puncture?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Same thing happened to me when I had a set of GSD3s installed several years ago.

Stuff happens.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Just bitchin. Waiting at a gas station for a tow.

Had some General G-Max AS 03s put on the car last week. Road force balanced and everything.

Generally the Tire pressure sticker on the door only refers to the OE tire (Goodyear F1 runflats? ). As soon as you put something different on your car that sticker can pretty much be thrown out as every tire manufacturer has different sidewall construction, tread compound and internal material overlays that will have different ride characteristics. A runflat has an extra layer of sidewall so generally doesn't need as much pressure to maintain an even contact patch. Going to a non-runflat tire it would be recommended that you increase your tire pressure a few psi.

If you are finding that the vehicle ride has become harsh at 36psi drop the pressure down a couple psi. It'll pretty much be trial an error. Keep an eye on tire wear and you should be fine. I run my 245/45R18 Michelin Super Sports at 30-32 psi and the ride is great.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven

What makes you say that?
    Because the last two sets of tires I've got (two different places)..., they didn't tighten the TPMS and I had flats..
    carlson_mn and carlson_mn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Can you see any puncture?
    No, not in the dark. I had it towed to the shop that installed it. Do any of you guys know what it takes to get a replacement under warranty if the tire was defective? I bought then through tire rack and had them installed by a preferred installer.

No, not in the dark. I had it towed to the shop that installed it. Do any of you guys know what it takes to get a replacement under warranty if the tire was defective? I bought then through tire rack and had them installed by a preferred installer.
    You most likely have a small puncture or the only other place that it could leak is the tpms/valve stem. In either case you won't be getting a replacement tire. Just have the shop pull the nail if it exists and install a plug and vulcanize the inside of the tire where the puncture is, then put a patch over it. If it turns out there is no puncture and you are still losing air, I would have the shop dismount the tire and clean up the rim bead of any corrosion (they should have done that before mounting the tires) and remount. I had a slow leak on one of my other cars tires and it turned out to be a cracked wheel!

Generally the only time a manufacturer will replace the tire is if you have an unusual malformation in the sidewall or if the tread cap is delaminating from the tire carcass.

You drive a car, you are more than likely to run over stuff. Punctures can happen on old tires and new. You most likely just have a case of bad luck. Either way the tire will most likely be able to be fixed without any durability concerns if you can't visually see any gouges in it.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

Thanks for this great detail. Unfortunately, I could tell the tire was toast, even in the dark. It was actually my wife driving, with our baby in the car, and she had to drive it about 1/4 mile from the off-ramp to a gas station that was the first safe place to pull over. It was either that short drive or the puncture itself, but I could see the sidewall was ripped in at least one place.

Quote Originally Posted by barrok69 View Post
    You most likely have a small puncture or the only other place that it could leak is the tpms/valve stem. In either case you won't be getting a replacement tire. Just have the shop pull the nail if it exists and install a plug and vulcanize the inside of the tire where the puncture is, then put a patch over it. If it turns out there is no puncture and you are still losing air, I would have the shop dismount the tire and clean up the rim bead of any corrosion (they should have done that before mounting the tires) and remount. I had a slow leak on one of my other cars tires and it turned out to be a cracked wheel!

Generally the only time a manufacturer will replace the tire is if you have an unusual malformation in the sidewall or if the tread cap is delaminating from the tire carcass.

You drive a car, you are more than likely to run over stuff. Punctures can happen on old tires and new. You most likely just have a case of bad luck. Either way the tire will most likely be able to be fixed without any durability concerns if you can't visually see any gouges in it.

----------

You know a lot about tires, and you explain yourself well. Indeed, the ride on the General G-Max's at 36 PSI was awesome. Much better grip, better cornering and smoother ride than the previous summer tires I had on there at 32 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by barrok69 View Post
    Generally the Tire pressure sticker on the door only refers to the OE tire (Goodyear F1 runflats? ). As soon as you put something different on your car that sticker can pretty much be thrown out as every tire manufacturer has different sidewall construction, tread compound and internal material overlays that will have different ride characteristics. A runflat has an extra layer of sidewall so generally doesn't need as much pressure to maintain an even contact patch. Going to a non-runflat tire it would be recommended that you increase your tire pressure a few psi.

If you are finding that the vehicle ride has become harsh at 36psi drop the pressure down a couple psi. It'll pretty much be trial an error. Keep an eye on tire wear and you should be fine. I run my 245/45R18 Michelin Super Sports at 30-32 psi and the ride is great.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Did you get TR's road hazard?

If it went down quickly and you have working TPMS, then it was probably a major catastrophic tire destruction. Did she notice any warning lights from low pressure?

TR may work with you even if you don't have road hazard...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Did you get TR's road hazard?

If it went down quickly and you have working TPMS, then it was probably a major catastrophic tire destruction. Did she notice any warning lights from low pressure?

TR may work with you even if you don't have road hazard...
    No, I didn't buy road hazard

She didn't notice anything until the tire went out. She said it was like a sudden thwoosh, like a giant balloon ripping a fart.

Hopefully TR can work with me.

Bummer on the no road hazard. Hopefully they will work with you.

I buy all my tires and wheels from Discount tire, even if they don't have them they will just buy them from tirerack or wherever online, pricematch and offer any promotions that currently are running and apply them to my purchase. I used to buy the road hazards, but found that they still pro-rate the tires even if you have a flat or catastrophic failure. I had a snow tire with a sidewall tear from a pothole. Brought it in and they said it only had 1/32" wear on it so they pro-rated it using whatever calculation they have and I only had to pay $20 for the new tire, and they balanced and installed for free.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'm going with leaking TPMS = running at lower than normal pressure for a while = sidewall failure. You won't get a low pressure alarm until somewhere around 20#, so if you don't pay attention you can drive around on an underinflated tire without getting an alarm.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.