New tires installed last week--flat today! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New tires installed last week--flat today! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by AAIIIC I'm going with leaking TPMS = running at lower than normal pressure for a while = ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: New tires installed last week--flat today!

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I'm going with leaking TPMS = running at lower than normal pressure for a while = sidewall failure. You won't get a low pressure alarm until somewhere around 20#, so if you don't pay attention you can drive around on an underinflated tire without getting an alarm.
    I drove around hard for a couple of days without any decrease in tire pressure. Also, doesn't TPMS warn you when you get a set PSI decrease? I've gotten low warnings on one of my old tires that used to lose air around 24 PSI.

Anyway, here is a picture of the tire. The shop says it looks like road hazard. If it is a road hazard, then someone either shot the sidewall on the freeway, or knifed it when it was parked or something. What does this look like to you guys?

8WHmTiCl.jpg

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

It's hard to tell anything from that pic...

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I once drove over a piece of metal that did similar looking damage...
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

These are the tires I plan on getting next... glad you liked them while it lasted. I had great luck with General tires previously they make good stuff. Cheapest price is from tirebuyer.com but not sure about their service.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Anyway, here is a picture of the tire. The shop says it looks like road hazard. If it is a road hazard, then someone either shot the sidewall on the freeway, or knifed it when it was parked or something. What does this look like to you guys?
    It looks like a 240x320 pixel picture of something. I didn't know it was possible to take a picture that small these days.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    These are the tires I plan on getting next... glad you liked them while it lasted. I had great luck with General tires previously they make good stuff. Cheapest price is from tirebuyer.com but not sure about their service.
    Tire rack sold me a replacement tire at half off as a couresty, because I had literally bought the last set last week. That was pretty decent of them. If you link through ebates, you also get a couple percent off.

After looking at the pictures, I'm convinced this was a road hazard if not an intentional knifing.

This reminds me of something. I have a creepy gangster-type relative that lives in another country. He once explained to me the etiquette of cutting someone's tires. If you just want inconvenience them, cut their tires so they go flat right there. If you stop short of that, they may get a flat on the road, and that could lead to major damage or loss of life. Only do that if you want to hurt them.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    It looks like a 240x320 pixel picture of something. I didn't know it was possible to take a picture that small these days.
    It's what I got from the shop. I'm just impressed they have a digital camera.

----------

Just bought road hazard protection on the 4 surviving tires since it's within 14 days of the original order. Hope I never use it.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    Now that you have road hazard coverage you are guaranteed to never need it.

odthetruth is offline Moderator

I know the feeling. Except this is very very easy to see. LOL
    NYC potholes.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Sorry to hear that, Od. I've been meaning to ask you, how do you drive your car in NYC? I once used a 1/4 tank of gas in stop and go traffic driving across manhattan!

I would doubt its vandalism. I've seen plenty of scenarios of things that could gash a sidewall...

Sorry to hear that, Od. I've been meaning to ask you, how do you drive your car in NYC? I once used a 1/4 tank of gas in stop and go traffic driving across manhattan!
    I daily my car in NYC all year round. I average around 10mpg or less, but truth of the matter is, my drive is pretty quick to and from the job to the house and its primarily at night. I try to dodge all the bullshit streets that I know are always in bad shape or under construction. If you get caught going northbound from midtown manhattan at like 5-6pm... forget it. You're talking 2-3 hours depending where you are going.

Point is to dodge the major streets depending on time of day. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    I daily my car in NYC all year round. I average around 10mpg or less, but truth of the matter is, my drive is pretty quick to and from the job to the house and its primarily at night. I try to dodge all the bullshit streets that I know are always in bad shape or under construction. If you get caught going northbound from midtown manhattan at like 5-6pm... forget it. You're talking 2-3 hours depending where you are going.

Point is to dodge the major streets depending on time of day. LOL
    I have you beat by 1.9 mpg in Baltimore, lol. Yeah, it makes sense that if you live there, you driver smarter. By the way, do the cops give you trouble if your car is cammed with headers and catback, etc? That city is CRAWLING with popo with nothing to do, unlike Baltimore, where you pretty much have to stab someone in front of them to get them to lift an eyebrow.

I have you beat by 1.9 mpg in Baltimore, lol. Yeah, it makes sense that if you live there, you driver smarter. By the way, do the cops give you trouble if your car is cammed with headers and catback, etc? That city is CRAWLING with popo with nothing to do, unlike Baltimore, where you pretty much have to stab someone in front of them to get them to lift an eyebrow.
    I've had the cops locally say "Lets hear it!" to me on more then one occasion. Once was just 2 guys in a squad car that really just wanted to hear it so I opened it up a bit for them. 2nd time was about 4-5 on foot patrol, and they had been out here writing tickets all week, so I didn't.

Its rare I get bothered in manhattan for noise. I have headers (not cammed) with open cutouts that I'm leaving open until I can replace the motor in the actual cutout mechanism. NYC pothole removed it completely off and severed the line as well.

In brooklyn, its more of a reason TO get stopped to get pulled over and for them to flashlight the interior of your car more then anything. In the bronx, they are ready to write tickets for ANY LITTLE THING. I got pulled two times in one night within 2 miles of each other picking someone up at a hospital in the bronx.

I also got pulled over once for the radar detector I have mounted into the rearview, at night, on 42nd st and 8th ave, while it was OFF. The cop (female) was a real bitch to me right off the gate. I didn't even know why I was being pulled over, since I was at the red light for a solid minute and some change before she knocked on my window. I told her I was going to record her, and when she came back, she was the nicest person I had ever heard before... but by then I was already pissed and kind of just brushed her off. Her partner asked her 'why'd you say it like that' and she was like 'he was recording'. LOL Truth is... there are alot of bored cops out here it seems.

I have her response, as well as the cops asking me to open it up locally on camera. LOL

So yeah, you'll get pulled over if you're a bit loud out here in general. LOL

It's amazing the derelicts they'll let be moderators around here...

odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Radar detectors are illegal in NY?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.