HELP! HELP! Clutch bleeder fell in??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, HELP! HELP! Clutch bleeder fell in?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I absolutely cannot believe these guys that say they frequently bleed their clutch. After an hour, and after buying a ...
    JGeezer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 V (B&M, muffler delete), 2003 Corvette

HELP! HELP! Clutch bleeder fell in??

I absolutely cannot believe these guys that say they frequently bleed their clutch. After an hour, and after buying a different wrench & socket set, I managed to get the clutch bleed screw loose. Determined to never go through this again, I removed it to at least replace it with a speed bleeder (needed to remove it to get the right size), heard a bit of a clunk and can't find the bleeder. Looking at pics of the Tremec & bell, and trying to look around up there with a dental mirror - it looks like it can fall - and did fall - INTO the bell housing.

Hole.jpg

Is that possible> How hosed am I? Do I actually have to drop the transmission now - just because that freaking bleed screw is/was about impossible to get to!

Seriously - HELP!!!

[Edit #1]
    And while I have your attention, is is reasonable to install the Monster Clutch 36" CTS-V Remote Bleeder without pulling the trans? Never want to go though THIS again...

[Edit #2]
    Yep, Monster says you have to pull it, goes all the way into the slave. Are there any that just screw in where the bleeder was?

Not a good day so far...

JGeezer

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: HELP! HELP! Clutch bleeder fell in??

BTW, that's just a pic I found on the net, my car is still assembled, up on jackstands.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

What part did you remove?
    Attached Images

I guess I should of done a lot more research before starting what I THOUGHT should be a simple task. I could see the bleeder rubber cover way up there, took off the cover and got a wrench (socket, actually) on that to loosen it up, assuming it was a normal type bleeder at the end. Given that it was such a PITA to get to, I went ahead and kept unscrewing to take it out and replace it, but fumbling up there blind to finally remove it, it fell.

This thing, as viewed from underneath:

Bleed.jpg

Yeah, I assumed that there was an extension out from the slave with a bleed screw at the end. So what have I done?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I think you have dropped the bleeder tube inside and will have to drop the transmission to retrieve it.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

You can "fish" for it with a magnet.

A magnet on a telescopic wand will work.

If you get it out, reinstall by using something to make it "stick" in the socket or you will drop it back in.

I would not try to install a remote bleeder this way as I don't think you can torque it enough.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer View Post
    I guess I should of done a lot more research before starting what I THOUGHT should be a simple task. I could see the bleeder rubber cover way up there, took off the cover and got a wrench (socket, actually) on that to loosen it up, assuming it was a normal type bleeder at the end. Given that it was such a PITA to get to, I went ahead and kept unscrewing to take it out and replace it, but fumbling up there blind to finally remove it, it fell.

This thing, as viewed from underneath:

Attachment 108593

Yeah, I assumed that there was an extension out from the slave with a bleed screw at the end. So what have I done?
    You can not install a remote bleeder with the trans in the car.

The stock bleeder/tube is a solid piece. Picture a really really tall single piece brake bleeder. When you were loosening what you thought was just the end, you were actually loosening the entire tube, which fell off and into the bell housing.

Don't worry, you aren't the first person to do this.

Good luck fishing... When trying to reinstall it you could try tying a thin string to it so that if you drop it again you can pull it right back out.

Thank you all for not laughing me off the forum, and thanks for saying I'm not the first to do this!

Maybe I should just take it as a powerful sign, and go for the remote setup (the 36" monster, I guess), even though I'll need my friendly (and quite nearby) dealer to help. Not quite up to backing out the trans in the home shop. Add to that the embarrassment of getting towed. And then explaining this all to the lady...

Heavymetals - on the "fishing", I guess I'm still confused. I can imagine getting a small magnet on a string up there and into the hole, but when you say "telescoping wand" you need access from the top. How can you get that access with it in the car?

JGeezer

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer View Post
    Thank you all for not laughing me off the forum, and thanks for saying I'm not the first to do this!

Maybe I should just take it as a powerful sign, and go for the remote setup (the 36" monster, I guess), even though I'll need my friendly (and quite nearby) dealer to help. Not quite up to backing out the trans in the home shop. Add to that the embarrassment of getting towed. And then explaining this all to the lady...

Heavymetals - on the "fishing", I guess I'm still confused. I can imagine getting a small magnet on a string up there and into the hole, but when you say "telescoping wand" you need access from the top. How can you get that access with it in the car?

JGeezer
    Here:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0125xMPTLSx025

OR

Stick the magnet on a wire snake or a piece of wire you can easily bend to change angles.

A piece of string may work if you happen to "catch it".

Spastic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    I was trying to bleed my clutch once and dropped a socket in. I managed to get it out with a magnet taped to a coat hanger that I bent into a quarter circle shape. One tip is to not try and snake it from the opening where the bleeder is. There's another opening that I think was about halfway down the side from there, and it gave much easier access.

PISNUOFF Guest

Ouch! A little late but a short (3-4") 8mm box wrench and some 1/4" rubber tubing works great for bleeding with the stock bleeder. It's a little had to do your first time but not that bad.

The bleeder will fall out of the threads after only about 1 full turn.

DWF0551 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just bled mine also, and I used a gearwrench http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr...heting/spline/ and it worked just great. I did notice the whole thing was a bit loose and thought about it dropping in but thought naw they wouldn't design something like that would they? So don't feel to bad it's just luck that it doesn't happen to more of us.

To wrap this up:

I actually, incredibly, managed to fish the bleeder out of the lower hole! The Advance auto tool is kind of useless, but the Autozone tool is terrific, I'll advise anybody to pick one up for when you WILL need it, and it's less than ten bucks:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=617293_0_0_

Light at the end (not helpful this time), but the magnet is shielded so things will ONLY stick to the end, not the sizes, and very flexible and controllable.

Anyway.

So then I secured a socket onto the bleeder and a string, just in case. And then determined that it is just freaking impossible to feed that bleeder back into the top hole in the car, just not enough space to feed it in there.

So I got the great idea to feed a string (actually a safety wire) into that nice middle hole and out of the top hole so I could pull it though that way. Fed it in - and found that the safety wire had invisibly come out of a tiny additional hole above the top hole, and I was screwed all over again.

Sigh. (Not the word or words I used when I realized this had happened.)

My GM service manager Brad is a great guy, he'll put the Monster remote bleeder in as soon as it shows up and I get the V towed up there, and we had a nice time talking big blocks for awhile. My lady is OK, she didn't laugh at me or anything.

JGeezer

2004 CTS-V
    2003 Corvette

Sounds like two steps back for every one forward.

Welcome to MOD HELL

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

This is how I maintain my clutches (in the V and Z06); remove reservoir lid, suck out all old black fluid (the black in the fluid is clutch dust by the way), add new DOT 4, put the lid back on the reservoir, pump the clutch about 25 times (this recirculates the fluid). Repeat the above steps until the fluid is clear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.