New Radiator - what else to change out with it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Radiator - what else to change out with it? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was greeted with some unwelcome news when I got home from work last night. Looks like I'm going to ...
    JazMiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Redline

New Radiator - what else to change out with it?

I was greeted with some unwelcome news when I got home from work last night. Looks like I'm going to be putting in a new rad.

I'm kinda hoping that Alradco is putting a memorial day sale together .... :-)

So I figured I'd ask the forum, ... besides some new rivets for the lower plastic cover, replacement belts for AC and main serpentine, and a new thermostat, what else is common to fail or what other replacement/upgrades should I be planning for while the rad is out?
    (I'm stock under the hood)

Cheers,

Jason

rad leak.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: New Radiator - what else to change out with it?

Consider new radiator hoses and belt tensioner depending their ages/mileage.

Thx for that tip, I'll have a look at the tensioner. I was going to inspect the hoses, but unless something was wrong I wasn't planning on changing. I wouldn't think at my mileage I would need to replace any of these, but I guess I also would think this is a premature failure in the rad too.

31,000 miles on the odo on my 05.

At 31k the belt tensioner is probably okay. The hoses, on the other hand, deteriorate with the passage of time as well as mileage.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Replace the hoses to.

One hose is $150!

YEOW!

If you do the ALRADCO, it is a work of art.

I have a maggie and I think I would have had a lot easier time of it if I had just removed the front clip.

The intercooler hindered installation.

Holy carp, I wasn't expecting to see those hose prices at gmpartsdirect. Good thing I was sitting down cause I would have fallen over!

Placed my Alradco order. For anyone on the fence, I was pleasantly surprised that Alradco is running a Memorial Day sale that just started today, which offset my shipping and RMI-25.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

If you haven't yet, get your motor mounts done. My guess is bad motor mounts is the reason the OEM rads fail so often.

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

I was also shocked at the price of OEM radiator hoses, but was able to cross reference the part numbers and find that Gates makes hoses to fit the V, that you can snag online for $40:

Gates 23030 (Upper) $37 @ O'Reilly, $15.54 @ Amazon and $20.79 from RockAuto.com
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...=radiator+hose

Gates 23031 (Lower) $33 @ O'Reilly, $18 @ Amazon and $10.47 from RockAuto.com
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...=radiator+hose

The dealership replaced mine under warranty so I didn't order or test that these fit, but they are a heck of a lot less expensive than the OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    If you haven't yet, get your motor mounts done. My guess is bad motor mounts is the reason the OEM rads fail so often.
    Interesting idea. I've been putting off mounts for about a year. I have a set of Creative Steel mounts that I've moved from one side of the garage to the other a few times while doing other little things on the car instead of the bigger items like mounts. I'm working my way up the DIY ladder slowly to get there...

How?

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    How?
    Motor moving around will yank on stiff hoses connected to inevitably brittle plastic fittings on OEM rad. Why so many failures are to the hose fittings.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

HAMSTAR, not going to lie, when I read that post, I immediately thought "wow, that may just be the most retarded thing I've ever heard", then a few seconds later I thought, if the motor is sagging down and pulling on the cooling hose going to the top of the tank, then absolutely, that could cause the tank to eventually crack from stress. I like the way you think.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    HAMSTAR, not going to lie, when I read that post, I immediately thought "wow, that may just be the most retarded thing I've ever heard", then a few seconds later I thought, if the motor is sagging down and pulling on the cooling hose going to the top of the tank, then absolutely, that could cause the tank to eventually crack from stress. I like the way you think.
    Um, thanks, lol. Being a scientist, I tend to look at whole systems. I have to admit it was Fuzzy that first introduced the idea my shitty motor mounts (before I went to UMIs) were responsible for a whole slew of accessories that failed all around the same time.

Motor moving around will yank on stiff hoses connected to inevitably brittle plastic fittings on OEM rad. Why so many failures are to the hose fittings.
    The original radiators suffered from a poor crimp (metal on metal) at the bottom tank, which would leak under pressure by the high rpm operation of LS motor. The replacement design cured the lower tank crimp but introduced a new problem on the upper tank crimp. I have not seen, the second design but, I do not recall the original design (which I replaced) as having any plastic fittings related to the main upper or lower hoses. It did have, a plastic T-fitting which interconnected the rubber hose to the under hood overflow tank to the rubber hose running to the engine steam vents. The T-fitting can become brittle over time due to heat exposure, but is not particularly vulnerable to a variation in engine position. Finally, the upper and lower radiator hoses are designed to accommodate a significant variation in engine position without tension. The bottom line is that I haven't seen any evidence connecting the radiator problems with engine movement.

On my original OEM radiator, the place where the top hose and bottom hose connected were both plastic.

The only way to ever really get evidence is to compare the failure rate between those with and without bad mounts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.