Brake Rotors (Powdercoating)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brake Rotors (Powdercoating) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well, after months of griping to my wife and her griping at the service manager they have finally agreed to ...
    ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Brake Rotors (Powdercoating)

Well, after months of griping to my wife and her griping at the service manager they have finally agreed to replace my rotors. The hats are almost completely covered in rust. My question is this. I would like to send the new rotors before they put them on and have them powder coated silver so this wouldn't happen again. Does anyone know of a company that will do this and do a good job??

Thanks,
    Shane

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PneuBird is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Brake Rotors (Powdercoating)

Check your local paint shops and see if they have the oven to cook on the powdercoat.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Powdercoat is polyester basically. They use a 500 deg oven to bake it on. I would check the temp rating first to make sure you dont cook it. You can always use VHT. With an alloy wheel bolted on it might not get that hot though.

Comments? Anyone done this?

MRR
    MRR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Powdercoat is polyester basically. They use a 500 deg oven to bake it on. I would check the temp rating first to make sure you dont cook it. You can always use VHT. With an alloy wheel bolted on it might not get that hot though.

Comments? Anyone done this?
    You should not have a problem. A lot of Calipers are Powder Coated (ZO6). The rear hats on the Baer rotors on my Z-28 were Powder Coated.

MRR

$50.00 per pair with a lifetime warranty. Turn around time is two days if anyone is interested.

Link: http://www.discbrakesrus.com/nickelplating.htm

Shane

dreamcarc6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS V & 1993 Eldorado

Anybody else having the problem of the brake rotor hats rusting. Any solutions that seem to work that are easy. I am trying painting the hats. I thought about getting dealer to replace, but thought I would try painting first to see how that looks and lasts. If I have to send them away to get powdercoated, I may as well just take them to the dealer. Thoughts???

Dennisscars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt

Mine we're butt ugly from day one. They always landed rusted side up. Painted mine black to match car, I think it makes the rotors float out from rim and look even bigger. I disassembled and masked off wear area as not to contaminate pads. I used VHT rotor paint. Seems to be holding up but then I only drive on sunny days.
    http://www.stealthv.com/customers_vs.htm

I like the powder coat link, I wonder if they powder coat black?

Stangar is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisscars
    Mine we're butt ugly from day one. They always landed rusted side up. Painted mine black to match car, I think it makes the rotors float out from rim and look even bigger. I disassembled and masked off wear area as not to contaminate pads. I used VHT rotor paint. Seems to be holding up but then I only drive on sunny days.
    http://www.stealthv.com/customers_vs.htm

I like the powder coat link, I wonder if they powder coat black?
    Sure they will. Great look, by the way. Some of you could even paint the black area with whatever your car color is. The first one done in Redline, anyone?

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

gloss black or stain black?

Mine are gloss with a coat of Rejex on black only.

I think black with chrome wheels would look awesome on redline. The silver powdercoat on silver. There's a post here somewhere of silver on silver.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I've got the same issue, though it doesn't bother me enough to take it to a dealer. I know we have been warned that painting them while on the car is a bad idea, but I hate messing with wheel bearings and grease on a new car.

I might just try to paint them while on the car, perhaps at the next tire rotation. I'll stick with the factory "silver" since I like the look on the light platinum car (when they are clean). anybody tried that yet? Anybody know what can of silver spray paint (high heat) will match the factory color the closest?

-lazy doug

Well, I guess I'll make my recomendation since I'm the one that had mine powdercoated. If I had to do it over again I would have painted the factory hats and fins myself and then clear coated them. I think the powdercoate will hold up longer, but the paint could be touched up very easy. The company that powdercoated mine (link above) did a good job, but not great. I am very picky though. I think for all you guys that want the rotors to look better should invest in a two piece design that has the hat already painted in black or silver. I just haven't been able to find a company that has them for a reasonable price.

Shane

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i figure i'll do this when my new wheels come in....apparently taking the rotors off the car is a huge deal, so i'll just mask/cover parts i don't want to paint

CTS-VPaco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven/Ebony CTS-V

So, who makes a two piece rotor for our cars? Wilwood? Baer? Brembo? I'd like to snatch up a set!

It's no harder than changing pads.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.